PDA

View Full Version : extreme emergency life and death situation.

Robryan
03-01-12, 18:13
If there was a major catastrophe and some one was beading to death, and you were able to stop the beading. Would it be possible to give a person some blood if there was no way that they could get medical help. I have O neg. blood and I understand I could give it to anybody. Just remember seeing something like this on Mash.

alienb1212
03-01-12, 18:46
Hate to sound like a dick but if you have to ask this question you don't have any business attempting the procedure.

MIKE G
03-01-12, 20:05
Yep, it can be done. There is a shit ton of knowledge and a good bit of gear you would need to do it. Having neither, you are better off not trying it. If you are dead set on having this capability you should start off with an A&P class and then start researching field transfusions and go from there.

Texas42
03-01-12, 20:09
If you want to save a life (or few) donate blood today.

If you don't know what your doing, then don't do it.

Get BLS certified, take some first AID classes, but don't play doctor or nurse. Consider buying an AED, and know when to call 911.

Battle*Hound
03-01-12, 20:10
Hate to sound like a dick but if you have to ask this question you don't have any business attempting the procedure.

:D too true...but I am still interested in hearing more about this

gan1hck
03-01-12, 20:13
O-negative doesn't mean that you don't have other antibodies that can very quickly off someone with the antigen in their blood components.

In theory...with some primitive gear....and some knowledge ...you can give an whole blood transfusion...

In real life........no.

NeoNeanderthal
03-01-12, 20:25
But he saw it on MASH....

Robryan
03-01-12, 20:26

I can think of several scenarios after a disaster where there wouldn't be medical help in days or weeks, and it could become a life or death situation. You might be right and giving blood can only be given in a hospital or has to be filtered or something that is why I am asking. Surely some one would know if it is possible and what if a doctor was available could it be done in an emergency situation with some type of needles and tubing just asking. and is there possibly any type of kit made for this.

ST911
03-01-12, 20:38
If there was a major catastrophe and some one was beading to death, and you were able to stop the beading. Would it be possible to give a person some blood if there was no way that they could get medical help. I have O neg. blood and I understand I could give it to anybody. Just remember seeing something like this on Mash.

My first thought was, "YGBSM."

My next thought: Thank you for coming forward and asking the question, rather than being one in the hordes of people that go out, buy cool-guy gear, and plan to use it without the knowledge and experience to do so properly.

Yes, field transfusions can be done, but require training, equipment, and experience.

Texas42 has the best suggestion: Go to your local blood bank and give as much as you can, as often as you can.

Robryan
03-01-12, 20:55
Well maybe I should have posted this under Disaster Preparation but as stupid as this may seem to some of you, I did as one of you suggested and searched under field transfusions and not only is it possible but there are complete kits. That can test for blood type etc. Wouldn't it be good if there were a lot of these kits around that could be used by a trained person in a situation where a hospital is not an option thanks for the help. Some time just steering some one in the right direction is all that is need now I can do research.

J8127
03-01-12, 21:05
You gotta be ****ing kidding me.

K.L. Davis
03-01-12, 22:19
I think we established that this is something best left to very well trained professionals, and/or make believe movie sets.