PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the J-lock safety on Remington 870 Express shotguns?

sonrider657
12-26-07, 13:47
I have noticed that many on this Board do not like the J-lock safety that comes on some 870's.

What is the issue with them? As long as they are unlocked, don't they work the same way as the standard safeties? What am I missing?

Buck
12-26-07, 14:15
I have noticed that many on this Board do not like the J-lock safety that comes on some 870's.

What is the issue with them? As long as they are unlocked, don't they work the same way as the standard safeties? What am I missing?

They only came on the civilian 870 any were discontinued in 2005 or so because everyone seemed to hate them... Realistically they were a solution looking for a problem, but they did seem satisfy the need in some states to ship all firearms with a keyed manual trigger lock...

The concern was that once upon a time, someone heard on the internet about some guys shooting buddy, that was being charged by a 3000 pound Kodiak, and the J-lock had vibrated into the locked position, and his shotgun would not fire, and he only escaped because he was able to climb a tree and wait out the bear...

Or more likely, he left home at 0400 and drove 200 miles to go bird hunting, but forgot the $^%# key to the j-lock had to sit in the car and curse the gods...

If it really bothers you, it is a $10 part to swap it out for a regular safety, or you can buy the scattergun jumbo safety for $16...

Buck

sonrider657
12-26-07, 14:34
Thanks Buck

The 870 that my wife bought me for Christmas has the J-lock safety and she just bought a couple of weeks ago. I can check the manufacture date but I'm pretty sure that it was made after 2005. It has the Butler Creek side-folding stock - isn't that a fairly recent addition to Remington's line up.

The safety does not bother me as long as there are no real issues with it.

em2b96p
03-23-08, 00:51
an easy solution to this dilema would be to.....

1) remove rubber recoil butt pad
2) wrap the J key in a piece of cloth
3) stick that mofo in the buttstock.
4) replace rubber recoil butt pad
5) replace screws.

TA DA no more cursing the gods....

austinN4
03-23-08, 05:56
I believe the the J-lock was eleminated from the Express line of 870s sometime in 2007. My solution was to replace it with a Vang Comp VCSA Large Head Safety. After using it for a while, I would replace even a non J-lock safety with it. Some people like the Wilson better, but the Vang works best for me.