PDA

View Full Version : My New BCM Upper Arrived Today

Canonshooter
03-01-12, 18:33
BCM 14.5” mid length lightweight (standard barrel) with pinned A2X (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-14-5-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-14lw.htm)

I ordered the upper on Sunday, 2/26 along with a Gunfighter Mod3 CH, a LaRue BUIS and a set of Magpul MOE hand guards.

On Monday morning, I got a call from BCM CS to confirm my shipping address (which is different than my billing address) and was told my order would ship that afternoon. That evening, I received an email with the UPS tracking number.

The order arrived today on schedule. After examining the upper I made the following observations;

1. The pinned A2X FH is timed perfectly. This may sound like a minor point, but I’ve had FHs pinned in the past and they were usually close at best. Getting it dead-nuts on is nice and shows attention to detail.

2. The front sight post turns as it should. This may sound like a minor point, but I’ve had top-end BUIS sets where the front post was very tough to turn, making adjustment a real PITA.

3. The rifling looks clean and sharp (as much as one can tell without a bore scope) and the muzzle chamfer is clean and even.

Overall the upper looks well-assembled with quality parts (no surprise).

I pushed a patch through the bore using a Dewey one-piece coated rod and AR bore guide to remove any excess lubricant. I then assembled the upper with the new CH and a new LMT SA BCG that I had sitting on the shelf, well lubed with Slip 2000 EWL. I installed the LaRue LT103 BUIS and my G,G&G QD “sling thing” (which I’ve always found handy for a carry sling front attachment).

I installed the new upper on a BM lower that I’ve had for a long time. There’s not much Bushmaster left to it other than the receiver itself and the magazine latch. The lower has a Giesselle SSA trigger, an ambi-safety from BCM (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Ambidextrous-Saftey-Selector-semi-p/selector%20safety%20ambi%20-%20semi.htm), Magpul aluminum trigger guard, MIAD grip and a CTR stock, mil-spec receiver extension (with staked castle nut), CS spring and H buffer purchased as a kit from G and R Tactical. This lower has served me well with every upper I have put on it.

I placed the completed rifle on my postal scale – 6 pounds, 8.4 ounces. The new “little rifle” feels great to handle and measures just under 32 inches with the CTR fully collapsed. With the stock extended to a 13.5 inch pull, the view through the irons (small aperture) looks perfect and my aging eyes can still get the front post in reasonably sharp focus.

I’ll be taking the new lightweight KISS carbine for a test run this weekend. My plan is to zero it at 50 yards and try a variety of loads for accuracy and function, including XM193, 77 grain Hornady Match, 77 grain SMK Black Hills and some 77 grain hand loads. I will post photos and my range results this weekend.

Thanks to all for sharing the knowledge.

eternal24k
03-01-12, 18:46
i wonder where BCM is getting their barrels with Sabre out of the picture

polymorpheous
03-01-12, 18:51

Do you think that BCM sourced their barrels from Sabre?
Where did you get this information from?

chadil1ac
03-01-12, 20:24

Hmmm, I am curious as well. I have never heard that they got their barrels from Sabre either.

But too the OP, glad you are happy. You can't really go wrong by getting a BCM. I can't imagine not buying a barrel or BCG from them. I have had thousands of rounds of all types through my BCM upper and the only problem I had was a hard primer on steel case of crap ammo but obviously that was not a gun malfunction rather than me being cheap. I don't shoot steel cased ammo anymore...

Casull
03-01-12, 21:18
I was under the assumption they probably made their own barrels due to the fact they emphasize their 410 stainless ones so much. I never looked into it, though.

Casull
03-01-12, 21:21
I just checked. They seem to lay claim to it being their own product.

Read the descriptions:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-mid-16%20bfh.htm

The other "standard" barrels feature nearly the exact description minus the hammer forged part. Yes, BCM is BCM.

GeorgiaBoy
03-01-12, 21:44
BCM does NOT make their own barrels. They may do the final touches on blanks; Paul himself has said that their barrels come from a mfg. with a "very good pedigree". It's the general consensus that most come from FN.

Pog926
03-01-12, 21:55
Posted from TOS.

Here's Paul of Bravo Co. Mfg. reply to my question of who makes their barrels in the referenced archive thread:

"We purchase these contoured blanks direct from ER Shaw.

Our M4 upper receivers come from CMT."

polymorpheous
03-01-12, 22:06
Posted from TOS.

Here's Paul of Bravo Co. Mfg. reply to my question of who makes their barrels in the referenced archive thread:

Please provide a link to this quote.

Casull
03-01-12, 22:08
Interesting, very interesting.

What about this?:

Made by Bravo Company MFG, Inc. (BCM™) These Barreled Upper Receiver Groups are designed for shooting professionals with the Mil-Spec features for the demands of their duty.

... I see how it might need to say "assembled" I guess it doesn't say it's the barrel. ?

3 AE
03-02-12, 00:37
Posted from TOS.

To me, it just feels good to know that a lot of our AR-15 manufacturers are producing or sub contracting out so many of the products right here in the USA. Yes, some of the products are less in quality than what we expect from them, but in the long run, a whole lot of goodness is coming from right here, right now within our own shores. I salute them and say thank you.:thank_you2:

Pog926
03-02-12, 05:59
Please provide a link to this quote.

Here you go.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=308725

Canonshooter
03-02-12, 06:33
That thead is over 5 years old and I'm betting it no longer applies. Supply chains are constantly changing based on availability, price and quality vs. demand & customer expectations for Bravo products.

As a civilian consumer, as long as the parts meet BCM's specification and perform to expectation, it does not matter much to me who actually makes the parts and pieces that go into their uppers.

djmorris
03-02-12, 07:32
That's mad old! In 2006 BCM wasn't even established as a top dog in the AR game; at least not the way they are now.. which reminds me, why doesn't BCM do a little more advertising and pushing of their obviously fine products?! Every time I mention BCM at a LGS they're like "huh?" and think that I own some kind of no-name Del-Ton clone. :sarcastic: That's irrelevant to this thread though.

OP, pics or it didn't happen! :D

sobiloff
03-02-12, 08:05
That's mad old! In 2006 BCM wasn't even established as a top dog in the AR game; at least not the way they are now.. which reminds me, why doesn't BCM do a little more advertising and pushing of their obviously fine products?!

Why pay to advertise when you already have trouble meeting existing demand? The money's better spent improving capacity and ensuring quality growth to meet existing demand than to generate more demand that can't be met with the current capacity.

justin_247
03-02-12, 08:53
This is a silly, silly discussion.

It doesn't matter where BCM sources their barrels from. It could be ER Shaw, or CMT, or FN, or Ruger, or any number of outfits that manufacture barrels.

What matters are two things:
(a) that said manufacturer produces the barrels in accordance with the specifications outlined by BCM, and (b) that BCM has an independent quality control process to ensure that those specifications are met and that the user receives a high quality product.

This whole comparative "who sources their barrel from who?" meme floating around gun forums is ridiculous. For example, Spike's and PSA have been flaunting their FN barrels for some time now in an attempt to show that they're somehow equal to Noveske and Centurion, since they also source FN barrels. But the real questions are, "(a) to what specifications did they require FN to adhere to?" and "(b) what quality controls do they have in place to ensure that the user is getting a high quality product?"

snackgunner
03-02-12, 09:09
This thread hurts my head.

djmorris
03-02-12, 09:36
Why pay to advertise when you already have trouble meeting existing demand? The money's better spent improving capacity and ensuring quality growth to meet existing demand than to generate more demand that can't be met with the current capacity.

Very true. What I meant to say is spend some of that profit on expanding their manufacturing/assembling facilities and spreadin' some BCM love including getting their name out there or in the hands of LEO, etc.. They have the potential to be huge but it's still pretty much untapped right now. Not that they aren't raking in the big bucks obviously, but I'm doubting they would be able to handle the volume of a large contract. I'd hate to see them sacrifice quality for quantity and I've already got a BCM so what do I care! :D

(a) that said manufacturer produces the barrels in accordance with the specifications outlined by BCM, and (b) that BCM has an independent quality control process to ensure that those specifications are met and that the user receives a high quality product.

This whole comparative "who sources their barrel from who?" meme floating around gun forums is ridiculous. For example, Spike's and PSA have been flaunting their FN barrels for some time now in an attempt to show that they're somehow equal to Noveske and Centurion, since they also source FN barrels. But the real questions are, "(a) to what specifications did they require FN to adhere to?" and "(b) what quality controls do they have in place to ensure that the user is getting a high quality product?"

Amen.

polymorpheous
03-02-12, 09:43
I call bullshit.
That thread is from 2006.
Also, no where in the thread did BCM actually respond.
As far as I know BCM does not disclose it's sources.

chadil1ac
03-02-12, 10:52
So OP, pics yet? Maybe we can get this thread back on track :)

bookin
03-02-12, 10:58
Let's see it. I'm building almost the same rifle, just waiting for my parts to arrive at the front door :cool:

DeltaSierra
03-02-12, 12:11
I call bullshit.
Finally.....

As far as I know BCM does not disclose it's sources.

Not only that, but even if they did disclose their sources, I simply can't fathom BCM sourcing anything from a company of such questionable quality as E. R. Shaw.

svtpwnz
03-02-12, 14:39

+1 on this. Every time I turn around their products are out of stock.

northern1
03-02-12, 18:00
I placed 2 orders with Bravo last week and recived my packages yesterday, with a 16" light weight midlenght upper being the meat and gravy of the order.

Between the 2 packages I got 4 posters, 2 different hats and a ton of stickers which could all be used as advertising by me as the consumer. Then I got to thinking about how heavily the advertise in many of the gun mags.

Seems to me like they're putting a decent amount of money into advertising.

GeorgiaBoy
03-02-12, 22:55
I'd rather wait for a product than them to put a bunch of inexperienced guys on the benches and their QC begin to drop.

polymorpheous
03-03-12, 03:38
I'd rather wait for a product than them to put a bunch of inexperienced guys on the benches and their QC begin to drop.

I don't understand.
Is this what you think is happening?

Canonshooter
03-03-12, 07:59
So OP, pics yet? Maybe we can get this thread back on track :)

Packing up now to hit the range! I'll be posting late today or tomorrow.

C4IGrant
03-03-12, 08:20

BCM has NEVER gotten barrels from Sabre (FYI).

C4

C4IGrant
03-03-12, 08:22
Posted from TOS.

Please look at the date on that thread!

This is no longer the case.

C4

chadil1ac
03-03-12, 10:59
Packing up now to hit the range! I'll be posting late today or tomorrow.

Awesome, be sure to let us know. I love my BCM middy. It is the softest shooting AR I have ever shot.

GeorgiaBoy
03-03-12, 12:45
I don't understand.
Is this what you think is happening?

It is what I DON'T want to happen.

9DivDoc
03-03-12, 13:16
Enjoy your FN barrel...I know I enjoy mine....:cool:

Canonshooter
03-03-12, 14:40
It had snowed the last few days, and today it turned to rain. The range was a sloppy mess, but I was anxious to sight-in the new upper and take it for a test drive.

Photo 1 of completed rifle;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/lwcarb-1.jpg

Photo 2 - As I stated in my first post, the A2X FH is timed perfectly. Call me stupid but this stuff makes me giddy;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/lwcarb-4.jpg

Range Results

I only fired about 100 rounds, but there were zero malfunctions of any kind. Most of the shooting was done with 30-round PMAGS.

As expected, I struggled getting the front post in focus and I am 100% confident that the accuracy bench testing would have had much better results with magnified optics. That said the results were quite satisfying.

Photo 3 - The rear sight required very little windage adjustment, indicating the FSB was assembled straight (this makes me giddy too). Here it is adjusted;

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/lwcarb-2.jpg

Photo 4 – Hornady 75 Grain 223 Match gave the best accuracy. This group measures 1-3/4 inches (iron sights, 50 yards);

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/lwcarb-5.jpg

Photo 5 - To finish up the outing, I loaded 10 rounds of XM193 in a 30 round PMAG and, got down in the wet snow and fired them from the kneeling position in about 10 seconds. Eight shots went into two inches, 50 yards iron sights (I won’t win any marksmanship awards but I was quite happy with this);

http://www.canonshooter.com/photos2/lwcarb-6.jpg

Conclusion

The upper is well-assembled and provides more-than-adequate accuracy. I may try to borrow a QD mounted scope to see what the true accuracy potential is of this upper.

As expected, the 14.5” mid length cycles smoothly and is a pleasure to shoot. While a brake would make it even smoother, I don't miss the pounding percussion.

The last target of the day (Photo 5) IMO really tells the story – the short, light carbine truly comes into its own when fired from field positions. The combination of good accuracy, smooth function, great trigger (Giesselle SSA) and ease of handling makes it a pleasure to shoot.

I’m going to keep working with the irons as I really like the compactness of this configuration. However, I may be tempted at some point to install a micro RDS. Nonetheless, I really like this set up and IMO is a definite keeper!

J_Dub_503
03-03-12, 15:01
I’m going to keep working with the irons as I really like the compactness of this configuration. However, I may be tempted at some point to install a micro RDS. Nonetheless, I really like this set up and IMO is a definite keeper!

Nice stick, I like the pictures. :dirol: Although not micro, a used EOTech from the EE would be nice (inexpensive) addition to this rifle.

chadil1ac
03-04-12, 17:49
Awesome pictures Canon! Looks like a fun day. Thanks for sharing.

TacMedic556
03-04-12, 20:27
Great rifle. Have nearly the same one. Light, fast, accurate.

rojocorsa
03-04-12, 21:58

BCM doesn't use Saber barrels. Mr. Buffoni even went out of his way to post this info on Calguns because of the major pissing match started over BCM. Grant would especially know what I am talking about, as well as any other M4C members that post on CGN.

2theXtreme
03-04-12, 22:44
BCM doesn't use Saber barrels. Mr. Buffoni even went out of his way to post this info on Calguns because of the major pissing match started over BCM. Grant would especially know what I am talking about, as well as any other M4C members that post on CGN.

We're done here. This thread is not about BCM barrels but about this gents new BCM upper. Let's keep it that way. I'm sure he would appreciate it. Nobody likes to have their thread derailed...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

jet80tv
03-05-12, 01:01
This is a silly, silly discussion.

It doesn't matter where BCM sources their barrels from. It could be ER Shaw, or CMT, or FN, or Ruger, or any number of outfits that manufacture barrels.

Well bub I can tell you from personal experience that the spikes/FN made chf barrels are top notch though I only have a DD chf to compare it to not a BCM....ER shaw.....and the specs for various spikes stuff have been posted in various forums yet many doubt the validity.....oh well like I said, workin good for me.

Canonshooter
03-05-12, 07:05
Well bub I can tell you from personal experience that the spikes/FN made chf barrels are top notch...

I considered the BFH version of this upper but decided to go with the "standard" the version. I doubt I'll ever put enough rounds through it to benefit from any increased life and for a 14.5 inch carbine with iron sights (or maybe a micro RDS), I'm not sure I would benefit from any accuracy improvement.

My motivation for this thread isn't to debate the source of BCM parts, just to give my feedback on this particular lightweight KISS configuration. With the countless configurations now available, I think it's difficult for many new to the AR game to figure out what they should go with. Hopefully my commentary here will provide some useful insight.

Without a doubt the AR platform does many things well, but after decades of trying different configurations (20" A2 HBAR, 16" A2 7.62X39 carbine, 16" A2 5.56 carbine, 16" RECCE), I think the rifle described in this thread truly represents for me the platform at its best; small, light, accurate, reliable and a pleasure to shoot.

Another point I would like to make (if anyone reading this is interested) is that I've found I prefer standard, 2-piece handguards over a railed handguard. I have small hands and I find the Magpul MOE handguards fit my hands better and are far more comfortable to hold on to. I also like the durability of the standard FSB, especially on a rifle that uses iron sights as the primary sighting system.

To further improve on the rifle's "carryability" and handling, I am adding a mount-and-slot QD fitting to the handguard for the front connection point for my VCAS sling (ditching the GGG Sling Thing) and a Magpul B.A.D. Lever.

After some consideration, my Aimpoint CompC3 will remain on my Krebs but I am saving my lunch money for an Aimpoint H1 2 MOA on a LaRue LT751 mount that will keep total rifle weight south of the 7 pound mark. I'm going with absolute co-witness because my eyesight sucks and using the rear aperture will help keep the red dot from blooming into a comet streak (like it does with the Comp C3). I understand I will sacrifice some speed on target acquisition doing it this way, but being able to see the dot as a dot will be a huge benefit in my case (otherwise I wouldn't bother with a RDS at all). So in summary, I will be using the RDS to supplement and to be used in conjunction with the irons. Right or wrong, after experimenting with different sighting arrangements, this is what works best for me at this point.

This site is loaded with a lot of great info from very knowledgeable people. While I'll admit I often do things a bit different, the insight from those who post here that helps me decide what works best for me. Thanks again to all for sharing the knowledge - I will try to do the same with what little I have to offer.

jet80tv
03-05-12, 08:49
I considered the BFH version of this upper but decided to go with the "standard" the version. I doubt I'll ever put enough rounds through it to benefit from any increased life and for a 14.5 inch carbine with iron sights (or maybe a micro RDS), I'm not sure I would benefit from any accuracy improvement.

My motivation for this thread isn't to debate the source of BCM parts, just to give my feedback on this particular lightweight KISS configuration. With the countless configurations now available, I think it's difficult for many new to the AR game to figure out what they should go with. Hopefully my commentary here will provide some useful insight.

Without a doubt the AR platform does many things well, but after decades of trying different configurations (20" A2 HBAR, 16" A2 7.62X39 carbine, 16" A2 5.56 carbine, 16" RECCE), I think the rifle described in this thread truly represents for me the platform at its best; small, light, accurate, reliable and a pleasure to shoot.

Another point I would like to make (if anyone reading this is interested) is that I've found I prefer standard, 2-piece handguards over a railed handguard. I have small hands and I find the Magpul MOE handguards fit my hands better and are far more comfortable to hold on to. I also like the durability of the standard FSB, especially on a rifle that uses iron sights as the primary sighting system.

To further improve on the rifle's "carryability" and handling, I am adding a mount-and-slot QD fitting to the handguard for the front connection point for my VCAS sling (ditching the GGG Sling Thing) and a Magpul B.A.D. Lever.

After some consideration, my Aimpoint CompC3 will remain on my Krebs but I am saving my lunch money for an Aimpoint H1 2 MOA on a LaRue LT751 mount that will keep total rifle weight south of the 7 pound mark. I'm going with absolute co-witness because my eyesight sucks and using the rear aperture will help keep the red dot from blooming into a comet streak (like it does with the Comp C3). I understand I will sacrifice some speed on target acquisition doing it this way, but being able to see the dot as a dot will be a huge benefit in my case (otherwise I wouldn't bother with a RDS at all). So in summary, I will be using the RDS to supplement and to be used in conjunction with the irons. Right or wrong, after experimenting with different sighting arrangements, this is what works best for me at this point.

This site is loaded with a lot of great info from very knowledgeable people. While I'll admit I often do things a bit different, the insight from those who post here that helps me decide what works best for me. Thanks again to all for sharing the knowledge - I will try to do the same with what little I have to offer.

No offense. I was just joking mostly to get some BCM panties in a bunch(afterall someone else implied they used substandard parts). I'm sure you have a great upper and I sincerely doubt they use ER shaw barrels(eeewww)that would put them on par with the likes if YHM. I would have bought one of their chf barrels for either one of my builds if they were less than $299 stripped, I got my DD chf w/FSB for $265 and my ST/FN for $199 stripped. I have been thinking of getting a BCM BFH or standard middy upper though.

Canonshooter
03-05-12, 09:19
No offense. I was just joking mostly to get some BCM panties in a bunch(afterall someone else implied they used substandard parts).

Non taken.

No doubt folks are pretty passionate about this stuff here, and that's fine with me - it's good info to know and to consider.

My upper came with a reprint of the Filthy 14 article. I don't think I have fired 31k rounds in the entire 30+ years that I've been into the shooting sports! It was an interesting read nonetheless....

FWIW, my lower still says Bushmaster on it. At this point in the game (with the parts I've changed/added to it), I'm not losing any sleep over it.

jet80tv
03-05-12, 09:27
Non taken.

No doubt folks are pretty passionate about this stuff here, and that's fine with me - it's good info to know and to consider.

My upper came with a reprint of the Filthy 14 article. I don't think I have fired 31k rounds in the entire 30+ years that I've been into the shooting sports! It was an interesting read nonetheless....

FWIW, my lower still says Bushmaster on it. At this point in the game (with the parts I've changed/added to it), I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I wouldn't be concerned about the bushy lower, they're all(except billet)made of the same material and you've replaced parts with quality. One of my lowers is DPMS and the fit and finish is fine, DD lpk and moe parts makes it gtg. Besides atleast you have a cool rattlesnake on there. The bushmaster lower may be appealing enough for some fudd out there to buy it and you could get a BCM but I wouldn't sweat it. A home invader is not gonna care what the roll mark is!;)

polymorpheous
03-05-12, 09:59
No offense. I was just joking mostly to get some BCM panties in a bunch(afterall someone else implied they used substandard parts). I'm sure you have a great upper and I sincerely doubt they use ER shaw barrels(eeewww)that would put them on par with the likes if YHM. I would have bought one of their chf barrels for either one of my builds if they were less than $299 stripped, I got my DD chf w/FSB for $265 and my ST/FN for $199 stripped. I have been thinking of getting a BCM BFH or standard middy upper though.

I get it.
You are a troll.
Until you can actually contribute to a thread I suggest you read more and post way less.

OP: How much does your new boomstick weight?

Iraqgunz
03-05-12, 10:29
Let's knock off the bullshit and keep this thread on track. You know who you are.

Canonshooter
03-05-12, 10:34
I get it.
OP: How much does your new boomstick weight?

6 pounds 8.4 ounces unloaded/no mag.

polymorpheous
03-05-12, 10:37

Nice.
Definitely looking at this upper for my girlfriend.

JSantoro
03-05-12, 11:09
I was just joking mostly to get some BCM panties in a bunch .

Most kind of you to publicly confess that you did it intentionally....

https://www.m4carbine.net/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item

6) Trolling – Posting comments with the purpose to start conflicts with members, libel persons or groups, or to disrupt the overall running of the forum will not be allowed.

wingspar
03-05-12, 12:54
Any chance that you took a photo of the upper as you received it before installing it?

Pog926
03-05-12, 14:10
I also like the feel of the Magpul handguards and have a set on my LMT upper. Have you held the Troy Extreme or Apex handguards? I have a couple of the Extremes and they are very comfortable and and you can place an accessory exactly where you want without the extra weight or bulk. I initially got them for my wife and decided she couldn't have a nicer rifle than me.

Canonshooter
03-05-12, 14:18
Any chance that you took a photo of the upper as you received it before installing it?

I did not. Anything specifically you need to know?

It came well wrapped, well oiled and minus handguards, BCG and CH.

Canonshooter
03-05-12, 14:29
Have you held the Troy Extreme or Apex handguards?

I have not. But since I do not plan on mounting anything to the handguards*, I did not consider them.

*I am installing a slot-and-mount QD socket in the MOE handguard - my next goal is to get my VCAS sling set up on this rifle.

wingspar
03-05-12, 17:34
I did not. Anything specifically you need to know?

It came well wrapped, well oiled and minus handguards, BCG and CH.

Since I posted, I found a video of someone unboxing their BCM upper. I was pretty sure the hand guard did not come with it, but I was curious if the BCG and CH were part of the upper or not. They were in his box, but he must have ordered them separately. I’m new to the AR platform, and just trying to understand what I need in order to put together a simple build should I decide to go that way. Thanks for the response.

GeorgiaBoy
03-05-12, 17:58

Mine was 6 pounds, 3.6 ounces. :p

Either my or your scales must be wrong. I don't think the DD sight makes a 5 ounces difference.

northern1
03-06-12, 02:15
Since I posted, I found a video of someone unboxing their BCM upper. I was pretty sure the hand guard did not come with it, but I was curious if the BCG and CH were part of the upper or not. They were in his box, but he must have ordered them separately. I’m new to the AR platform, and just trying to understand what I need in order to put together a simple build should I decide to go that way. Thanks for the response.

They're stripped uppers. Hand guards, BCG, CH and rear sight not included.

wingspar
03-06-12, 02:21
They're stripped uppers. Hand guards, BCG, CH and rear sight not included.

Thanks for the info. I wasn’t even thinking about the rear sight. Now I think I’m armed with enough info to price a complete upper from BCM.

northern1
03-06-12, 02:27
They do sell uppers paired with different rails from different manufacturers as well. Lots of options on their site. I had a pleasant buying experience over there.

polymorpheous
03-06-12, 03:08
It is not a stripped upper.
It comes as a barreled upper with gas tube, delta ring assembly, and muzzle device installed.

A stripped upper is just an upper receiver.
No barrel assembly.
No ejection port cover or forward assist.

Canonshooter
03-06-12, 07:50
Mine was 6 pounds, 3.6 ounces. :p

Either my or your scales must be wrong. I don't think the DD sight makes a 5 ounces difference.

The LaRue sight is one ounce heavier (LaRue = 2.8 ounces), and is the CTR stock is about an ounce heavier than the MOE.

Are you running a H buffer?

Beyond that, the remaining difference can only be in the lower itself.

Weight break-down on mine;

lower = 2 pounds 6 ounces
upper = 4 pounds 2.6 ounces

GeorgiaBoy
03-06-12, 10:15
The LaRue sight is one ounce heavier (LaRue = 2.8 ounces), and is the CTR stock is about an ounce heavier than the MOE.

Are you running a H buffer?

Beyond that, the remaining difference can only be in the lower itself.

Weight break-down on mine;

lower = 2 pounds 6 ounces
upper = 4 pounds 2.6 ounces

Yes, H buffer. I'll weigh the upper and lower separately tonight.

wingspar
03-06-12, 10:51
It is not a stripped upper.
It comes as a barreled upper with gas tube, delta ring assembly, and muzzle device installed.

A stripped upper is just an upper receiver.
No barrel assembly.
No ejection port cover or forward assist.

I can see from the description on the BCM site and the videos I’ve seen that it comes as a barreled upper with gas tube, delta ring assembly, and muzzle device installed. I didn’t know any better than to know whether that was called a stripped upper or not. Since it does not include the BCG, CH and fore grip, would it not be a complete upper? I see on the BCM site, what the OP got was listed as a Upper Receiver Group. After more looking at the BCM site, it looks like upper receiver groups never include the BCG, or CH. Would I be correct there?

Gargoyle
03-06-12, 13:09
I feel and smell your joy...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc313/Belt_Fed_Red/2012-03-06_13-07-54_62.jpg

duece71
03-06-12, 14:03
Nice rifle OP, looks like one of mine, except I have the LW 16 BFH midlength. Enjoy.

GeorgiaBoy
03-06-12, 18:57
I can see from the description on the BCM site and the videos I’ve seen that it comes as a barreled upper with gas tube, delta ring assembly, and muzzle device installed. I didn’t know any better than to know whether that was called a stripped upper or not. Since it does not include the BCG, CH and fore grip, would it not be a complete upper? I see on the BCM site, what the OP got was listed as a Upper Receiver Group. After more looking at the BCM site, it looks like upper receiver groups never include the BCG, or CH. Would I be correct there?

ALL of the uppers BCM sells on their website labeled as "upper receiver groups" do NOT include a Bolt carrier group, a charging handle, or handguards (Unless a rail has already been installed on the upper). To get a BCG, carry handle, and forearm you need to order it as well.

wingspar
03-06-12, 19:10
ALL of the uppers BCM sells on their website labeled as "upper receiver groups" do NOT include a Bolt carrier group, a charging handle, or handguards (Unless a rail has already been installed on the upper). To get a BCG, carry handle, and forearm you need to order it as well.

Thanks for the clarification. That is how I was interpreting it. I now know enough about the uppers to order what I need should I change my mind on the 6920 due to the almost nonexistent supply.

A couple of weeks ago building seemed like nothing I’d ever tackle, but I’m starting to understand if I order the correct assemblies, putting it together would be no more difficult than field stripping, and putting it back together.