PDA

View Full Version : New to the AR Platform

wingspar
02-28-12, 20:56
I’ve been a member here for about a year and a half, and today is the first time I have ever looked at the AR part of this forum. I have never had any interest in the AR platform, but I’m starting to think this would be a worthwhile platform to get into, so I’ve been doing a little research for a few days. Watched some gun review videos, looked at some manufacture web sites just trying to get a feel for what I might want. Money is an issue. I’ve never spent $1k on a gun before. Two guns that stand out to me right now are the Colt 6920 and Rock River Arms, specifically their Elite Operator2 model. BCM and Daniels Defense have bee recommended, but that’s too much money. I’m not looking for anything fancy. Not interested in building, and I don’t think mil-spec is important to me.

My use would be considered light use after reading some threads here. I eventually want to put a scope on it and reach out, but I’d like to also have folding front and rear sights and the ability to remove and replace the scope without having to re-zero if that’s possible.

I’ve only looked around the AR part of this forum a little today only, and I have not seen Rock River Arms mentioned once. I did a search for RRA, but didn’t find much newer than posts from 2008, and they sounded outdated from what I’ve read on the RRA site.

While I can learn a lot just by searching and reading, I’m one of those guys that likes interaction with more experienced users, hence starting my own thread. So, while I’m almost set on a Rock River rig, I’m still open to more learning. Rock River or Colt. I’d like to keep the initial cost below $1,100 OTD.

Todd00000
02-28-12, 21:05
If you want to spend near $1,000 then why not get top quality i.e. milspec. Get the Colt then later on add a rear back up sight, scope and mount.
You may want to read this chart and thread.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

lethal dose
02-28-12, 21:14
Search a little harder, bro. RRA is nowhere near the quality of a colt. Colt is 100% "milspec" and is THE standard by which all other AR type rifles are compared. RRA uses inferior materials. If $1100 is your budget, DD and BCM are 100% still in your budget. But if I had to choose between rra and colt, I would not have to think about it for even a split second.

VIP3R 237
02-28-12, 21:28
Is this a real question? Wow talk about the complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Go Colt and forget about rra. Rock river arms is known to use inferior materials and manufacturing processes. Colt has to adhere to higher tolerances and quality to meet the milspec tdp which in the end means you get a better firearm.

lifebreath
02-28-12, 21:53
No brainier. Colt.

JW1069
02-28-12, 21:58
What is it about the RRA rifle that you favor over the Colt? :confused:

J_Dub_503
02-28-12, 22:02
I find it intriguing that you've been a member for a year and a half (on a forum which is primarily focused on the AR platform) and this is the first time that you've shown interest. May I ask what you've been doing this whole time? I know there's a lot of great content on all the other subjects here but that is insane.

Anyways, read the stickies and do some searching for AT LEAST a week or two before you set your mind up. You'll be surprised on what you could get for that price point. Colt is a great option but its not the only one in your range.

wingspar
02-28-12, 22:21
I find it intriguing that you've been a member for a year and a half (on a forum which is primarily focused on the AR platform) and this is the first time that you've shown interest.

This forum has a lot of good info on the AK-47, which is primarily why I joined this forum. The looks of the AR platform has never appealed to me till recently.

MSteele
02-28-12, 22:34
I can promise you one thing, not a single member here will recommend the RRA over the Colt. Talk to Grant over at G&R tactical and he will get you on your way with a absolutely perfect rifle for plinking or serious work. The Colt is very inexpensive for the quality that you get. As for the AR platform the best way I can describe it is it's like CRACK!!! Once you start you can't stop and you mine as well start of with a rock solid platform that can adapt to it's intended mission. If you had the option of a Pinto or a Mazerati for the same price what would you choose.

Tzook
02-28-12, 22:47
I think a Palmetto State Armory rifle could be a good middle ground for you. Colt makes outstanding ARs, RRA makes absolute shit ARs. If it truly will be a light shooting, nothing fancy rifle, you wouldn't be losing much getting a PSA, and they are far higher quality than RRA or Stag or any other crap like that.

Iraqgunz
02-29-12, 01:09
Since you have been a member for so long why don't you use the search feature and read about RRA?

You should also take the time to re-read the Mission Statement for the site as well.