PDA

View Full Version : Why can Walmart get LE marked 6920's... everyone else selling Sporters?

Javelin
03-01-12, 15:18
http://img.tapatalk.com/474c9217-e600-2fa4.jpg

outrider627
03-01-12, 15:25
The model designation is still LE6920, but the lower does not have the LE/Restricted markings or the LE6920 Carbine rollmark.

A couple people have posted pics of Colts they bought at Walmart. They have the M4 Carbine/Colt Defense markings.

lilro
03-01-12, 15:28
Aren't they all marked M4 Carbine now? Atleast mine is, and I got it at a LGS a couple weeks ago. I think the ones still marked Sporter are old stock.

G30Mike
03-01-12, 15:33
My 6720 has the M4 markings. No LE designation rollmark.

Javelin
03-01-12, 15:35
The model designation is still LE6920, but the lower does not have the LE/Restricted markings or the LE6920 Carbine rollmark.

A couple people have posted pics of Colts they bought at Walmart. They have the M4 Carbine/Colt Defense markings.

This would make sense. Colt just using some older boxes to get their product out there.

Somewhere someone 'in the know' posted that Colt is bringing out their LE version to civilians because of PD requirements... was wondering if this Walmart ruse could point to that actually being true.

emt370
03-01-12, 16:07
This would make sense. Colt just using some older boxes to get their product out there.

Somewhere someone 'in the know' posted that Colt is bringing out their LE version to civilians because of PD requirements... was wondering if this Walmart ruse could point to that actually being true.

What PD requirements would those be? Kinda interested.

wingspar
03-01-12, 16:24
Here is a good video by Sturmgewehre that I just happened to watch again earlier today. He speaks to the LE and SP designations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBj0tesg3SY&feature=plcp&context=C365a1eaUDOEgsToPDskIt9Sw8Fhep_yN73Ze81rED

Javelin
03-01-12, 16:48

I can't find the post. Probably just more jargon and rumor mill. :mad:

Javelin
03-01-12, 16:50
Here is a good video by Sturmgewehre that I just happened to watch again earlier today. He speaks to the LE and SP designations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBj0tesg3SY&feature=plcp&context=C365a1eaUDOEgsToPDskIt9Sw8Fhep_yN73Ze81rED

That is a really good video. Definitely a keeper in the link list of information.

ST911
03-01-12, 16:56

I can't find the post. Probably just more jargon and rumor mill. :mad:

I believe that's a reference to LE and .gov agencies that specify their purchase awards or use approvals by specific model number only. One poster noted that his agency would allow an LE6920, but an SP6920 would not be approved.

jhc8075
03-01-12, 16:57

For instance, if the policy stated that only model LE6920 was acceptable for on duty carry, anything other than that (including SP) would not be allowed. Brass at some big depts are still confused as to why officers need long guns or lights on their guns. It's a losing battle.

-jeff

duece71
03-01-12, 17:07
I wish my local Walmart had LE6920s :(

GTifosi
03-01-12, 17:32
I wish my local walmart would burn down.

SMETNA
03-01-12, 17:40
I wish my local walmart would burn down.

LoL. I bet you still go there from time to time though. Where else are you gonna get some Allen wrenches at 0400?

emt370
03-01-12, 17:48
I believe that's a reference to LE and .gov agencies that specify their purchase awards or use approvals by specific model number only. One poster noted that his agency would allow an LE6920, but an SP6920 would not be approved.

Makes sense...if you are a policy writer. Hopefully agencies like that are quick to take out the sole model number designation since it is changing...if you make it that restrictive and something like this happens, I'd hate to see the rank-and-file suffer or be ill-equipped.

Javelin
03-01-12, 17:51
Makes sense...if you are a policy writer. Hopefully agencies like that are quick to take out the sole model number designation since it is changing...if you make it that restrictive and something like this happens, I'd hate to see the rank-and-file suffer or be ill-equipped.

Yeah before DPMS realizes they just need to throw LE markings and open up some new contracts with these departments.

:lol:

emt370
03-01-12, 17:55
Yeah before DPMS realizes they just need to throw LE markings and open up some new contracts with these departments.

I wasn't going to mention it, but my PD allows purchase from an authorized list of common .223/5.56 manufacturers...Olympic and DPMS are on the list (among others like Colt, LMT, S&W thankfully), but makers like DD and BCM aren't. I'm sure I could make the argument and get them on though.

C4IGrant
03-01-12, 18:09

The sporter line is basically done so everyone should have the LE marked one again.

C4

An Undocumented Worker
03-01-12, 18:57
The sporter line is basically done so everyone should have the LE marked one again.

C4

So why did they decide to can the sporter line? Too much confusion about the models?

lilro
03-01-12, 19:09

C4IGrant
03-01-12, 19:18
So why did they decide to can the sporter line? Too much confusion about the models?

I believe the LE group at Colt did not like it.

C4

C4IGrant
03-01-12, 19:19
They are both the exact same except the markings. The Sporter marking came from the Clinton Gun Ban I believe. The LE version was illegal for civilians. Recently people have had gripes with their rifles saying "Sporter" so Colt changed it.

The LE gun was illegal?

C4

darbn
03-01-12, 19:24
I wish my local Walmart had LE6920s :(

I wish I didn't have to go to another county to buy ammo.

GTifosi
03-01-12, 21:25
LoL. I bet you still go there from time to time though. Where else are you gonna get some Allen wrenches at 0400?
Set foot in thier door once about 7 years ago and that's it.
AFA allen wrenches or other tools, I've got an upright rolling box full of that stuff. I've even got tools to make tools like front sight adjusters, though a paperclip and pencil eraser work just as well on a clean turning post...

At 0400 I'm usually on the couch with a gun under the pillow watching cartoons, not milling around the closout bins with hicks, inbreds and grossly overweight bag nasty fugly chicks in moo-moos.

In regard to the current LE marked, do they cary the 'use only' rollmark on them also, or am I thinking of something else that in ban era had 'use only' but now just has LE/MIL but no 'only' clause?

Javelin
03-01-12, 21:29

C4

So just to be clear no more Sporter line from Colt. Just LE versions from here on out?

G30Mike
03-01-12, 22:04
In regard to the current LE marked, do they cary the 'use only' rollmark on them also, or am I thinking of something else that in ban era had 'use only' but now just has LE/MIL but no 'only' clause?

I can only speak for my 6720 in this regard. I would think the 6920 would be the same though, but I didn't take note of it at my LGS as I compared the two trying to decide which one I wanted.

The only rollmark it has on it besides the "Made in Hartford Conn -USA-" is this...

http://img.tapatalk.com/425704c0-4662-f19d.jpg

S155
03-01-12, 22:06
I wasn't going to mention it, but my PD allows purchase from an authorized list of common .223/5.56 manufacturers...Olympic and DPMS are on the list (among others like Colt, LMT, S&W thankfully), but makers like DD and BCM aren't. I'm sure I could make the argument and get them on though.

I just had to send an email to get my DD on the "approved" list...

Stickman
03-01-12, 23:19
The LE version was illegal for civilians.

Please don't post things like that.

lilro
03-02-12, 04:56
The LE gun was illegal?

C4

I thought they were. Turns out to be a misunderstanding on my part. The post has been deleted.

TedG
03-02-12, 07:07
I can't believe that such a trivial thing like a roll mark designation gets so much attention.

A Colt is a Colt is a Colt.

:secret:

MrM4
03-02-12, 07:21
I can't believe that such a trivial thing like a roll mark designation gets so much attention.

A Colt is a Colt is a Colt.

:secret:

Agreed, when we order Colts the only differance is the roll mark, specs are %100 the same. The Roll mark is something that does cost dealers about $50 more to get. When I questioned the people at colt about the differances between sporter and LE models I was told there is not one, other then the roll mark on the receiver.

Unless you think it looks cool or if you need a reminder of what the AWB days where like I do not see any reason to pay extra for the LE markings.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-02-12, 09:58
Ive spent the last 4 years in CA, so I must be WAY out of the loop. To see guns being sold at Wal Mart, especially quality AR15's, is shocking to me. Awesome, but shocking.

Sgt_Gold
03-02-12, 11:19
The confusion about different Colt rifles being illegal to own came from the now defunct federal AWB. During the ban it was illegal for any new semi auto rifle with a detachable magazine to have any of the other 'evil features' that we all know and love. The state of CT banned the Colt AR-15 by name, and it's still banned today. NJ banned everything pre ban. NY has a state AWB that mirrors the expired federal one. Point is there is still one state in the US where you can't own a Colt AR-15 by name, but a Colt by any other name is good to go.

C4IGrant
03-02-12, 11:40
So just to be clear no more Sporter line from Colt. Just LE versions from here on out?

I believe so.

C4

GeorgiaBoy
03-02-12, 15:00
There has been 50 threads on this same issue of Colt roll marks in the past 6 months. Why they keep coming is something I don't understand.

LE, SP, M4 Carbine, Sporter, 6920, Gat, Gucci, what does it matter? It's the SAME gun!

Javelin
03-02-12, 15:03
There has been 50 threads on this same issue of Colt roll marks in the past 6 months. Why they keep coming is something I don't understand.

LE, SP, M4 Carbine, Sporter, 6920, Gat, Gucci, what does it matter? It's the SAME gun!

Because I got an answer to my question as to why Walmart has the LE version. Also found out that Colt is no longer making SP.

Been very informative. Thanks for contributing. :D

GeorgiaBoy
03-02-12, 15:11
Because I got an answer to my question as to why Walmart has the LE version. Also found out that Colt is no longer making SP.

Been very informative. Thanks for contributing. :D

While you may have had a legitimate question, it still remains that there have been way to many of these roll mark threads lately. If this much strife, confusion, and worry was created just over Colt roll marks, I'd hate to see Chevrolet rename the Silverado.

Terribleone1
03-02-12, 16:31
WOW that is great..... hear in ny walmart cant even sell toy guns :suicide2:

Texas42
03-02-12, 17:18
I need to look at walmart more often.

Buckshot Barry
03-02-12, 19:37
So where are these Walmarts located that stock LE6920's?

Just the state would be fine.

TacCommE21
03-03-12, 08:53
SC has them.

Tango Charlie145
03-03-12, 09:41
Louisiana has them.
At the same price as below.

DirectDrive
03-03-12, 10:29
With the buying power that Walmart has, they could probably have Sam's likeness engraved on them as well.

Heavy Metal
03-03-12, 11:39
Yep, they can get anything they want from Colt for one simple reason and that is Wallyworld lives by the golden rule: They got most of the gold so they get to make most of the rules.

chewie
03-03-12, 11:51
i'm in texas and they are stocking these rifles at a couple of stores. i was surprised to see them there. i think they had a smith or sig, too. i'll give it a closer look the next time i'm in there.

ST911
03-03-12, 12:06
Chevy renaming Silverado won't get you in anywhere near the shit that having an LE marked Colt will with a LEO that's clueless. He'll just see a 'cop rifle' in 'civilian' hands and wet himself thinking he's got a big time felony arrest to pimp his personel file with.

Concern outruns reality by a long shot on the topic.

OkieOutlaw
03-03-12, 12:11
OK has them as well as bushmaster and windham. They are short one Colt now though.:dance3: The manager told me that they got a dozen of each on the same truck and that I bought the last Colt and that the others were not selling at all.

Javelin
03-03-12, 12:13
OK has them as well as bushmaster and windham. They are short one Colt now though.:dance3:

Nice!

I am excited to see Walmart offering Colts. At least folks have a choice over S&W and Bushmaster.

redone13
03-03-12, 15:33
Wow, I wish my Walmart stocked these.

Huldra128
03-03-12, 16:04
Wow, I wish my Walmart stocked these.

Next time I go in I'll be asking if they can get them up here in MN. I've never seen them in any of the Wal-Marts here.

Jake'sDad
03-03-12, 16:54
Considering how few states still have full out AWB's, I don't think its that big of a deal.

Likely because you're not one of the 25%+/- of the population that lives in one of those states.......

Buckshot Barry
03-03-12, 18:58
I can confirm that the Walmart in Canton, GA has a LE6920 in the case for $1097. Everything you would expect, LE serial number, Colt Defense, M4 Carbine, 5.56, Rogers Super Stock.

Looked just like the one I inspected at Clyde Armory 2 weeks ago.

AKDoug
03-03-12, 20:48
Some mook here locally is trying to unload an unfired LE rollmarked 6920 for $1600.00 as a "collectors item" because he says Colt won't be making them anymore. I just had to laugh.

leadtag101
03-04-12, 23:03
Wife sent me to Wallmart for a bag of suger and came home with a brand new le 6920, Boy was she pissed!! Oh well better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!! Lol

Jake'sDad
03-04-12, 23:45
This is going to change the whole "People of Walmart" dynamic....

Javelin
03-05-12, 00:02
This is going to change the whole "People of Walmart" dynamic....

Nice.

wingspar
03-05-12, 12:17
After reading this thread and others like it on other forums, I decided to give the only Walmart I can get to on a day trip a call to see if they had them, and no. Never had them. Don’t know of any plans to carry them either. These guns are getting hard to find. Seems like not too long ago, they were everywhere. Now that I want one, nada... Sigh

DKS01
03-05-12, 22:30
Knoxville, TN area HAD at least one!

leadtag101
03-05-12, 23:33
Wallmart bozeman montana had one and I snagged it!! Nice weapon. My first AR 15.

Javelin
03-06-12, 00:00
Wallmart bozeman montana had one and I snagged it!! Nice weapon. My first AR 15.

Congrats! :D

G30Mike
03-06-12, 02:31

Congrats!
Definitely a nice first M4! Enjoy!

leadtag101
03-06-12, 08:47
Congrats!
Definitely a nice first M4! Enjoy!

Thanks ive always wanted this colt for years, then to see one at Wallmart was a real shock.

TJx
03-06-12, 10:19
Northern KY Walmart has had them recently. Since I was there asking about them he ordered 3 more for the store.
He said any Walmart that carries the tactical rifles should be able to order one.

m4brian
03-06-12, 10:36
Does my heart good to see Walmart doing this. I can remember when so called "assault rifles" were sold in the Park City Mall in Lancaster, PA back in the day. That was a GOOD thing...

But, here in Northern VA, Walmart has virtually stopped selling firearms. Disgusting.

1859sharps
03-06-12, 13:04
The LE gun was illegal?
C4

lilro is both right and wrong at the same time. AKA confused about how the 1994 ban worked. During the time the 1994 Federal AWB was in affect, Colt did manufacture "ARs" that were NOT legal to sell retail to civilians.

What made them illegal or identified them as illegal to sell at retail to non Military or Law Enforcement agencies was their features, NOT what was stamped on the side of the receiver.

The law did say you could no longer manufacture "Colt AR 15s", but a LE 6920 isn't an AR 15, it's a different model and product line. So technically it wasn't banded by name. The other part of the law defined an "Assault Weapon" by feature. If it was semi auto, with a pistol grip and two or more of a list of features it was then an "Assault Weapon" and could NOT be manufacture for civilian retail sale.

As I understood the law, Colt or someone else could have technically taken a LE6920, pinned the stock permanently open and shaved the bayonet lug and it would then have been 100% legal for retail civilian sales during the time of the ban. But there was good reason to not have done this too.

The LE stamp, the "restricted to law enforcement" type roll marks etc was about cya and marketing. Not compliance with the law. All Colt had to do was not sell guns with 2 or more of the "evil" features in order comply with the law. At least in terms of retail civilian sales.

Now that the law has expired roll marks are 100% about marketing, branding, sales only.

It is very important for people who weren't old enough to remember the ban or were not into semi auto firearms until long after the ban expired, with the exception of 19 specifically listed models of guns, the ban was accomplished by features. IF the gun did not have the features or was not one of the 19 specific listed guns, it was legal to sell at retail. Regardless of what was stamped on the side of the gun, with of course the exception of the 19 listed models.

So, two bottom lines to keep in mind.

1. most guns were affected by the ban due to their features, NOT what was stamped on the side of the rifle
2. the ban has expired.

lilro
03-06-12, 14:26
lilro is both right and wrong at the same time. AKA confused about how the 1994 ban worked. During the time the 1994 Federal AWB was in affect, Colt did manufacture "ARs" that were NOT legal to sell retail to civilians.

What made them illegal or identified them as illegal to sell at retail to non Military or Law Enforcement agencies was their features, NOT what was stamped on the side of the receiver.

The law did say you could no longer manufacture "Colt AR 15s", but a LE 6920 isn't an AR 15, it's a different model and product line. So technically it wasn't banded by name. The other part of the law defined an "Assault Weapon" by feature. If it was semi auto, with a pistol grip and two or more of a list of features it was then an "Assault Weapon" and could NOT be manufacture for civilian retail sale.

As I understood the law, Colt or someone else could have technically taken a LE6920, pinned the stock permanently open and shaved the bayonet lug and it would then have been 100% legal for retail civilian sales during the time of the ban. But there was good reason to not have done this too.

The LE stamp, the "restricted to law enforcement" type roll marks etc was about cya and marketing. Not compliance with the law. All Colt had to do was not sell guns with 2 or more of the "evil" features in order comply with the law. At least in terms of retail civilian sales.

Now that the law has expired roll marks are 100% about marketing, branding, sales only.

It is very important for people who weren't old enough to remember the ban or were not into semi auto firearms until long after the ban expired, with the exception of 19 specifically listed models of guns, the ban was accomplished by features. IF the gun did not have the features or was not one of the 19 specific listed guns, it was legal to sell at retail. Regardless of what was stamped on the side of the gun, with of course the exception of the 19 listed models.

So, two bottom lines to keep in mind.

1. most guns were affected by the ban due to their features, NOT what was stamped on the side of the rifle
2. the ban has expired.

I was going by the flowchart on calguns. It said the "Colt Law Enforcement (6920)" was on the ban list in Appendix B. I took this to mean the Colt LE6920 was on the ban list.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

1859sharps
03-06-12, 16:39
I was going by the flowchart on calguns. It said the "Colt Law Enforcement (6920)" was on the ban list in Appendix B. I took this to mean the Colt LE6920 was on the ban list.

http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Gotcha. yes, in California the rifle would be still banned due to State Law. Not Federal Law. There is not currently a Federal AWB.

But to confuse things even more...the new "6920" roll marks plus a bullet button now make it legal for California. Do the due diligence to make sure you get the right one if you live in California. Grant should have no issues helping guide you if there is any questions.

lilro
03-06-12, 17:13
Gotcha. yes, in California the rifle would be still banned due to State Law. Not Federal Law. There is not currently a Federal AWB.

But to confuse things even more...the new "6920" roll marks plus a bullet button now make it legal for California. Do the due diligence to make sure you get the right one if you live in California. Grant should have no issues helping guide you if there is any questions.

Yes it is very confusing to me. I have the Colt LE6920MP-BCA that is outfitted with Magpul accessories. The -MP-BCA suffix makes it off-list correct? It has a bullet button to allow me the "evil" features. I bought it from a LGS so I'm pretty sure it's legal, but that won't really hold up in court and I'm not exactly sure what to say to a LEO if the situation ever arises. It's listed on the Colt site as California-compliant but I don't have the legal vocabulary to make sure I drive home with it and don't have to fight in court to get it back. Do I call it a M4 carbine as that's what it's rollmarked as? I'm thinking about just selling it and getting a Noveske just to get the stress off my mind.

1859sharps
03-06-12, 17:51
what's stamped on the receiver? does it look like this
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=92511

if it does, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

lilro
03-06-12, 18:26
Yup just like that. Except I have MOE handguards, grip, MBUS and stock.