PDA

View Full Version : Skill Assessments for Practical/Defensive Bolt Guns

ST911
03-01-12, 16:50
I find myself shooting my sport-utility bolt gun a lot this winter, and appreciating the capability, flexibility, and discreet nature of the thing. We've discussed the sport-utility/practical/defensive/fighting bolt guns in other threads. With the growing popularity and/or awareness of them, what measures of basic skill development and system competency are you using?

For individuals relying on a bolt gun as a primary or contingency long arm, do you utilize a particular skill test to measure and baseline your ability?

For LEFIs/agencies, if you authorize or utilize a bolt gun in a non-precision role, such as a primary patrol rifle, animal control, or other uses, what do you use for a qual COF?

For other individual trainers or schools, same?

I've adapted some semi-auto COFs, and prepared a few bolt-specific Q-courses for a baseline P/F competency standard. What are you using, and how is it working for you?

Do note... This is NOT for precision/sharpshooting guns, though some of those COFs are adaptable as well.

Discuss.

ST911
10-21-12, 22:03
DRILL: 5-ROUND-DOWN

Target: Humanoid or big-game target of choice
Distance: 100yds

Shooter prepares the rifle by loading it with four rounds in the magazine, bolt closed, empty chamber, safety on. A fifth round should be available in a location of the shooters choice. In the case of a rifle utilizing a detachable magazine, it should be loaded in a second magazine.

Rifles using magnified optics will be set on the lowest magnification.

Shooter begins the drill at the 100yd line in the ready position (alternately, slung). On the command to fire, shooter fires one round in each of the strong side off-hand, drop kneel, supported kneel, sitting, and prone positions. Reload may occur at the shooters preference.

Time: 30 seconds
Scoring: 1pt for each impact in defined lethal scoring zone. 3/5 in lethal zone, -and- 5/5 on target to pass.

tpd223
10-23-12, 09:38
While my department has a non-precision bolt gun we have no real drills for it. The gun is a .458Win mag the city keeps on hand in case of a problem at the zoo and one of the really big animals needs to be put down.

Your posted drill is a good one. Very similar to a well known trainer friend's "13 in 30" drill with an AR.

Kilroy
10-28-12, 21:38
Check the December 2012 issue of SWAT for an article titled "Man Skills: Cumberland Tactics Practical Rifle Course" by Rob Sloyer. I've heard many good things about Randy Cain's rifle course.

Cumberland Tactics Practical Rifle Course (http://www.guntactics.com/Rifle.htm)

Reliable sources tell me that this is the practical rifle class by which they should all be judged.

It is on my short list.

A Practical Rifle (http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/projects---guns/winchester-model-70)

Alpha Sierra
10-29-12, 20:39
While my department has a non-precision bolt gun we have no real drills for it. The gun is a .458Win mag the city keeps on hand in case of a problem at the zoo and one of the really big animals needs to be put down.

You should req funds for a safari in Africa to evaluate TTPs

ST911
05-27-13, 23:48
We've had a new batch of members and contributors come in since I started this thread, and thought it might be worth a bump. Practical bolt skills, drills, and assessments are still a pursuit.

T2C
05-28-13, 00:13
Thanks Skin Top. I like the idea of shooting your drill with a bolt gun. I am going to try your drill with iron sights. It should be an interesting drill with a Mosin Nagant or a Yugo 24/47 Mauser shooting ball ammunition.

I have another drill that I like to do that involves running from the 100 yard line to the 50 yard line and firing two shots C.O.M. in 24 seconds. It's not bad with an AR, but it takes a little more work with a heavy bolt action rifle.

Another drill we did at work was to ground the rifle in front of you while you are in the prone position and fire shots at 50 yards. We did it with an AR, but I like to do it with a bolt gun. You have 4 seconds to pick up the rifle, take it off safe and fire a head shot. With a bolt gun you chamber another live round before putting the rifle back on safe. Repeat the drill 4 more times for a total of 5 rounds. If you have a short berm behind the target, you can staple a 3" x 5" card low on the target and put your rounds on the card. Doing pushups between shots makes it even more fun.

LHS
05-28-13, 01:49
You should req funds for a safari in Africa to evaluate TTPs

I second this. It's For The Children, after all...

arizona98tj
06-01-13, 18:42
I've taken the practical rifle course at Front Sight a number of times. While it is most commonly shot using an AR platform rifle, I've shared the training with folks using a bolt action rifle. Since there are no double taps of any kind, the shooter is not hindered in regards to getting the next round loaded. Everything is shot under time pressure. Distances range from close contact out to 200 yards. For what it is worth, an average of 1% of the students qualify at the 90% or better level (referred to as a distinguished graduate - DG). Included in the skills test are also Type 1, 2, 3 malfunction drills (twice on each one), tactical and emergency reloads, again, all done under time pressure. You get 0 points for doing each one correctly. If you are late, it is -3 points. If you have a procedure error, it is -3 points.

A couple of these times might not be current but it gives you an idea anyway. A humanoid target (http://www.stu-offroad.com/firearms/fs-rifle/fs-rifle-10.jpg) is used....with a 5 point and 2 point zone. At any distance from 50 yds and out, you are allowed a supported position (kneeling, prone, sitting, etc.) However, you are required to be in a standing position with the rifle at a low ready when the start timer beeps. Here is the course of fire:

24 shots for a possible 120 total points. Each perfect shot = 5 points.

Single shot body, 15m, 1.5 seconds, 15 points
Single shot body, 25m, 2.0 seconds, 15 points
Single shot body, 50m, 3.0 seconds, 15 points
Single shot body, 100m, 5.0 seconds, 15 points
Single shot body, 200m, 6.0 seconds, 15 points

Single shot head, 15m, 2.0 seconds, 15 points
Single shot head, 25m, 2.5 seconds, 15 points

Single shot from Ready hostage taker left, 7m, 1.5 seconds, 5 points
Single shot from Ready hostage taker right, 7m, 1.5 seconds, 5 points

Single shot, field ready, close contact, 3m, 1.0 seconds, 5 points

Edit: The target shown in the above link is my DG target. I dropped 6 points (two head shots) total on the target. I shot the course that day using my ACOG equipped M&P15 .223. I was using Hornady steel cased training ammo. :)