PDA

View Full Version : NFA Form 1

Funkenstein
02-29-12, 15:21
On the form 1 it asks for the barrel length. What if after sending the form in, I decided I want a shorter or longer barrel than specified on the form?

Also next to that is the overall length. This could change with everything from muzzle device to stock. What if this changes?

Ghost__1
02-29-12, 15:35
On the form 1 it asks for the barrel length. What if after sending the form in, I decided I want a shorter or longer barrel than specified on the form?

Also next to that is the overall length. This could change with everything from muzzle device to stock. What if this changes?

The basic rule is that you put the upper you have in the box. If you decide later its ok if its not permanent. If it is perm you can a either send a letter our just roll with it. If you have the original upper its not necessarily perm. If not don't run around telling people how you got one over on the Atf and you'll be fine.

Funkenstein
02-29-12, 15:44
That's what I figured but I just wanted to make sure so I don't get burned in the future for being off an inch or something.

Thanks.

Hmac
02-29-12, 15:47
You can use whatever barrel and/or caliber on your NFA registered lower and don't have to do anything as long as you are able to return it to its registered configuration. IOW, keep the barrel length and caliber you put on the Form 1. If you decide to change the length or caliber permanently, you theoretically are supposed to notify BATFE. They may or may not send you an acknowledgement, and if they do it could take up to a year, maybe even longer.

capbyrd
03-01-12, 09:30

The muzzle device doesn't change barrel length unless its pinned and welded.

Funkenstein
03-01-12, 09:51
Right but it changes the overall length. If I go from a KX3 to an A2, just as an example, it will get shorter.

capbyrd
03-01-12, 10:38
Oh yeah. but I was just talking about barrel length. But I wouldn't worry about it too much. Get close. A half an inch is going to get you rejected.

Iraqgunz
03-01-12, 10:40
Burned by whom, for what? After you have your approved forms no one really cares about your shit aside from internet nutballs that want to scare people.

That's what I figured but I just wanted to make sure so I don't get burned in the future for being off an inch or something.

Thanks.

damagedworld
03-04-12, 00:35
if you have a registered "SBR" could you have more than 1 sub 16in uppers in your possession? or just one and as many 16+ uppers as you want?

oef24
03-04-12, 00:52
if you have a registered "SBR" could you have more than 1 sub 16in uppers in your possession? or just one and as many 16+ uppers as you want?

From what I have been told, you can have as many uppers in as many calibers as you can afford in any length. Always keep your original length/caliber upper and/or notify ATF in writing of any permanent change.
I would also make sure that any non-NFA M4 rifles are completely assembled with their respective 16+" uppers. It is not recommended to have lower receivers with no uppers attached at home with SBR uppers. Just keep it clean and organized.

O

Jmacken37
03-04-12, 03:48
You can have all the uppers you want with your FA/SBR/Pistol lower. Just be careful having a bunch of short uppers and rifle lowers without having a legit lower that can be mated to the short uppers.

Jake

damagedworld
03-04-12, 10:26
sounds simple enough.. I was thinking of just turning my existing AR to sbr and getting a short (pistol) upper off of gunbroker.. just not sure if the buffer tube and all that is right for it..

Funkenstein
03-04-12, 16:39
In the extremely rare case that I would have to use on in self defense or any reason to have the NFA look at them closely.

I wasn't sure if, for instance, I registered the overall length as 28" with say a KX3, then decided I wanted to mount a suppressor so changing the brake would alter the overall registered length.

I know, it's extremely picky but I wasn't sure if you could potentially get burned for that.

Burned by whom, for what? After you have your approved forms no one really cares about your shit aside from internet nutballs that want to scare people.

texshooter
03-06-12, 15:49
I was told that the ATF reviewer for my area (TX) will approve it if you include in part h the other upper lengths and calibers you plan to use with the lower.

He said he has had multiple people include 3,4, or 5 lengths of barrel and 2 or 3 calibers and havent had any problems. Of course it will depend on your reviewer.

damagedworld
03-06-12, 19:41
the only sub 16in upper I think I will own will be one in 556.. so i guess I will just register the gun in that configuration.. if I want to "change it up" it will just be on occasion at the range..

thanks for the info

tfltackdriver
03-09-12, 13:53

Possibly the most-true statement on the entire internet.