PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions: Gun for non-shooting "mamma bear"

El Cid
03-02-12, 12:16
Okay, so my mom now lives alone (dad passed a few years ago) and for the time being a dog is not an option. There is a good alarm on the residence and the police response isn't slow. That said, I'm looking to get some kind of defensive firearm for her.

My dilemma lies in that she has never fired a gun before. I have no doubt she will do so to protect her grand kids/self, but I've been struggling with this for some time. She's in her 60's and mobility isn't a concern. I'm looking for something that follows the KISS principles and figure I can't be the first person to have this concern.

Some of the options I've thought about:
- Double bbl shotgun
-- Pros: Simple (especially with external hammers), Effective; Can lay it across the bed pointed at the doorway
-- Neg: Two shots is all and slow to reload; Recoil
- Snubnose 38Spl hammerless
-- Pros: It's a wheelgun. Press the trigger and that's it. Small and light enough she might keep it on her person
-- Neg: Small, short sight radius, only 5 or 6 shots
- Med frame 44Spl
-- Pros: Easier to handle, larger bore
-- Neg: Not sure how the recoil is on 44Spl ammo

I really don't think any semi-auto is an appropriate choice because she would not be likely to successfully perform remediation under stress. I am confident in saying she won't practice with whatever I get her. There will be a fam-fire initially, but I don't see her training or going to the range with it. That to me is another reason to stick with a wheelgun or dbl bbl shotty - they will work after sitting in a drawer for years.

I really like the M&P revolver line that come with the Big Dot front sight and "U" notch rear.

Would love to hear suggestions and ideas. This isn't about tactics. I'll make sure she knows how/when to employ it. I'm just looking for advice on the firearm itself.

Thanks!

Irish
03-02-12, 16:36
The snubnose revolver is a horrible choice for a myriad of reasons. It requires lots of practice, the recoil sucks and it's difficult to get hits on target even for the average gun guy.

Why not get her something like the S&W 686 plus with a 4" barrel which holds 7 rounds and can be shot with either .357 or .38 Special? I don't shoot a lot of revolvers, I own a 642, but it looks like a much better option than a snub to me.

You may also want to look into a set of Crimson Trace laser grips since, as you stated, she won't be practicing with it.

Sry0fcr
03-02-12, 17:49
Consider having her move in with you and yours if you're that concerned. She's not going to be armed just by having a gun in the house. Showing her not to look down the barrel isn't "making sure she knows how to use it".

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-03-12, 00:15
Honestly, and I dont aim to offend here, but you dont know enough about the firearms you are recommending to be recommending them to your mother.

An elderly woman couldnt shoot a DA J Frame very well at all, shit, I cant shoot my J Frame very well. A .44 Special or a Double Barrel Shotgun? Is she going to go to the range and actually practice reloading under stress, or even just firing more than a few rounds before she gets sore or tired?

A firearm to someone who wotn or cant use it means nothing. Security is the first line. Doors, windows, alarms. If she doesnt have a good security system, then a firearm may do her no good.

Eurodriver
03-03-12, 00:47
Honestly, and I dont aim to offend here, but you dont know enough about the firearms you are recommending to be recommending them to your mother.

An elderly woman couldnt shoot a DA J Frame very well at all, shit, I cant shoot my J Frame very well. A .44 Special or a Double Barrel Shotgun? Is she going to go to the range and actually practice reloading under stress, or even just firing more than a few rounds before she gets sore or tired?

A firearm to someone who wotn or cant use it means nothing. Security is the first line. Doors, windows, alarms. If she doesnt have a good security system, then a firearm may do her no good.

Precisely.

What is wrong with a fullsize Glock 17? It functions just as simply as a revolver (Pull the trigger and it goes bang. No safety or decocker) except with 3x the capacity.

If you are dead set on a revolver why are you going with a hammerless carry piece? This is a home defense gun, size doesn't matter. Get her something big that will absorb recoil and isn't going to scare her when she pulls the trigger.

Irish
03-03-12, 00:56
My thoughts as well.

An elderly woman couldnt shoot a DA J Frame very well at all, shit, I cant shoot my J Frame very well. A .44 Special or a Double Barrel Shotgun?
I couldn't agree more with the above and I haven't even seen you shoot a J frame. All in good fun! ;)

Is she going to go to the range and actually practice reloading under stress, or even just firing more than a few rounds before she gets sore or tired?
I'm with you on the security first aspect as well. However, I'm going to go against the grain and say that a firearm in the home, as long as she knows the very basics, is a good idea. I'm pretty well entrenched in reading self defense shootings in the news every single day and have been doing so for quite a few years now. The vast majority of people using firearms in self defense in their home rarely, if ever, practice, never have to reload, are often the elderly, they're home all the time, and typically the matter is resolved in less than 3 rounds being fired.

Don't misconstrue what I'm saying and think I'm not advocating training, I'm definely not. However, not everyone who owns a firearm needs to attend a LAV class and practice their reloads and malfunction clearances to be proficient enough to defend themselves inside their home against invaders.

My opinion is that the people, speaking Joe Citizen here, who train the most with firearms are the least likely to ever have to use one. The reason being is they typically have better home security precautions, typically have a higher sense of situational awareness and are in fact negating the hours they've spent mastering their weapon by being less complacent.

I agree with what you're saying and if you're able-bodied and mentally competent than get proper, professional training and especially if you're going to be carrying concealed. But if you're an elderly person who's scared than purchase an easy to use, reliable firearm and get some basic training in it's operation. The odds aren't very good it'll ever be used in the first place but I know older folks who derive a lot of peace of mind from having some form of protection in their home.

Irish
03-03-12, 01:05
What is wrong with a fullsize Glock 17? It functions just as simply as a revolver (Pull the trigger and it goes bang. No safety or decocker) except with 3x the capacity.

I don't think a Glock 17 is a good recommendation for a 60 year old woman who's never shot a gun before. A semi-auto is more complicated than a revolver and I'm sure she won't be as comfortable with it. The magazines are difficult to load to capacity. The slide will be difficult, if not impossible, for her to manipulate and if she has a malfunction more than likely she won't be able to clear it due to being in an incredibly stressful situation.

Think of your elderly grandmother, someone's breaking into her house, she's terrified and what's going to be easier to operate, a S&W K-frame or a G17? How about a revolver where she can keep pulling the trigger til it goes bang instead of a semi-auto that's gonna be goat****ed from her lack of experience and inability to operate it properly.

Just my thoughts... I might be out on a limb with this one but I really don't think so. Grandma already has a good alarm system so I'd get her a big dog before I'd go with the firearm but the OP said it isn't an option. Dogs are probably the best deterrance you can get in terms of home security. Nobody, even criminals, likes to get bit by a barking territorial dog.

Redmanfms
03-03-12, 02:38
If you don't think you can teach your mother to deal with malfunctions on an autoloader, I recommend you just not buy her a firearm. If she doesn't have the hand strength to operate the slide, she'll likely have problems even shooting a DA revolver. A double barrel shotgun is just a plain terrible idea.

If you don't see her practicing with it, don't get her a firearm.

Since she already has a "good" alarm system (I'm guessing/hoping with subscriber monitoring service), put a stout solid core door with dead bolt on her bedroom.

El Cid
03-03-12, 06:53
Well for starters a 60 something woman is hardly elderly. She has the hand strength and coordination to work a semi-auto pistol just fine. My focus on revolvers is due to seeing what happens when a shooter encounters a malfunction and doesn't have the muscle memory to address it - especially under stress. She has no trouble with DA revolver triggers. I've had her dry fire my snubby and she did so without issue.

She is quite familiar with firearms and how to handle them. She has been around them for years. She simply doesn't have a desire to go to the range. As Irish aptly stated, most gun owners don't shoot. They buy a gun, put part of a box through it and leave it in a drawer. This is the driving force behind the revolver. It's simple. If the first trigger press doesn't get the desired result... Do it again. I would recommend a revolver to a 20 something who just wants a gun for HD and isn't going to train or practice.

When I initially stated this isn't a discussion about tactics, that included things like hardening the home and having her move in with me (not an option anyway). I'm looking specifically for recommendations of the kind of firearm you'd get for your mom if you were going to do so. And saying you wouldn't get her one isn't an answer either. Please stay on topic.

I did look at Smith's site and realized I misstated about the M&P revolver line being my focus. It's actually the Nightguard line with the 8 shot 357 (would be loaded with 38's) and the 44 (would have 44 Spl ammo). I thought they were all in the M&P line.

My list of weapons in the initial post were part of brainstorming. I'm hoping to get a conversation going about the best firearm for the situation. Don't over think it or presume that the rest of her physical security is in need of any help. It's not.

Thanks!

Irish
03-03-12, 08:45
If you don't think you can teach your mother to deal with malfunctions on an autoloader, I recommend you just not buy her a firearm. If she doesn't have the hand strength to operate the slide, she'll likely have problems even shooting a DA revolver. A double barrel shotgun is just a plain terrible idea.

If you don't see her practicing with it, don't get her a firearm.
You've obviously not spent much time working with smaller framed or elderly women in terms of being new to shooting and operating a slide. I've seen multiple women struggle and give up trying to use a slide operated semi-auto in my time shooting. Hand strength is major issue for most women, period. A DA revolver and just pulling the trigger is far more suitable for her situation than trying to teach her the various malfunctions and how to remedy them. How many percentage wise of millions of gun owners don't practice? The vast majority and I'll leave it at that.

Well for starters a 60 something woman is hardly elderly.
Don't be offended by the proper word used to describe your mother. Elderly isn't a slanderous term, nor is it meant to be derogatory.

elderly (adj) - Dictionary
eldˇerˇly [ éldərlee ]
1.past middle age: past middle age and approaching the later stages of life
2.characteristic of life after middle age: characteristic of or relating to life after middle age

I was going to debate this further but it's pointless. I've expressed my opinion and it's not going to change. Worse comes to worse buy her a .22 for her to use. Minimal recoil for easy follow up shots and a lot less weight and noise. A .22 isn't the best option but they work on bad guys all the time and it's a lot better than nothing.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
03-03-12, 12:58
Anecdote time: My mom is pretty anti-gun. I let her keep my old snubnose .38 when I moved away. She keeps it locked in the basement in the safe. She makes very good money, and lives in an opulent neighborhood, so she assumes she simply wont be the victim of a crime. She also has the mentaility of "hasnt happened yet, so why should I worry". It scares the life out of me, but I can not get her to worry about here safety. Having a gun in the house in this case will do her no good, luckily she does have a big solid oak door, locked windows, and a security system. That is basically her first and last line of defense.

Anecdote time is over, as I feel Ive made my point. On to firearm recommendations:

I would not recommend:
Revolvers with heavy trigger pulls and/or revolvers that shoot powerful calibers.

Autos. Ive seen many women have trouble with racking the slide, even with some practice.

Shotgun: Its long, heavy, and cumbersome for an older woman who wont ever practice with it. Recoil, flash, and sound will be intense at o'dark thirty in a bedroom.

I would recommend:
A SW 686 with .38spl. So smooth, easy to use and aim, and cuts down on alot of recoil.

.22Magnum revolvers along the same line as the 686.

Jake'sDad
03-03-12, 22:28
The J or K frame round butt, with a good DA trigger job, and loaded with factory match wadcutters, has been my go to gun for non shooters for 30+ years. I've lost count of how many small and/or elderly women I've taught to reliably, and reasonably quickly, make center mass shots at 15-20 feet with them, in a couple of range sessions. I still get asked to take some of them for their semi yearly rare shooting session, and they usually have retained enough to work the gun and still make those hits. Those guns that sit loaded year after year always work too.

If you can get your Mother to put the time in to learn to safely run an auto great! But having 5 or 6 shots of .38 ready to go beats an empty chamber and a magazine many of them will keep separate from the auto they're afraid of, and don't really understand. I see lots of guy's wives at the range, fumbling around with the auto they kid themselves she's competent with.

I'm not talking about motivated interested students. I've taught plenty of them to run autos. I'm talking about a mainly disinterested person, who does want something in the house for protection, and has decent motor skills. There is a middle ground here between a Glock 17 with extra mags and a tac light, and nothing.

A J frame .22, or better .22 Mag with the new Speer or Hornady ammo would be a great choice, if you can get the DA trigger worked so it's manageable. They're usually too stiff. Apex was supposedly trying to do something with them.

Jake'sDad
03-03-12, 22:37
I would recommend:
A SW 686 with .38spl. So smooth, easy to use and aim, and cuts down on alot of recoil.

While an L frame is certainly easier on recoil, the additional weight is harder for some to hold up for more than a few seconds. Factory match wadcutters don't kick much, even in a J frame, and they work better for defense than many self defense specific rounds. I've had some that even did well with them in Airweight guns. I also like 2-3" barrels. Easier for them to slip into a robe pocket when they hear a bump in the night while watching TV.

a0cake
03-03-12, 22:42
Seems to me that a compact lever action in either .44 or .357 could be a good choice. Hit probability is increased over a revolver, but the obvious downside is that she'll need to rack the lever between shots if that becomes necessary. Just another option to consider.

El Cid
03-04-12, 19:03
Thanks guys. I'll have her shoot my snub and my 625 next time I'm home and see how she does. As for the lever action I don't know that I would be able to run one well. What's the manual of arms for remediation with a lever rifle?

Oh and Irish, I didn't take offense. I just associate elderly with my 85 year old grandma. I think of people whose advanced age is impacting their freedom and mobility. Might also be a side effect of life in FL. We have lots of older than dirt folks running around here in oversize automobiles.

NWPilgrim
03-04-12, 20:14
I would recommend a mid-size revolver loaded with .38. I have had a 3" GP100 and now have a 4" K-frame Model 67 and they have been the favorites of the women in my family. They do not like the slide on a semi auto, but can operate the DA trigger on a revolver fine.

I also agree with Irish about the "better than nothing" aspect of owning a firearm even if doing minimal practice. Statistics show the vast majority (over 90% IIRC) of firearms related self defense situations are resolved without firing a shot, and many times when one is used, no one is hit yet the attack is still deterred. I would also agree that a large portion of successful SD situations involve people with minimal firearms training. Not ideal but better than no firearm at all.

Obviously I favor have as much gun and ammo and training as practical to increase my odds, but I think it is better for your mother to at least have access to a gun in case she decides at some point she needs it.

I have seen few females not familiar with guns handle any long arms well at all. A guy seems to fit into the stock better but many women seems to find it awkward even if it is a short length of pull. A revolver seems to be kind of a universal gun for most, at least the people I have taken to the range or seen handle firearms.

Ghost__1
03-04-12, 20:29
I'm of firm belief that your set on what your going to do anyway as you are the only one who can assess your mother. However I would like to add that whatever you get put a laser on it. Mitigates the absolute need for a sight radius andimho is about the best deterrent besides a bullet at night when most bad things happen to good people. Its not end all be all by any means or mean that you won't have to shoot but it may work.

The_War_Wagon
03-04-12, 20:49
Giving guns to people who don't, won't, or can't bring themselves to TRAIN with them, much less use them in the hour of need, is a recipe for disaster. Sounds like mom has neither the head nor the heart to be wielding firearms.

It's disappointing, to be sure - and everyone here appreciates that you love your mom, BUT... you're simply better arming whatever bandit finally breaks into her house someday. They'll either kill HER with it, or someone down the road with it, once they gently remove it from her scared and shaky hands... assuming she hadn't dropped it first. :o

I'd make REAL certain she actually FIRES whatever you get her, to make SURE she knows what she's getting into, before you leave it with her...

Jake'sDad
03-04-12, 21:22
Lots of folks defended themselves with firearms, long before there were easily available classes. Not as successfully or safely, but it was done.

Many years ago, we had an elderly woman, (80+) kill a rapist in her home, with her long dead security guard husband's .38 S&W , (not special), that hadn't been unloaded in 25 years, and that she had never shot. He showed her how to hold it and pull the trigger, and that's what she did.

Not every person that's lacking a certificate from a recognized school, will just fold and provide a gun to their attacker.

NWPilgrim
03-05-12, 01:51
Yes if you bother to read the OP posts he states his mother is not afraid of guns, she has shot guns before and is familiar with them. She just is not likely to make regular trips to the range. That does not preclude dry fire practice at home in at least a rudimentary way. And I don't mean a half hour standing in front of the mirror practicing a fast draw. :D She can at least practice a few times holding it, sighting and pulling the trigger until she is confident she can do it.

Saying someone who does not shoot and train often might as well give their gun to the attacker is silly. Countless real life instances put the lie to that favorite anti-gun mentality. "Only trained professionals should be allowed to own guns!" Reminds me of "I am the only person in this room professional enough to handle a fortey...BOOM!"

I'll put my money on momma bear. Who knows she may decide to follow along to the range one day as long as she has the six shooter laying around.

MistWolf
03-05-12, 04:49
How about just taking her out shooting and let her decide what she likes?

I have seen far too many threads asking "What gun should I get for wife/girlfriend/sister/oldguy/newbie friend that really should have started out with "took so-and-so out shooting to let them decide what firearm they should use for self-defense and it turned out they really like shooting this..."

Stop asking. Start doing. Get up, borrow and/or rent some firearms, buy some ammo and get to work. It takes time and money and effort. Asking folks on the internet isn't a short cut to your answer.

When I shop for a firearm for my wife, the only person I ask what I should get her, is my wife. I picked mine. She gets to pick hers. It's work helping her through her choices but she'll shoot what she picks and let what I choose for her gather dust

El Cid
03-05-12, 10:18
How about just taking her out shooting and let her decide what she likes?

I have seen far too many threads asking "What gun should I get for wife/girlfriend/sister/oldguy/newbie friend that really should have started out with "took so-and-so out shooting to let them decide what firearm they should use for self-defense and it turned out they really like shooting this..."

Stop asking. Start doing. Get up, borrow and/or rent some firearms, buy some ammo and get to work. It takes time and money and effort. Asking folks on the internet isn't a short cut to your answer.

When I shop for a firearm for my wife, the only person I ask what I should get her, is my wife. I picked mine. She gets to pick hers. It's work helping her through her choices but she'll shoot what she picks and let what I choose for her gather dust

That is part of the plan. I want to narrow it down ahead of time, thus the request for suggestions. Not trying to shortcut anything. I've helped more than a couple women find/buy guns over the years and the fit of their hand to the weapon was paramount. I have no intention of dropping off a handgun and telling her to have at it. I'm trying to narrow it down by type/make/model/etc.

I certainly don't need a lecture. For you and anyone else who is overthinking this discussion... trust that I have the rest covered. From physical security of the home, security of the weapon, and making sure she understands how and when to use it. The SOLE purpose of this thread is the hardware side of the equation. Thank you for your non-productive post. I'd recommend you get off your soap box and either contribute to the topic, or move along.

Giving guns to people who don't, won't, or can't bring themselves to TRAIN with them, much less use them in the hour of need, is a recipe for disaster. Sounds like mom has neither the head nor the heart to be wielding firearms.

It's disappointing, to be sure - and everyone here appreciates that you love your mom, BUT... you're simply better arming whatever bandit finally breaks into her house someday. They'll either kill HER with it, or someone down the road with it, once they gently remove it from her scared and shaky hands... assuming she hadn't dropped it first. :o

I'd make REAL certain she actually FIRES whatever you get her, to make SURE she knows what she's getting into, before you leave it with her...

Wow. It amazes me that people either choose not to read the entire thread, or have issues with simple comprehension... she has both the heart and head for using a firearm to protect herself and others. I just stated that I know realistically (like most gun owners) she won't be practicing with it.

And your "the gun will get used against her" mantra sounds like something I'd expect to hear from the likes of Sara Brady or Diane Feinstein. Spare us your liberal drivel. If you don't have a specific recommendation for a make/model of firearm, then do us all a favor and back away from the keyboard.

For those of you staying on topic I do appreciate it. My main focus is on what frame size will be best. I have a J-frame and an N-frame for her to try. The local range that has rentals usually has a few different wheel guns available. The goal is to have enough gun to manage recoil, but not too much that it's heavy and awkward for her to manage.

The laser idea is intriguing... I don't normally recommend them to shooters who haven't mastered sighted fire. Has anyone seen a novice shooter use a laser successfully? Thanks!

MistWolf
03-05-12, 15:48
...Has anyone seen a novice shooter use a laser successfully? Thanks!

No, I have not. I myself tried a laser on a handgun and all it showed me was that it was impossible to hold it steady. Damn thing zigged and zagged all over the target! Very distracting. Decided it was much better to just focus on the sights.

If I came across as soapboxing earlier, so be it. I admit the post was fueled by the frustration of men deciding what pistol is best for the "little woman" without consulting her and the choice being nothing what she wanted to shoot. I have helped women pick handguns as well and their choices usually surprise me, like the petite gal who chose a 1911 Government model.

What I found works best is to start with a wide variety of handguns, not several similar pistols. For example, bring an S&W 686 with 38s, a snub nose J-frame, a full sized Glock, a Walther 22, a 1911 and a compact 9mm like a Lady Smith. Let her shoot each one and explain what she likes and dislikes about each one. Then start narrowing the choices

El Cid
03-05-12, 16:18
No, I have not. I myself tried a laser on a handgun and all it showed me was that it was impossible to hold it steady. Damn thing zigged and zagged all over the target! Very distracting. Decided it was much better to just focus on the sights.

If I came across as soapboxing earlier, so be it. I admit the post was fueled by the frustration of men deciding what pistol is best for the "little woman" without consulting her and the choice being nothing what she wanted to shoot. I have helped women pick handguns as well and their choices usually surprise me, like the petite gal who chose a 1911 Government model.

What I found works best is to start with a wide variety of handguns, not several similar pistols. For example, bring an S&W 686 with 38s, a snub nose J-frame, a full sized Glock, a Walther 22, a 1911 and a compact 9mm like a Lady Smith. Let her shoot each one and explain what she likes and dislikes about each one. Then start narrowing the choices

No worries bro - it's all good. I've witnessed the same thing and it is a frustrating thing to watch.

I like each of the choices you mention and if we were talking about my gf who wants to learn and practice, then by all means let her handle everything in the glass cases. But for my mom, I really don't think any semi-auto is a good idea. I've seen shooters who have a malfunction (during our local steel match and during training with sworn personnel) either stand there bewildered or have a complete helmet fire. They shoot more than my mom will. I think a gun where the "fix" is just pressing the trigger again is best. I will try to get her to shoot some of my pistols, if for no other reason than familiarity and trying to make it fun. Besides, anytime I'm home, there are semi-autos in the home, so her having shot them can only be a good thing.

As for the laser, we actually used them at the academy for just that purpose - demonstrating our wobble zone. If her eyes start to go I can see it helping her, but then you get into target ID issues.

For the 686's are there significant weight differences in the 6, 7, and 8 round variants? I'm hoping to find a J-frame with the 3" bbl to let her try, or even a decent used Colt Detective Spl (6 shot and steel if I recall).

WillBrink
03-05-12, 16:27
That is part of the plan. I want to narrow it down ahead of time, thus the request for suggestions.

As she's not planning to CCW it I'm assuming, weight/size is a good thing here I'm thinking. Something like an S&W 686 .357 4" that's loaded with modern .38. Very low recoil, wheel gun reliability, accurate, with adequate - albeit not great - terminal ballistics.

Could also go with the Ruger GP100 in the same role, but I prefer the 686 personally.

Obviously, as all have implied, time spent on basic skills with that gun important, but I'm in the camp, if other security layers are GTG (doors, locks, alarm, etc) a gun in the house is net + for an older women living alone.

WillBrink
03-05-12, 16:35
For the 686's are there significant weight differences in the 6, 7, and 8 round variants?

Significant no.

I'm hoping to find a J-frame with the 3" bbl to let her try, or even a decent used Colt Detective Spl (6 shot and steel if I recall).

If she's not going to CCW it, why bother with small guns that have higher recoil? It's not like she has to stand there with arms out stretched for long periods of time. I, and many others, like 1911, 686, because of their weight.

A full framed wheel gun firing lower .38 = very low recoil and high level of control for smaller shooters who may not take the time to be able to deal with recoil of J frame .38s or full sized.357s, etc.

Similar to 9mm, modern .38 is not your grandpa's .38. :cool:

MistWolf
03-05-12, 17:09
Just let her try each one. If manipulating a self loader will be a problem, it will make itself apparent immediately. If a small framed handgun has too much recoil, again it will be readily apparent. Until they are tried, she may look at one and say "but I like that cute little pistol".

I've had women prefer a small pistol. I taught women who could run a self loader very well. I had one gal purchase an S&W 10 shot 22 revolver with the target grips. I thought it would be much too large for her hands, but she used it to shoot several hundred rounds every Wednesday with us at the local indoor range. She loved that pistol!

Jake'sDad
03-05-12, 18:45
Significant no.

If she's not going to CCW it, why bother with small guns that have higher recoil? It's not like she has to stand there with arms out stretched for long periods of time. I, and many others, like 1911, 686, because of their weight.

A full framed wheel gun firing lower .38 = very low recoil and high level of control for smaller shooters who may not take the time to be able to deal with recoil of J frame .38s or full sized.357s, etc.

If she handles a larger frame well, fine, but in my experience, many women I've taught liked the J frame. Perhaps it was just the perception or it being easier to handle, but most did well with it. The smaller gun is also easier to store, or as I said, slip into their robe pocket if they hear a noise.

Similar to 9mm, modern .38 is not your grandpa's .38. :cool:

Grandpa's .38 factory loads might well have been more powerful, depending on when Grandpa got it and which one he chose. Before there was .357, there was .38-44.

But for most non shooter's, a 148 grain match wadcutter is still one of the best choices to load in it.

NWPilgrim
03-05-12, 20:01
From the women I have worked with on firearms they all seem to prefer shooting the K-frame through the L-frame size. J-frame is very good in the hand but not once they start shooting. So the SP101 is at the bottom of that range, then the Kframes like Models 65, 66, 67, and then the GP100 and 686.

From what I could find the difference in weight rom the 6-7-8 round chambers are miniscule like about an ounce or less.

WillBrink
03-06-12, 07:57
From the women I have worked with on firearms they all seem to prefer shooting the K-frame through the L-frame size. J-frame is very good in the hand but not once they start shooting. So the SP101 is at the bottom of that range, then the Kframes like Models 65, 66, 67, and then the GP100 and 686.

From what I could find the difference in weight rom the 6-7-8 round chambers are miniscule like about an ounce or less.

That has been my experience also. Once they start shooting it, that "cute little gun" syndrome goes away real fast. I always bring a decent selection for them the try, and the 686 with .38 combo never fails to be a favorite but that's within the collection I tend to have. I generally don't bring things for them to try that wouldn't meet minimal terminal ballistics recs for SD as I don't want them getting attached to things like .22 and other mouse rnds if they so choose to consider getting a "real" firearm for home protection.

Wish I was better with a wheel gun! :cool:

jmoore
03-06-12, 08:42
....IF you get her a weapon, put a laser on it. While I have no use for them myself, I do see the usefulness - especially in this case.

If it were my mom - I'd set her up with a .22/.22mag revolver with a laser. I think Ruger now has their revolver - with it's great-for-a-revolver trigger pull - available in .22 - yes?

john

PS - And part of me says to simply get her a taser or OC. That and a yappy mutt go a long way:)

Jake'sDad
03-10-12, 12:48

While the bigger and heavier gun will shoot better for many women, the smaller gun is easier for the more frail to hold up, hide around the house, and like I said, easier to slip in a pocket when they take the trash out or answer the door at night, etc. It's certainly a trade off, and clearly there's not one size that fits all. If the lady is comfortable with GP100 or L frame, on and off the range, then good for her. That wasn't my usual experience though.

I was referring specifically to those who have little interest in target shooting, and were only looking for a home protection gun. The kind of shooting I've done with most of these women, has been making pie plate size hits at 10-15 feet. For most of them, making those hits relatively quickly with a J frame, using soft target ammo, wasn't a problem. While they may not have been ready for a gunfight with multiple gang bangers, they were far better off than cowering in the bedroom with a phone and a can of mace.

Actually, depending on frame size and material construction, the weights can vary a pound or more. But the other difference when it comes to the large frames is reach and trigger control.