PDA

View Full Version : What is the 'most wanted' 10.5 upper?

bugeyes
02-29-12, 15:55
I like to get one but didn't know what to pick, Noveske switchblock, PWS MK110, Adam Arms 10.5, LMT 10.5", etc., I want to use it with suppressed and unsuppressed, and want to do it right on the first time, any suggestions will be appreciated....

Ghost__1
02-29-12, 16:23
Speculation here but id say its a split between dd mk18 noveske mk18 and lmt.Take it for what its worth but all great companies and well liked from what I've read about them here. Someone more knowledgeable will come in tho but I Gabe ya a bump anyway.

rundm
02-29-12, 19:59
I would do the LMT 10.5. You can change out to whatever you want after that with a barrel swap.

E-man930
02-29-12, 20:45
I'm parting out my 10.5" Noveske N4 because the KAC sickness has set in... I'm now going to build up a 11.25" KAC barreled upper that utilizes their complete BCG.

Tzook
02-29-12, 21:02
There are certainly higher quality systems, but I use the Adams Arms kit and it's really handy for switching back and forth between gas settings for shooting suppressed, if that's something that you're into.

J_Dub_503
03-01-12, 01:01
I personally find Noveske the most desirable out of the bunch. I happen to love all their products and I'd feel 100% confident with anything they make...plus they're local. :happy:

Magic_Salad0892
03-01-12, 01:10
One that works.

Colt, Noveske, KAC, LMT, BCM, DD.

Watrdawg
03-01-12, 14:14
I took the easy way out. I bought the Noveske 10.5" with Switch Block. This way I don't have to worry about gas port size, which buffer and spring to run or possibly which stock to run also. My weapon is at my LGS just waiting for me to get my stamp and take it home.

rob_s
03-01-12, 14:26
This upper (http://centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=upperassy10.tpl&product_id=73)

This handguard (http://centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=177)

If suppressed use is more than 25% of your intended and less than 75%, then this (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lslp-556-sb&cat=136&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=).

Javelin
03-01-12, 14:41
If you want a dead nuts reliable SBR right out of the box with superior accuracy the Noveske CQB is a pretty tough option to beat.

:D

Watrdawg
03-01-12, 15:09
This upper (http://centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=upperassy10.tpl&product_id=73)

This handguard (http://centurionarms.net/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=177)

If suppressed use is more than 25% of your intended and less than 75%, then this (http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lslp-556-sb&cat=136&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=).

That is exactly what I went with Rob.

bugeyes
03-01-12, 17:35
thanks guys for all your comment, time to order, is it better to order directly with Noveske or to one of their distributor like Rainier Arms, etc..

Javelin
03-01-12, 17:44
thanks guys for all your comment, time to order, is it better to order directly with Noveske or to one of their distributor like Rainier Arms, etc..

My vote?

Directly. :D

Javelin
03-01-12, 17:46
I will elaborate...

There are too many booger finger AR weaponsmiths out there gumming up ARs as factory items at the moment and I have very little trust these days.

Watrdawg
03-01-12, 18:26
If you have a Noveske Dealer in your area and trust them order through your dealer. You will save some money tha way. When I did mine that way I didn't pay anywhere near retail for it.

ccrn_csc
03-01-12, 18:37
If you have a Noveske Dealer in your area and trust them order through your dealer. You will save some money tha way. When I did mine that way I didn't pay anywhere near retail for it.

This is the way to go if possible!! I ordered my MK18 thru their website because I couldnt find a good deal around here. I thought their price was fair and was able to change the from the A2 to the 51T Breakout FH to mount the can. I did not go for the SB because I plan on running this rifle suppressed 99% of the time. Good luck. They did tell me plan on 6-8 week ship time for Form 3 - if you can find one local you may be able to shave a couple months off the total wait time - which may be close to 7-8 months by the time it rolls around.

eternal24k
03-01-12, 18:42
One that works.

Colt, Noveske, KAC, LMT, BCM, DD.

Throw Centurion in the list and I would close the case

TehLlama
03-01-12, 21:09
Barreled Upper:
Colt, LMT, Noveske, Centurion, BCM, DD

Handguard:
DD Mk18 RIS2, Centurion C4 9", or Noveske/SWS for Switchblock

Of those, the LMT 10.5" would be the pick, with one of the two above handguards, unless you meet the requirement of roughly half suppressed, then go switchblock and Noveske. The KAC 11.5"/URX combo is amazing, but hard to find.

M4Fundi
03-05-12, 03:40
10.5" Light Shorty, SWITCHBLOCK

Waterdawg and Rob do you know if you can run an x300 (or any light) on the rail in front of the SB on that rifle?

Watrdawg
03-05-12, 03:59
I mounted mine on a Gear Sector angled mount in the 10/11 o'clock position and found out right away that I cannot get to the switch on the SB. I have not tried mounting it another way yet.

M4Fundi
03-05-12, 05:32
Have you tried to move the sight behind the SB and put a light at 12 on the rail in front of the SB? This is the upper I am planning on getting and hoping to set it up this way.

rob_s
03-05-12, 06:06
I don't think it works that way, the rail portion forward of the SB is very short at only two slots and three bumps.

You can evidently mount it, but I don't know that you'll be able to adjust it with the X300 in place.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=724887&postcount=228

M4Fundi
03-05-12, 06:26
Just curious why you would need to adjust it with the X300 in place?

Seems to me that it (switchblock) isn't necessary to or even designed to adjust on the fly, and that taking the X300 off to adjust would not be an unreasonable or impractical thing to do.......or am I missing something?

The photo you linked is exactly what I had planned.

Dmaynor
03-05-12, 06:43
Noveske all the way with the 51t Blackout Flash Hider from AAC. If I had to choose a backup it would be the Daniel Defense with the same blackout flash hider.

There is just something about the way the Noveske feels that makes me think it's gtg. Very tight, no rattle anywhere, and it shoots like a dream. I can't see how anybody who owns a suppressor could buy anything but a upper with a switch block on it.

rob_s
03-05-12, 07:34
Just curious why you would need to adjust it with the X300 in place?

Couldn't tell you. Cans aren't my thing. I only linked to the Noveske SB because the OP was interested in them. But it may be a concern. If you can't adjust it you'd need to remove the light, install the can, make the switch, install the light, or some variation thereof.

Watrdawg
03-05-12, 09:12
You may need to adjust from suppressed to non-suppressed and vice versa if you are adding or taking off a suppressor. One thing I worry about also, especially after looking at the picture Rob supplied is the concussion the X300 will be going through when using that Blackout flash Suppressor that is normally supplied with the weapon. The light would be sitting almost over the top of the flash suppressor. Unfortunately I do not have my weapon. It is still at my gunshop waiting on my stamp to arrive. So far I think I'm going to have to mount my X300 directly to either of the side rails. More than likely the left side rail for me.

rob_s
03-05-12, 09:59
You may need to adjust from suppressed to non-suppressed and vice versa if you are adding or taking off a suppressor. One thing I worry about also, especially after looking at the picture Rob supplied is the concussion the X300 will be going through when using that Blackout flash Suppressor that is normally supplied with the weapon. The light would be sitting almost over the top of the flash suppressor. Unfortunately I do not have my weapon. It is still at my gunshop waiting on my stamp to arrive. So far I think I'm going to have to mount my X300 directly to either of the side rails. More than likely the left side rail for me.

I would be inclined to mount it to the 9 or 3 o'clock position on the Noveske as well. As a right-hander I prefer the 3 (looking from the stock towards the muzzle) but have also used the 9, you just need to be more mindful of using concealment and not getting back-splash from the light. One reason I've used the 9 in the past, however, is that I'm more proficient with my strong side and therefore more likely to take the light into account vs. having even more stuff to think about shooting from my weak side in the dark around a barricade.

Watrdawg
03-05-12, 10:05
9 o clock is proabably where I'm going to mount it. That way I can activate the light with my left hand if need be. I'm going to play with it to make sure that is best for me. I have A LOT of time to think about it though. I just sent my paperwork off 2 weeks ago:rolleyes:.

Turnkey11
03-05-12, 21:14
I have a LMT 10.5 and a DD MK18 upper; LMT ran right out of the box, DD needed a extractor spring upgrade right out of the box. I run a KAC NT4 on both.

usmcvet
03-05-12, 22:49
Throw Centurion in the list and I would close the case

If he truly wants a 10.5" upper Colt, DD and BCM are out. I have ad great experience with three 10.5" LMT uppers to with a fair ammount of FA time, but no can experience.

M4Fundi
03-06-12, 00:07

I gathered that. To me if I'm taking off/on a suppressor then popping on and off the X300 to adjust is no big deal. I was told by someone running this rig you can adjust the SB with X300 in place if you have to. I think this is the way I am headed.