PDA

View Full Version : I need a good flashlight

Javelin
03-01-12, 02:36
I was looking at all the new offerings from Surefire. I want to mount it on my weapon and use a Vltor QD mount to take on and off at my discretion. I have an older Surefire (non-LED) and really like it but it's time to upgrade.

Have a couple in mind. The Surefire Fury (15/500 lumen). Also looking at a simple Surefire G2X Tactical (200 lumen). The Scout lights are cool too but I don't know what I am looking at.

Suggestions from any tactical flashlight guru's would be appreciated.

:D

CoryCop25
03-01-12, 03:01
From a sample of one, I have had issues with the G2x tail switch. It is quite bright though. I am a big fan of the Scout lights. I have 2 600s and I am looking to buy a 300 in the near future. There are several mounts for the scout but not many that QD like you stated that you would like to do. I think a light with the weight and performance of a scout light and the QD capability that you want, I would suggest an E series light and your mount.

SteveL
03-01-12, 07:29
You could consider putting a Scout light on a LaRue QD mount (http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-surefire-scout-light). It would be a pricey setup though....

TeamGrazzi
03-01-12, 08:03
I am not a huge fan of the dual output lights. I bought the SureFire G2X Pro thinking that I would just use the 15 lumen setting for counting inmates. Didn't really work as intended, unless you leave it on you have to click through to get the high output. If you are just holding the switch to get a quick light if you don't hold it in the right way it will switch to the other setting. Just got a little annoying and I wish that I would have just gotten the single output instead. Damn my LGS for having it for 50% off. As for a quick detach light for your rail.... I use an X300 on and off really easy YMMV though :big_boss:

lethal dose
03-01-12, 08:45
The g2 is a nice light... I really like mine. My edc is an e1b... again, another great light. With that said, don't rule out elzetta. Get on YouTube and check out their torture tests.

Javelin
03-01-12, 11:27
Ok I have sourced a G2X Tactical 200 lumen single output for 33% off so I think I might go with it. Light costs less than the Vltor mount so I can't really complain.

:lol:

BCmJUnKie
03-01-12, 11:44
Mini Scout with a Gear Sector mount.

My personal favorite setup.

The mount puts the light at the 2 o'clock position and its super
low-profile not to mention VERY strong.

Edit: forgot it was to be removed at discretion.

Jaysop
03-01-12, 11:54
Are you looking to be able to QD and use as a handled? Because I don't think that's to simple with a scout type.
I think im going to convert back to that type as well.

loganp0916
03-01-12, 11:57
Ok I have sourced a G2X Tactical 200 lumen single output for 33% off so I think I might go with it. Light costs less than the Vltor mount so I can't really complain.

:lol:

Would you mind sharing where you found this deal?

BCmJUnKie
03-01-12, 12:02
Why the Vltor mount if you dont mind me asking?

I found that to be a PITA to get the light in and out of. Im not a fan of the "Clamp".

I bought a surefire Z2S 2 years ago to be a weapon mounted/handheld....it lasted for about a week and I got another light.

If its a weapon light it should stay ON the weapon, IMHO

snackgunner
03-01-12, 12:30
I also dont really have a clue on what light I should get. Im not sure if its worth it to hold out until the new surefire 500 lumen lights are released and hit the market.

And with all the different mounts for the flashlights makes it even more confusing. For example Im not sure why the heck the new flashlight mount, sawfly I think its called, wont mount on a DD lite rail. And then theres the threads on the LED upgrades with different bulbs, flashlight bodys, and flashlight heads that Im like 'wtf?'.

Sometimes it seems like figuring out a setup for an AR15 and its parts is easier than figuring out a light and mount setup. Im thinking of going with surefire x300 ultras on all my rifles just for the simplicity of it.

Javelin
03-01-12, 13:05
Would you mind sharing where you found this deal?

http://www.lapolicegear.com/

use coupon code LAPG for 5% off... comes to like $73 after shipping.

:D

Javelin
03-01-12, 13:06
I also dont really have a clue on what light I should get. Im not sure if its worth it to hold out until the new surefire 500 lumen lights are released and hit the market.

And with all the different mounts for the flashlights makes it even more confusing. For example Im not sure why the heck the new flashlight mount, sawfly I think its called, wont mount on a DD lite rail. And then theres the threads on the LED upgrades with different bulbs, flashlight bodys, and flashlight heads that Im like 'wtf?'.

Sometimes it seems like figuring out a setup for an AR15 and its parts is easier than figuring out a light and mount setup. Im thinking of going with surefire x300 ultras on all my rifles just for the simplicity of it.

Exactly. It is confusing. And whenever I try and save a buck it always bites me in the ass and I end up buying the thing I should have to begin with.

Maybe I will just look at getting a Surefire 300 ultra and call it a day. I am just tired of buying over and over... a Mini Scout would be cool too I guess. Just confusing with all these options and all the new stuff vs. old stuff that is on the market right now.

SteveL
03-01-12, 13:20
I'm not super experienced, but to me it makes more sense to have a weapon mounted light that stays on the weapon and a separate handheld light.

Javelin
03-01-12, 13:23
I'm not super experienced, but to me it makes more sense to have a weapon mounted light that stays on the weapon and a separate handheld light.

Good point. I have been doing some reading this morning and really again... tired of reading about stupid flashlights.

I guess for the money I can just get the Surefire G2X Tactical single 200 lumen light and mount it to my gun permanently using a standard Vltor light mount (non-QD). I have one laying around my gun room so for $73 shipped for a weapon Surefire tac light it wouldn't be that bad of an investment.

ucrt
03-01-12, 13:27

IMO - The best deal going right now for a weapon light is SureFire 6P flashlight from G&R Tactical.
G&R Tactical Link (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6P).
G&R's price includes 10 batteries ($20), so the light would actually be priced around $42. The light's MSRP is $88.
Heck, you are going to need batteries anyway and as long as they are quality batteries (SureFire?? which I imagine is what Grant includes) this is a good deal. BTW, the CR123 batteries have an 8-10 shelf life, so they won't spoil on you.
I think everyone should have a 6P (or four), great light.

For a weapon quality LED Module, Malkoff Devices has a good sale going on right now:
Malkoff M61 Link (http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-and-malkoff-p-7.html?zenid=e39d52fb8d592cf0ac1e4aa3cf4addbb)
I've got 3000+ plus rounds on one of these setups and it has worked perfect. They are American made, put out 250 lumens, and use a solid brass "frame" for the LED to get a better heat sink for the electronics, which works best with an aluminum light. The cooler you keep electronics, the longer they last.
If you call Malkoff, you're likely to get "the man", Gene Malkoff, the designer/owner, on the phone and so you can ask him your specific questions. Very nice man.

So, for right at $120, you can get a proven SureFire aluminum light with a weapon mounted quality LED lamp with 10 batteries. You can use 1" Weaver Low Rings to hold the 6P on the gun. A couple of makers resell the Weavers for this purpose.

But maybe it's just me...

Javelin
03-01-12, 13:47

IMO - The best deal going right now for a weapon light is SureFire 6P flashlight from G&R Tactical.
G&R Tactical Link (http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6P).
G&R's price includes 10 batteries ($20), so the light would actually be priced around $42. The light's MSRP is $88.
Heck, you are going to need batteries anyway and as long as they are quality batteries (SureFire?? which I imagine is what Grant includes) this is a good deal. BTW, the CR123 batteries have an 8-10 shelf life, so they won't spoil on you.
I think everyone should have a 6P (or four), great light.

For a weapon quality LED Module, Malkoff Devices has a good sale going on right now:
Malkoff M61 Link (http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/m61-mod-to-fit-surefire-and-malkoff-p-7.html?zenid=e39d52fb8d592cf0ac1e4aa3cf4addbb)
I've got 3000+ plus rounds on one of these setups and it has worked perfect. They are American made, put out 250 lumens, and use a solid brass "frame" for the LED to get a better heat sink for the electronics, which works best with an aluminum light. The cooler you keep electronics, the longer they last.
If you call Malkoff, you're likely to get "the man", Gene Malkoff, the designer/owner, on the phone and so you can ask him your specific questions. Very nice man.

So, for right at $120, you can get a proven SureFire aluminum light with a weapon mounted quality LED lamp with 10 batteries. You can use 1" Weaver Low Rings to hold the 6P on the gun. A couple of makers resell the Weavers for this purpose.

But maybe it's just me...

I have a 6P like this one from Midway...
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/519092/surefire-g3-flashlight-xenon-bulb-with-batteries-3-cr123a-lithium-nitrolon-black

And I bought a CREE drop in and it didn't last long (overheats and turns off). The G3 is back to the same old set up original light it had before. I think I am going to just go with a factory Surefire setup. I'm sure that this one you posted is good though. It is expensive for sure and not 440 lum but I am just apprehensive of trying to frankenstein another flashlight.

J_Dub_503
03-01-12, 15:34
I'm tagging this for more info. I've been debating on what light to get and I was split between the 6PX Pro and the G2X Pro. I'd like the option of dual output so at dusk/night I can run on low to save my night visibility (and battery life). ALL of my shooting is done in forested areas that turn pitch black at night. I like the mini-scout but I just can't justify that kind of money for a weapon light right now. I'm trying to stay below $120 for a light. :/

EzGoingKev
03-01-12, 19:20
The Surefire Fury (15/500 lumen).

IMO this would not be a good choice as 500 lumens is way to bright for indoor work where you would encounter white painted walls and 15 is not enough.

The Fury would be great if it had at least one more setting around 65-85 lumens.

ucrt
03-02-12, 08:37
I have a 6P like this one from Midway...
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/519092/surefire-g3-flashlight-xenon-bulb-with-batteries-3-cr123a-lithium-nitrolon-black

And I bought a CREE drop in and it didn't last long (overheats and turns off). The G3 is back to the same old set up original light it had before. I think I am going to just go with a factory Surefire setup. I'm sure that this one you posted is good though. It is expensive for sure and not 440 lum but I am just apprehensive of trying to frankenstein another flashlight.
=======================================

Javelin,
The light you listed is a plastic version of the all-aluminum SureFires. Plastic doesn't conduct heat well and that is a concern when putting a LED in a G-series lights. I can see how you had a problem, all of the quality LED drop-in makers recommend extended cooling periods when using LED's in plastic lights. The G-series are not bad lights, just limited ones.

I think the SureFire "X" series (P2, P2X,...) of lights is SureFire's "consumer line" of lights. Heck, a clicky for a 6P is $40+ but the "X" series come with a clicky and an LED and the whole light is $100??

The 6P's are machined, (or at least they used to be). If I had to guess, I'd bet the P2's are cast aluminum or of som eother cost saving construction, but I don't know for sure. I've never noticed a mass produced "machined" part with contouring like the X's. I gave my neighbor a P2X for Christmas last year, I'm going to take a look at it this weekend to see if I can see mold lines, etc.

FWIW and maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't consider the Malkoff's (or the TNVC's) a "frankenstein" part. I know the Malkoff's were endorsed by MagPul Dynamics and from what I remember, EAG Tactical endorses the TNVC's. Both have been proven with hundreds of thousands of rounds being used, but I just like the Malkoff's better being US-made, having a fitted heatsink, plus having had conversations with the owner.

Lastly, for a weapon mounted light, I really like the 6P and it has held up well but I don't really consider it a "true" weapon light. It is more of a quality light that "should" serve the non-pro person well as a weapon light. Eventually, I will get a true weapon light but until then, a 6P with a quality LED is an adequate inexpensive quality fill-in for that purpose.

But like I said...maybe it's just me...

Winston Wolf
03-02-12, 09:03
About two years ago a buddy in the service introduced me to Fenix lights after having issues with my Surefires. At the time, Fenix was having some QC issues and I wasn't all that impressed.

I saw him again a year later and he was singing their praises. Because of his background and the fact that his word is as good as gold to me, I grabbed a Fenix TK12 and was glad I did. Not only have they ironed out the QC issues but they are making some damn good lights at a much better price point than SF.
Currently I run a TK15 for EDC which has a ton of features that I've come to appreciate. The TK15 has multiple output ranging from 60 to 337 lumens, is completely waterproof, has intermittent strobe and takes rechargeable batteries.
I got a Kabota stuck in a small creek a few months back and by the time we were able to get it out it was pitch black outside. The TK15 sat under water in the creek for about an hour and a half while we dug and set footings to free up the Kabota. To this day it runs like the day I bought it.
I just bought a SF X300 and straight out of the box it has issues; bad toggle switch, loose battery clamp and low output. Needless to say its going back to SF. Don't get me wrong, SF makes great lights but I've never really thought that they are worth the price. I've had 8-10 of them over the years and can honestly say that more than a few of them had to go back to SF to be replaced.
Fenix is making some very reliable gear now and I'd recommend them to anyone asking for a good, solid, reliable light. Plus if budget is a concern, the TK15 with two rechargeable 3.7v Li-ion batteries and a charger for them costs about $125 dollars.
Just offering my experience for your consideration. Hope it helps.

Best,
WW

Dennis
03-02-12, 19:23
Javelin,

The 6P's are machined, (or at least they used to be). If I had to guess, I'd bet the P2's are cast aluminum or of som eother cost saving construction, but I don't know for sure. I've never noticed a mass produced "machined" part with contouring like the X's. I gave my neighbor a P2X for Christmas last year, I'm going to take a look at it this weekend to see if I can see mold lines, etc.

FWIW and maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't consider the Malkoff's (or the TNVC's) a "frankenstein" part. I know the Malkoff's were endorsed by MagPul Dynamics and from what I remember, EAG Tactical endorses the TNVC's. Both have been proven with hundreds of thousands of rounds being used, but I just like the Malkoff's better being US-made, having a fitted heatsink, plus having had conversations with the owner.

Lastly, for a weapon mounted light, I really like the 6P and it has held up well but I don't really consider it a "true" weapon light. It is more of a quality light that "should" serve the non-pro person well as a weapon light. Eventually, I will get a true weapon light but until then, a 6P with a quality LED is an adequate inexpensive quality fill-in for that purpose.

A stock SF 6P with a Malkoff LED drop-in is arguably the MOST reliable LED light you can have, period. Quality machined aluminum tube, ultra reliable twisty tailcap, quality bezel, and fully potted solid brass LED drop in.

I have almost every tactical-ish light made, and while many have additional features I like, none can be considered "more reliable" than a 6P/Malkoff combo.

If you want to spend more money for a super hardcore light, see http://www.oveready.com/ for bored out 6P/6Z's that you can use rechargeable li-ion batteries for more power and runtime.

I use 6P/Malkoffs and Malkoff MD2 as carbine lights currently, but I see a big change coming with much better integrated weapon lights. With so many carbines out there now there is no reason to keep strapping a round light to a flat surface anymore...

Dennis.

Javelin
03-02-12, 21:24
=======================================

Javelin,
The light you listed is a plastic version of the all-aluminum SureFires. Plastic doesn't conduct heat well and that is a concern when putting a LED in a G-series lights. I can see how you had a problem, all of the quality LED drop-in makers recommend extended cooling periods when using LED's in plastic lights. The G-series are not bad lights, just limited ones.

I think the SureFire "X" series (P2, P2X,...) of lights is SureFire's "consumer line" of lights. Heck, a clicky for a 6P is $40+ but the "X" series come with a clicky and an LED and the whole light is $100??

Really good points. And yeah that all polymer case does not help with the heat issues.

bsmith_shoot
03-02-12, 21:51
You know man, if you can find just the basic G2L, they are hard to beat. Ive run the crap out of 2, and never had a single problem. Just my experience and opinion though.
Brandon

Canonshooter
04-29-12, 06:45
If its a weapon light it should stay ON the weapon, IMHO

I agree that trying to get one light to work well both as both a weapon and hand held is an exercise in futility. However, the ability to quick mount/dismount a weapon-dedicated light is an idea that IMO has merit.