PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong? Glock, M&P

packinaglock
03-02-12, 08:24
Ok, I've owned Glocks for years still have seven and love em. In the past six months I've picked up a M&P .40c and an M&P 9c. When I go to the range I usually shoot 9's one time then .40's the next. With the Glocks it is buisness as usual, but twice now once with the 9c and once with the .40c I have been shooting and it seems like the weapon will fire twice when I only pull once. It happened very fast and I get a WTF moment. If it only happend to one gun I might tend to think it was the gun, but both It must be something I'm doing wrong. I really like these M&P's, maybe I shouldn't shoot them when I'm also shooting my Glocks? I may be used to doing something while pulling the trigger on my Glocks that is a no no for M&P's? Has anyone else experenced this? I figured this was the best forum to post this as it seems pretty evenly full of both Glock & M&P fans.
Thanks in advance
Dave

J_Dub_503
03-02-12, 10:27
Could you describe what's happening, I'm not sure I fully understand. Does it feel like you're getting two recoil impulses from one pull of the trigger?

rjacobs
03-02-12, 10:31
Ive never had one of my 5 M&Ps double on me either with stock parts or APEX parts in many 10s' of thousands of combined rounds. I have also never heard of it happening(doesnt mean it hasnt, cant, or wont).

I am sure Grant or Randy will be along shortly to add their 2c.

packinaglock
03-02-12, 11:47
It only happened once each with each pistol out of maybe 200 rounds each. I suspect since I'm so used to shooting Glocks that I may not be returning the trigger quite all the way to where it needs to be and a slite move of my finger makes it fire again. It's hard to explain because it has only happened twice and catches me off guard. I fire at point of aim then in a split second before I can get the sights back to the bullseye it fires. Could it have to do with this trigger reset I keep hearing about? I'm 50 now and started shooting at around 10 years old so I'm not a novice, just too damn dumb to figure out what I'm doing wrong in that split second.

J_Dub_503
03-02-12, 11:51
If you have the capability, set up a video camera next time you go shooting (even a cell phone video would be better than nothing). If it happens again you can review it and see whats occurring.

Jim D
03-02-12, 12:05
I forget the exact terminology, but basically this is what it sounds like is happening (seen it before as an RO)... maybe it's not, but it's my guess.

If you press the trigger kinda lightly, as in not firmly holding it to the rear, and the gun has a short reset and light break, then while it's in recoil, the pistol moves rearward more than your trigger finger follows it, compressing the flesh in your hand and resetting the trigger, time elapses and the rearward force subsides... your flesh rebounds and pushes the gun forward... and you have this perfect storm where the gun kinda rebounds into your finger like an unintentional bump fire.

I've seen it maybe a handful of times, with some AR's with insane trigger jobs, and a 1911.

I saw it happen once to a kid with a double action revolver (.44mag or .500S&W) , but that one had more of a startle response and he re-tightened his grip down once that thing recoiled like a beast, but the trigger had already reset before he clamped down on it... with his whole hand. Getting a double with a caliber that large tends to be a bit of a rush. He took a break after that one so his eyes could shrink back down to normal size.

J_Dub_503
03-02-12, 13:30
I saw it happen once to a kid with a double action revolver (.44mag or .500S&W) , but that one had more of a startle response and he re-tightened his grip down once that thing recoiled like a beast, but the trigger had already reset before he clamped down on it... with his whole hand. Getting a double with a caliber that large tends to be a bit of a rush. He took a break after that one so his eyes could shrink back down to normal size.

This damn near made me piss myself from laughter, if only you got that on video. I once saw a guy do this with a .454 Casull. You would've thought the man was shooting a shoulder fired rail gun by the look on his face...Shear Terror! It looked like an adrenaline rush but personally, I'm not a big fan of bump-firing revolvers :no:

Animal_Mother556
03-02-12, 13:38
Hmmmm...you say it happened fast. How fast? Was it immediate, like POW!POW! so you couldn't really hear a pause between shots?

Or are we talking like POW!....POW! with a lull betwixed the shots?

Are you practicing good follow through with your trigger pull? Holding the trigger back for that brief moment before letting out to reset?

packinaglock
03-02-12, 14:40
Hmmmm...you say it happened fast. How fast? Was it immediate, like POW!POW! so you couldn't really hear a pause between shots?

Or are we talking like POW!....POW! with a lull betwixed the shots?

Are you practicing good follow through with your trigger pull? Holding the trigger back for that brief moment before letting out to reset?

It seemed like a POW!POW! from what I remember, kind of like a blink of the eyes lull. As for practicing good follow through, I'm not sure, I guess I never really thought about it. (I guess I should)

Animal_Mother556
03-02-12, 15:18
I don't know if that is what the problem is, or not. It sounds like you are just BARELY getting the gun to go off, then your finger resets the trigger right away (due to recoil moving the gun).

There should be a deliberate and total SQUEEEEEEZE of the trigger...doesn't mean you have to slap it, but you know what I mean.

packinaglock
03-02-12, 16:57
I don't know if that is what the problem is, or not. It sounds like you are just BARELY getting the gun to go off, then your finger resets the trigger right away (due to recoil moving the gun).

There should be a deliberate and total SQUEEEEEEZE of the trigger...doesn't mean you have to slap it, but you know what I mean.

True, I may be pulling to easy so as not to pull the sights off target.

DocDorle
03-03-12, 06:57
It sounds like you're bump firing the second shot.

Petrov
03-03-12, 09:11
I forget the exact terminology, but basically this is what it sounds like is happening (seen it before as an RO)... maybe it's not, but it's my guess.

If you press the trigger kinda lightly, as in not firmly holding it to the rear, and the gun has a short reset and light break, then while it's in recoil, the pistol moves rearward more than your trigger finger follows it, compressing the flesh in your hand and resetting the trigger, time elapses and the rearward force subsides... your flesh rebounds and pushes the gun forward... and you have this perfect storm where the gun kinda rebounds into your finger like an unintentional bump fire.

I've seen it maybe a handful of times, with some AR's with insane trigger jobs, and a 1911.

Probably this, I accidentally made me CZ PCR go full auto due to the grip in a pistol class.

RagweedZulu
03-03-12, 12:38

I'm betting this is what's happening to you OP. I see it often on the LE range. Tighten your grip and use a deliberate, smooth trigger press and I bet you never see the problem again.

Street Dog
03-03-12, 15:34
Packin, like the others have said, what is happening is an unintentional bump fire. I had this happen to me as well during my brief and expensive experiment with the M&P. It had never happened before with any other pistol.
Take Ragweedzulu's advice, and that should cure the problem.

packinaglock
03-03-12, 17:19
Packin, like the others have said, what is happening is an unintentional bump fire. I had this happen to me as well during my brief and expensive experiment with the M&P. It had never happened before with any other pistol.
Take Ragweedzulu's advice, and that should cure the problem.

It sure does sound like thats what is happening, the strange thing is I have 25 year construction hands and have been lifting weights since I was 15. I usually have a death grip on my guns & have had people complain about my handshakes. Anything is possible though.

packinaglock
03-03-12, 19:11
I'm betting this is what's happening to you OP. I see it often on the LE range. Tighten your grip and use a deliberate, smooth trigger press and I bet you never see the problem again.

This I'll have to try, because thinking about it I may have been trying to practice double taps and was just to light on the trigger for the M&P's. I'm not real familier with the Apex trigger kit, does this make it more Glock like?