PDA

View Full Version : RDS vs Iron sight at 50 yard +

globeguy
03-01-12, 09:04
I am a new RDS user (probably shot around 400 rounds using Aimpoint T1), and I find that I am more accurate past 50 yards using iron sights. Is this the norm?

I haven't wrote off the possiblity that it could be my experience with iron sights that's causing this deviation.

Failure2Stop
03-01-12, 09:22
I certainly isn't impossible, however, if you are getting differing levels of precision between sighting systems, you really need to ask yourself what you are doing differently.

How to achieve the highest levels of precision with an RDS:
-Ensure that the dot is centered in the tube/window. All optics have some degree of parallax, centering the dot is important for precision.
-Lower the dot intensity. The brighter the dot the more likely that it will appear distorted. A distorted dot is hard to center consistently. The dot should be bright enough to be discernable on the target and no brighter.
-Use a consistent point in the dot. Most dots appear a little blobby to most users. Pick a part of the dot that you consider to be the center and always use that point as your point of aim. Some people like to use the top or bottom of the dot, which I recommend against since the dot will change size (to the user's perception) when the intensity is cranked up, thereby blowing your zero.
-Use an appropriate target. For 2 MOA dots a B8 works pretty well at 100 meters, as there is enough target overhang to consistently center the dot. Very thick crosshairs also work well.
Here's what I use:
http://www.gamecalls.net/free_stuff/targets/Huge%20Circle%20on%20Grid.pdf
The 1" grid is nice for zeroing.
-Make sure the dot is crisp. If you try to focus on the dot, it will bloom and be nasty. Maintain a good target focus and then focus on making the dot as sharp and crisp as possible.

globeguy
03-01-12, 09:28
Thanks for the tips F2S. They all make perfect sense.

Todd00000
03-01-12, 09:30
In addition to what Failure2Stop said, are you using both eyes and focusing on the target?

globeguy
03-01-12, 09:58
In addition to what Failure2Stop said, are you using both eyes and focusing on the target?

Past 35 yards or so I close my left eye for both RDS and iron sight shooting. I do struggle to focus on the target when using RDS, old habbits die hard. I have to remind myself to focus on the target, so if I tire I fall back to focusing on the dot. :nono:

shua713
03-01-12, 10:57
I will be subscribing to this thread, as I have just purchases my first red dot sight. An aimpoint compm4. I will be reverting back to this to try and learn the most effective way to use it. thanks, and if anyone else has tips for using a RDS please chime in.

Todd00000
03-01-12, 11:10
Past 35 yards or so I close my left eye for both RDS and iron sight shooting. I do struggle to focus on the target when using RDS, old habbits die hard. I have to remind myself to focus on the target, so if I tire I fall back to focusing on the dot. :nono:

You need to practice when you are not at the range. What's your vision like? In my early 30s I got astigmatism in my right, dominant, eye. I trained myself to be left eye dominant for pistol shooting; and now I’m left eye dominant when I use ACOG/RDS. You have to train your brain that this is the new normal.

Barvan40
03-01-12, 14:38
Keep both eyes open when using the RDS and simply focus on the target. By doing that you will not see the scope body or your sights, those will be out of focus blurs. When you get the concept you will see your target and the red dot, but because you have both eyes open you will have a much larger field of vision. This gives you greater situational awareness and better target tracking.

An RDS is not a peep sight and you will severely limit its effectiveness if you try to use it that way. It is designed for both eyes open shooting. With a little practice you will get the hang of it.

Here is one way you can practice using an RDS that forces you to keep both eyes open:

If your RDS has end caps, just close the front one. If it does not, use some tape and a piece of cardboard to cover the front lens. Now look through the scope using your normal cheek weld. You can still see the red dot but it is on a black background because the front element is blocked. Maintain your cheek weld and open your non-dominant eye (left eye in your case) and focus on the target. Your brain will merge both views and you will see the target and the red dot. Even with the front cap on, the red dot remains completely usable and you can accurately place the dot (and your shot) on the target. Once you get it, take the cap or cover off and you will enjoy the full benefit of your RDS.

Normally you only need to use your irons if the RDS fails or if you want to maintain your skills with irons.

J_Dub_503
03-01-12, 15:03
Also, make sure you are using the same cheek weld when zeroing and when shooting. This is very important.

Todd00000
03-02-12, 19:32
Keep both eyes open when using the RDS and simply focus on the target. By doing that you will not see the scope body or your sights, those will be out of focus blurs. When you get the concept you will see your target and the red dot, but because you have both eyes open you will have a much larger field of vision. This gives you greater situational awareness and better target tracking.

An RDS is not a peep sight and you will severely limit its effectiveness if you try to use it that way. It is designed for both eyes open shooting. With a little practice you will get the hang of it.

Here is one way you can practice using an RDS that forces you to keep both eyes open:

If your RDS has end caps, just close the front one. If it does not, use some tape and a piece of cardboard to cover the front lens. Now look through the scope using your normal cheek weld. You can still see the red dot but it is on a black background because the front element is blocked. Maintain your cheek weld and open your non-dominant eye (left eye in your case) and focus on the target. Your brain will merge both views and you will see the target and the red dot. Even with the front cap on, the red dot remains completely usable and you can accurately place the dot (and your shot) on the target. Once you get it, take the cap or cover off and you will enjoy the full benefit of your RDS.

Normally you only need to use your irons if the RDS fails or if you want to maintain your skills with irons.
This will work, my first RDS you couldn't even see through it.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e130/toddgriffin00/007-6.jpg