PDA

View Full Version : How's this setup, and which Trijicon?`

ASH556
02-29-12, 19:18
As you may have read in my other thread, I'm struggling a bit with optics choices for my 16" DD as I'm transitioning to a MK18 with my T1 for primary HD/etc.

After reading and thinking and reading some more, I think I'd like to give something like the setup below a try. The primary scope will be a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 with the TMR reticle and Firedot. I'll have a Trijicon RMR LED 3.2MOA mounted in the offset position as shown below.

http://www.laruetactical.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_detail/img_2905.jpg

At the same time, I still wonder about the ACOG and how it would work for me. I'd like to try it at longer ranges.

I can get a special, one-time price deal on Trijicon through work, so the RMR combo option is more cost effective than it would be otherwise.

Likewise, my pricing on ACOGs is quite favorable. I'm only allowed one magnified and one non-magnified, so its the RMR and __________.

In case my preference is for the Leupold/RMR combo, I'd like to make sure that whatever magnified Trijicon product I buy will have good re-sale properties should I decide it's not what I'm looking for. To give a rough estimate, I can buy an ACOG (TA33, TA11 are top of my list) in the $650-$750 range. Or, I can get an Accupoint (TR24) for $550-$600.

Two questions:
1. What do you think of the Leupold/RMR setup?

2. Which magnified Trijicon would be the best option?

Goal is to have general purpose outside rifle good for hits to 600, but not wholly un-usable indoors if necessary.

Thanks!

Failure2Stop
02-29-12, 19:30
The advantage of an offset RMR is best seen when the low end of the primary optic is above that than can be effectively used at close range, otherwise might as well just stick with the primary.

ASH556
02-29-12, 19:48
The advantage of an offset RMR is best seen when the low end of the primary optic is above that than can be effectively used at close range, otherwise might as well just stick with the primary.

Sorry, should've clarified that I'm talking about the 3-9 Leupold VX-R, not the 1.25-4. I edited the OP to reflect.

I may yet reach the conclusion that the DFP USO 1-4 or 1.25-6 is the way to go, but I figured I'd explore the Trijicon options while I had the deal available.

cop1211
02-29-12, 20:21
How far do you regularly shoot at? If its a majority at 300-500 max I'd say go for the USOptics 1-4dfp, NF, or the new SWFA 1-6,Meopta ZD.

kenndapp
02-29-12, 23:17
This might be slightly off topic but, what rmr variants are you guys using? I really wanted to go with a non-battery daul illuminated rmr but they are only avalible with very large moa dots and in amber.......

rob_s
03-01-12, 06:30
re: ACOGs, the TA33 series is the only one I'd bother with. Lighter weight, longer eye relief, best all-around.

I have the red chevron model and have been wanting to try the green horseshoe, but have some reservations about the loss of precision in a dot vs. the tip of the chevron. Enough reservations that I stick with the devil I know.

re: offset dot& 3x-Y vs. 1.x-Y optic, I would be inclined to err on the side of the 1.x-Y for the same overall cost. I'm not sure if there's a $900-1k 1.x-Y that meets the specs of those that use them. I've been told that the 1.25-4x VX-R I have is not up to par and therefore non-indicative of the concept but have been unwilling to spend the $1500+ that it appears is necessary to fully appreciate the ability of the 1.x-Y. Not sure if there's a $1k solution that would pass muster.

ASH556
03-01-12, 12:18
Well, I guess this is all a moot point now. Just bought this off Snipershide (NF2.5-10x24 priced too good to pass up):

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/25-10NF.jpg