PDA

View Full Version : next handgun?

sinlessorrow
02-28-12, 17:04
Hello, i did a search of this and turned up nothing so if this has been asked before in detail please direct me that way.

now im planning on getting another handgun soon and im trying to decide between the Beretta 92A1 and the Glock 17.

im wanting a reliable handgun that will always go bang, and for concealed carry.

Kain
02-28-12, 17:15
Both should be plenty reliable. Personally would lean towards a 3rd Gen Glock if you are wanting to conceal it for the simple reason I think there are more options out there for it and it is a smaller pistol. Neither are really made for concealed carry, not that you can't though.

Why those two pistols in particular? For carry and an all around pistol a Glock 19 would be a more logical choice in my opinion.

sinlessorrow
02-28-12, 17:18
Both should be plenty reliable. Personally would lean towards a 3rd Gen Glock if you are wanting to conceal it for the simple reason I think there are more options out there for it and it is a smaller pistol. Neither are really made for concealed carry, not that you can't though.

Why those two pistols in particular? For carry and an all around pistol a Glock 19 would be a more logical choice in my opinion.

well i want to keep it 9mm since i already have a good amount of that caliber, and i wasnt sure what the best glock was so i was just going with the 17

Kain
02-28-12, 17:24
well i want to keep it 9mm since i already have a good amount of that caliber, and i wasnt sure what the best glock was so i was just going with the 17

Understandable, if I was doing my purchases again I would likely stick to 9mm, .45ACP, .357, and .22 for pistols and ignore .40. As far as the best Glock.... I couldn't say. I've seen 17s, 19s, 22s, 23s, all run pretty hard and rarely exhibit issues. Granted I do personally run a 17 for most of my activities I do think the Beretta is a fine pistol and do plan on buying one of the 92FSA1 models at some point.

Grizzly16
02-28-12, 17:25
Glock 19.

Tzook
02-28-12, 17:31
19 will be a far superior choice for carry, and you really don't lose that much in sight radius. IMO, the Glock is superior to the 92 design in every way.

SpookyPistolero
02-28-12, 17:33
If everyone should own at least one colt ar, everyone should definitely own a glock 19.

S.E.R.T.
02-28-12, 17:58
glad to see the love for the glock 19. i have a model 22, 17, 19, and 26 and hands down the 19 is my favorite. have used berettas and they are reliable too but feel their weight and size generally leaves them as more of a home defense duty weapon role. my only complaint on the 19 was the finger bumps didnt line up with my fingers so i removed them and stippled the frame. especially for a concealed carry gun you would be happier with the glock due to the better resitance to wear and corrosion. carrying concealed during the summer months can wreak havoc on some finish's.

dwheelock
02-28-12, 18:50
I feel like the beretta is a bigger gun, especially for cc. G19 can't go wrong, great gun.

Blstr88
02-28-12, 18:56
I've got a 96a1 and couldnt be happier. Im a huge Beretta fan, I dont think they're given enough credit.

DanjojoUSMC
02-28-12, 19:15
Glock 19 is the ubiquitous choice with plenty of affordable Glock 17 mags for reloads. I love shooting the Beretta, and it would definitely be my choice for range and home duty, but the large grip and weight isn't ideal for concealed carry.

What pistol/s do you have now and which ones have you had the chance to shoot?

sinlessorrow
02-28-12, 19:17
Glock 19 is the ubiquitous choice with plenty of affordable Glock 17 mags for reloads. I love shooting the Beretta, and it would definitely be my choice for range and home duty, but the large grip and weight isn't ideal for concealed carry.

What pistol/s do you have now and which ones have you had the chance to shoot?

i have a PX4 and a 1911. ive shot a glock 21, a sig p226, a beretta 92fs, as well as my two handguns

KiloXray
02-28-12, 19:32
The 92 is a huge fat pig of a handgun. IIRC it weighs something like 33oz empty! That is TWO POUNDS. Having carried one 14-20 hours a day, every day for extended periods of time, I can assure you that there are better choices. Of the 2 you are asking about, the G17 is without a doubt the better choice. I think you would be better off with nearly ANY quality accepted polymer pistol than a Berretta 92. Mid size tends to be more of a jack of all trades (think G19 size)Examples: Springfield XD/XDM(compact or full frame), Glock 19/23/17/22, Walther PPQ/P99, HK P30/P2000, SW MP9, maybe even a CZ offering or 2.(obviosly not an all inclusive list, just some options)

Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy shooting the M9/92 but there is no way on earth I would carry one in a civilian capacity, certainly not concealed. There is actually a sentimental place in my heart for the M9, being my duty pistol. It would make a good house gun, BBQ gun, or range toy.

DanjojoUSMC
02-28-12, 19:45
Has the PX4 been 100% reliable? If it's reliable, accurate, and suits you - maybe use it for carry and have a 92 for home/range.

I would shoot a Glock 17 or 19 and see how you like them specifically, Glock 21 handles very different. Personally, always held off on buying a Glock even though I've shot several models and usually enjoyed them. I am in the minority who really like double-action and/or safety. Feel better with them when tired, drowsy, startled, or frightened (real life reactions) and letting other people use them.

Also a true believer in...double-strike capability :ph34r:

sinlessorrow
02-28-12, 19:55
Has the PX4 been 100% reliable? If it's reliable, accurate, and suits you - maybe use it for carry and have a 92 for home/range.

I would shoot a Glock 17 or 19 and see how you like them specifically, Glock 21 handles very different. Personally, always held off on buying a Glock even though I've shot several models and usually enjoyed them. I am in the minority who really like double-action and/or safety. Feel better with them when tired, drowsy, startled, or frightened (real life reactions) and letting other people use them.

Also a true believer in...double-strike capability :ph34r:

so far the PX4 has been perfect, i even converted my F model to a G(decocker only)

pkowatch
02-28-12, 20:44
I have been in the same position recently, as I moved away from my SIG P226 and was trying to decide between a Glock 17 and Glock 19. I just couldn't get over the reports of issues with the current G3 an G4 models. I ended up buying a Walther PPQ from Grant. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, and I can't wait to start putting it through its paces.

It's hard to go wrong with a Glock, buth with all of the positive feedback so far regarding the PPQ, its at least worth a look for you.

Good luck!

Biggy
02-28-12, 23:06
I have been in the same position recently, as I moved away from my SIG P226 and was trying to decide between a Glock 17 and Glock 19. I just couldn't get over the reports of issues with the current G3 an G4 models. I ended up buying a Walther PPQ from Grant. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow, and I can't wait to start putting it through its paces.

It's hard to go wrong with a Glock, buth with all of the positive feedback so far regarding the PPQ, its at least worth a look for you.

Good luck!

And good luck to you on your PPQ purchase. I just picked up my PPQ #2 yesterday. IMHO it is a very underrated and under marketed pistol.

blackgt85
02-28-12, 23:47
I am definitely a fan of the Beretta 92/96 series. Currently, I carry a 96A1 concealed, but will be using something different for summer. I also have a Beretta 8040 Cougar, which will probably be the summer ccw. If I feel that is too big, I will most likely go for a S&W M&P9C..... Not really a fan of Glock, but the G19 is a nice size.....

Justin

CMW
02-29-12, 00:14
I have an Italian manu'd 92FS, it's beautiful, very accurate, and has functioned perfectly. I love it, but it is BIG. So I picked up a G19 last week...for me, the 19 fits the hand like your favorite pair of gloves.

Anyways, I guess I'm telling you to get both, but carry the 19...

Shark
02-29-12, 01:07
The G19 was my last pistol that I added to the SIG P226 and P220 Combat. The Glock is nice and conceals very well. That being said, my next purchase will be a HK45c.

anthony1
02-29-12, 04:52
What pistol do you have now? Whats wrong with it?

The pistols you're choosing between are so different no one could really give any meaningful insight.

Glock 19 is hard to beat for a CC pistol.

flieger67
02-29-12, 06:13
Another vote for the Glock 19. Easy to carry and conceal with all but the lightest summer clothing. It handles very well and is, to me, an excellent balance between ease of carry and ease of shooting.

Plus there are large amounts of Glock parts, accessories and holsters available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

TysonB209
03-01-12, 01:30
+1 or the glock 19. For me the size is perfect and glock's track record is tough to beat.

Arik
03-01-12, 08:02
Weight, size and comfort are different for everyone. I went with the G19 and found that Im more comfortable wearing iwb all day with the much heavier (almost 40oz unloaded) but thinner all steel S&W 5946 then with the lighter but bulkier G19. I just cant get comfortable carrying the G19. A quality belt and holster go a long way.

If you know anyone who has a Beretta and/or a G19 see if they will let you try it out and carry it around for a bit (around the house maybe if you're over for day) This way you'll get to know if it suits you before you commit money to it.

BOOSTjunkie
03-01-12, 17:13
i have a glock 22 which is dimensionally identical to the 17 and ive carried a m9 as issue... i find the glock 17/22 is more concealable... but i do agree if you want ultimate concealment go with a 19 or 23