PDA

View Full Version : Rear Sight

OkieOutlaw
03-01-12, 15:41
A few days ago I introduced myself and my brand new LE6920 rifle. Since then I removed the stock carry handle and mounted a CenterPoint 3x9 scope. Needless to say I love this little rifle, and think it will be deadly on our coyotes and wild hogs here is southern OK. I like the scope and the idea of the long range capabilities it will provide I am considering trading it out for a red dot sight or possibly a holographic type sight. If I decide to make this change I feel it would also be necessary to add a folding rear sight in case of failure in the field. My question is will all of the folding rear sights be compatible for the stock front sight and ones to look out for in particular. I have been lurking and reading long before joining and highly trust the opinions I have read here. This is only my second post so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

Guns-up.50
03-01-12, 15:51
congrats on the rifle awesome choice. This topic has been brought up before using the search will help you much in the future. On the other hand if you are using it as a h/d (fighting rifle) I prefer to have a fixed rear like the DD 1.5 great sight, always up no springs/ buttons. But if you are stuck on folding sights Troy. Folders are great if you switch back and forth between RDS and vari scopes. Most sights are set up to align to your FSP. Even if you dont go to a RDS a BUIS is a good idea. Up to you though.
Good Luck

J_Dub_503
03-01-12, 16:08
I'm adding another vote for the Troy buis...these are hands down my favorites. If you find that you would rather have a fixed rear sight, I would go with either the DD or the Larue. Using the orange search button will give you a plethora of threads detailing this topic.

OkieOutlaw
03-01-12, 18:25
Thanks, Sorry for the inconvenience.

Failure2Stop
03-01-12, 18:36
There are a few good options out there in folding rear sights:
Matech, KAC, Troy, and some others that aren't springing to mind. The Troys are the most popular, but certainly aren't the only game in town.
I don't know what optic you are using or how you have it mounted, but pretty much all of the current mounts will be high enough to mount your optic in position without disturbing your sights, which gives you a nice cross-over between optics.

Personally, if I have a dot optic mounted I prefer to use a fixed rear, as it gives the fastest transition from optic to iron and are much more robust. Good fixed options are Daniel Defense, LaRue, LMT, Troy, or a simple chop-job on a carry handle.

fdxpilot
03-01-12, 19:33
My question is will all of the folding rear sights be compatible for the stock front sight and ones to look out for in particular. I have been lurking and reading long before joining and highly trust the opinions I have read here. This is only my second post so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

Just remember that your Colt is the very definition of Mil-spec, being the civilian legal version of the M4 carbine. Any sight with proper mil-spec height, like the above-mentioned Troy, or even a Magpul MBUS, will work with your rifle.

sinlessorrow
03-01-12, 20:05
Matech's off the equipment exchange is generally the cheapest

TacMedic556
03-01-12, 20:21
+1 for Larue (same plane) on my 6920 with Aimpoint ML3
+1 Troy - on my BCM 14.5 with T1 2 MOA.

The Larue is bomber and "set and forget" windage. Great design, robust. I almost wish I had bought another for my BCM, however I might go with a more magnified optic oneday so I kept my options open with the Troy. All the Troys are "same plane" as far as I remember.

steelonsteel
03-01-12, 20:44
I've been very pleaed with my magpul mbus rear sights.

kartoffel
03-01-12, 20:48
Magnified optics: folders make good sense.
1x dot sight: might as well stay fixed unless you're planning for the future.

usmcvet
03-02-12, 06:13
Here is a great price on an LMT BUIS.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=100487