PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Carbon 15 Surprised Us

agksimon
03-02-12, 19:03
I'm a new poster here and I don't even own an AR yet, but tried one at the range the other day and might be getting the bug.
A guy at our club had one of those cheap Bushmaster Carbon 15's he was playing around with. I asked him how it shot and he said he's put about 500 rounds through it without so much as a hiccup. I tried it out, but was having trouble with the red dot that came with it, as I have astigmatism and it looked like a glob of grapes to me, even with glasses. The trigger also felt like a washboard and broke at 7.5 lbs. I told him I'd like to see what we could do with it to make it a shooter, so we took it back to my house to work on it. I very lightly honed the tool marks off the hammer contacts, not removing more than a thousanth, so I wouldn't ruin the case hardening, didn't change the contact geometry and got the trigger to break at 6 lbs. very cleanly.
I asked him if I could put a scope on it, just to see what it would do. I had a cheap, Leapers UTC 3X9 on my Ruger 10/22 and installed it on the Bushmaster, got out the sandbags, went back to the range and sighted it in, using his American Eagle 55gr ammo.
We then spent the next hour shooting one inch groups at 100 yards with it. I really never expected a low end gun to shoot this well and was very surprised it would. We found some JP Enterprises 4.5 lb springs at Midway and when they get here, we'll see if we can do even better. I'm now planning on building an AR and if I can get this Carbon and Leapers scope to shoot this well, I'm wondering what I can do with a good AR and a good scope.

p22shooter30
03-02-12, 22:54
this ought to be fun

BCmJUnKie
03-02-12, 22:58
500 rounds is HARDLY any evidence to give ANY kind of credit to.

I have a plastic lower reciever, it keeps my washer from shaking on the spin cycle.

If youre getting the "Bug" from a carbon 15...just think what will happen when you shoot a real rifle

Shokr21
03-02-12, 23:03
Fireworks in March?! must be my lucky day!

Can't wait to see where this goes

darr3239
03-02-12, 23:20
:rolleyes:

Seth247
03-02-12, 23:30
I shot a guys bushy carbon one time. I loved how light it was but when it comes Down to it it's still a bushy with a plastic lower.

pleaforwar
03-02-12, 23:37
Look, you're gonna get a lot of comments about better gear and rifles. I know that's coming so I'm not even going to touch that.

But, if you don't have an AR and are new to the platform, why the heck are you doing any modifications to your friend's rifle? Why on earth would you feel qualified to do such a thing?

I recommend you go to a legitimate course and cover the basics. If you can get in a Specialized Armament Armorer's Course I recommend you attend it.

Doing such an action with no experience is nothing short of reckless, IMO.

Welcome to M4C. Take a minute and read what we are about.

Cheers,
Dan

Seth247
03-02-12, 23:42
Dan, not all gunsmiths own AR-15s. The fact that he doesn't have one has no relation to his knowledge of firearms modification. Since he's talking about honing and not breaching case-hardening it's sounds like he has some experience in this sort of thing. But thats just me assuming so it's worth what you paid for it.

Failure2Stop
03-02-12, 23:52
Look, you're gonna get a lot of comments about better gear and rifles. I know that's coming so I'm not even going to touch that.

But, if you don't have an AR and are new to the platform, why the heck are you doing any modifications to your friend's rifle? Why on earth would you feel qualified to do such a thing?

I recommend you go to a legitimate course and cover the basics. If you can get in a Specialized Armament Armorer's Course I recommend you attend it.

Doing such an action with no experience is nothing short of reckless, IMO.

Welcome to M4C. Take a minute and read what we are about.

Cheers,
Dan

To this I say, "Yup."
And thus endith the thread.

Iraqgunz
03-03-12, 00:14
I find it very hard to believe that you were able to shoot 1 MOA with this . How many rounds were you shooting in your groups?