View Full Version : Navy Fires off it's New Weaponized Railgun

An Undocumented Worker
03-01-12, 22:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uV1SbEuzFU&feature=player_embedded

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/02/railgun-real-gun/

Danger Room What's Next in National Security Previous post Next post 56
inShare.
Video: Navy Fires Off Its New Weaponized Railgun
By Spencer Ackerman Email Author February 28, 2012 | 3:46 pm | Categories: Navy, Weapons and Ammo
| Edit

The Navy has spent seven years testing out the components of a way-futuristic weapon: a shipboard cannon that blasts bullets over vast distances at hypersonic speeds using bursts of electricity. But so far, that weapon, known as the Electromagnetic Railgun, has been more of a lab experiment than an honest-to-God weapon. It didn’t even have basic gun-like features, like a barrel. Now, however, the Navy is unveiling the first actual railgun guns, which it’ll test for another five years, in the hope of winning over legislators who consider it a waste of time, money and electricity.

The Navy released video of the first tests, viewable above, on Tuesday. The dramatic mini-inferno in the wake of the slug fired from the railgun is the result of “1 million amps flowing through” the gun, said test chief Tom Boucher, the hypersonic speed of the shot, and the actual aluminum of the bullet — “reactive in the atmosphere” — burning off.
read the whole story at the link

C-grunt
03-02-12, 12:21
I've been kinda following the rail gun for a long time. One thing I've never been able to find out is what is the slug weight and muzzle velocity?

When I graduated from basic I got stuck in the Land Warrior project for awhile. One of the guys that I worked with was on the rail gun project for a few years and told me the problem was the rails melting and fusing together.

kwelz
03-02-12, 12:42
The ammo looks strange. Wouldn't a more traditional shaped round make more sense?

ForTehNguyen
03-02-12, 12:55
doubt its an optimized round but it looks like they were shooting a car piston and a connecting rod lol

dookie1481
03-02-12, 15:21
One of the guys that I worked with was on the rail gun project for a few years and told me the problem was the rails melting and fusing together.

I think that and the lack of high-temp superconductors have been the biggest obstacles, from what I have read.

Pk14
03-02-12, 17:01
The railgun is definitely a departure from conventional Naval guns and requires an entire new system to support it (electrical management, physical component integration, targeting, and Fires management, to name a few). The work done to date is very impressive, particularly when you think about that much juice being discharged across a small gap between two metallic rails (on a metal ship floating in the water) with a GPS enabled round riding a sacrificial armature to accelerate to 7.5x the speed of sound, fly exospheric, and lad up to 250 miles away with a 5 minute time of flight. NSFS can once again become a relevant force multiplier.

Here's a picture of Plate #7 of 10 1/2" armored plates from a test shot a few years ago (~ 10 MJ shot). The slug went right through all ten plates and into a water trap. At the speeds the slug is traveling, you really don't need any HE. A 7.5M slug will mess up a pillbox / bunker just fine.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q43/Pk14_photos/Railgunshotplateweb.jpg

God bless the assholes with pocket protectors... and that they work for us!

Cheers,
Pk