PDA

View Full Version : some powder recommendations?

skyugo
12-26-07, 16:15
i'm currently reloading some ammo using IMR 3031. i have yet to try anything i've loaded as my upper is still in transit to my house.

i'm wondering what you all recommend. i'm thinking a clean burning powder would be very beneficial in an AR15 given the DI gas system. pretty much looking for fairly accurate plinking/target rounds. i've got a smal supply of 55 grain FMJBT hornady bullets i'll be loading, and i'm thinking about ordering some surplus 62 grain surplus bulets.

jmart
12-26-07, 20:04
H335, Ramshot TAC.

Rmplstlskn
12-26-07, 21:24
IMR 3031 is clean and cool but very hard to meter due to its LONG extruded shape...

TAC is the cheapest of the higher end powders but I have trouble finding it locally.

I have used Reloder-15 and Varget with great success, and both meter fairly...

H335 is a ball powder and meters like water.... Very sweet! I have found it best for LIGHTER bullets, like 55g, rather than heavier, 75-77g.

Rmpl

ffhounddog
12-27-07, 05:19
Ramshot X-Terminator is what i use for 55 grain and 62 grain pills.

Also AA2230 and AA2460 are always good as well.

H335 and BL-C(2) is almost anywhere that sells one pounders.

Reloader 15 is good and I have one pound of Reloader 10 that I got free that I will try.

I would suggest some pull down powders but I do not know your experinece with reloading.

If you are new check out your reloading books and pick a load and work that and work that up. If you are looking for one pounders to try try and get those local so you do not have alot of moeny invested in one type of powder that might or might not work for you. I tried AA2230 and X-Terminator and I like them alot. H335 is also nice but I kept on saying I was going to buy more heavy bullets and keep on sticking with 55 grain and 60 grain bullets.

H335 seems to be a good general powder for all aspects. If you reload .308 I would say get BL-C(2) and use just one powder but I like ball powders myself.

tiger seven
12-27-07, 06:24
For basic plinking loads, my favorite is Winchester 748. It's clean-burning (at least in my experience) and because it's a ball powder it meters easily.

Derek

Paulinski
12-27-07, 08:14
I have used H335 for 55 - 62 grain bullets , Varget for 69 - 77 grain bullets.

markm
12-27-07, 08:25
For basic plinking loads, my favorite is Winchester 748. It's clean-burning (at least in my experience) and because it's a ball powder it meters easily.

Derek

748 was my standard, but I got some TAC to try out at a nice discount. It seems to be a little cleaner, and I can get the same basic plinking load out of it with 2.0 grains less powder per round than 748.

Combine that with the fact that Tac is cheaper per pound.... I might have to switch for good.

toddackerman
12-29-07, 09:50
748 was my standard, but I got some TAC to try out at a nice discount. It seems to be a little cleaner, and I can get the same basic plinking load out of it with 2.0 grains less powder per round than 748.

Combine that with the fact that Tac is cheaper per pound.... I might have to switch for good.

I agree with Mark-M.

Cheaper than 748, and a lot cleaner. It is impossible to find locally at the "Super Stores", and the local Gun Shops are out of business here in Denver.

You can get it at Powder Valley for around $96.00 for 8 lbs. Remeber to order your other powders and primers at the same time so you only have to pay one Haz Mat fee. :)