PDA

View Full Version : Vltor iMod is loose

Shark
03-02-12, 21:07
Just got one from Spike's, and it's a little loose. I suspect it is for a Commercial tube, but Spike's didn't have an option for Milspec so I assumed it is. Is there a way of telling if it's Commercial or Milspec? There's a small indicator located on the left side of the stock near the toe. It has an arrow pointing to the M <---- C So, this should be Milspec, right? If so, it's loose. Suggestions, or comments?

Thanks

bp7178
03-02-12, 21:13
The M should be mil-spec.

Mine fits pretty snug to by Vltor receiver extension.

Which brings me to the next part, who makes your extension, and what is loose? Do other stocks fit tighter?

Shark
03-02-12, 21:28
Milspec receiver extension is from BCM. I put my SOPMOD on it and it fits a better. Do I specifically need a VLTOR receiver extension?

SomeOtherGuy
03-02-12, 21:46
How loose are we talking? The SOPMOD tends to be one of the tightest fitting stocks, so most others will feel a bit loose in comparison. I have a couple original modstocks and on BCM receiver tubes they fit very well, but do have slight play, as nearly all stocks do. Less play than a typical M4 stock, slightly less than an MOE, more than a SOPMOD, in my tiny sample size.

Shark
03-02-12, 21:55
Ya I'm beginning to think that this stock has a little play. :( My SOPMOD is snug, as is my CTR, so I'm used to "tighter" stocks.

Hwikek
03-02-12, 22:04
Does it act like a standard GI stock? Those play too but they are still practical and useful. But I think whether or not stock play really depends on what you're using it for. If the cheek weld is comfortable I think it's fine but if you need it to not have as much play maybe you should talk to someone at VLTOR.

bp7178
03-02-12, 22:33
I wouldn't think you need a Vltor RE in particular, I'm just making sure we weren't talking about a DPMS or some generic thing.

My IMod is about the same as a CTR w/o the lock engaged.

sinlessorrow
03-02-12, 22:43
the SOPMOD is generally tight and the CTR has a pressure lock.

Vltor stocks have a little play but it makes no diff, once you shoulder it, it shouldnt be moving

dogbiter
03-02-12, 23:30
I listened to the morons who said Bushmaster has a co. tube, so I wasted an hour of my time. My A.S.A.P said I needed the big spacer for com. tube, guess what IT DID NOT FIT!
So take the opinions from morons, with a grain of salt.

VIP3R 237
03-02-12, 23:54
I listened to the morons who said Bushmaster has a co. tube, so I wasted an hour of my time. My A.S.A.P said I needed the big spacer for com. tube, guess what IT DID NOT FIT!

Well bushmaster doesnt use a milspec (1.14 diameter) they do use the commercial sized 1.17 outer diameter tube. The problem is that there isnt an official commercial spec so the recess isnt cut as deep on the bushmasters reciever extention so most have to grind down the asap's commercial insert to fit because the milspec one is too small. I generally install at least one asap a week on a bushy and its always the same process.

Iraqgunz
03-03-12, 01:30
dogbiter,

Bushmaster does in fact use commercial tubes unless they changed. Generally speaking they can be identified by the slight slope at the rear.

Commercial and MILSPEC tubes use the exact same castle nut and end plate. It's only the stock size that is affected.

P2000
03-03-12, 10:52
If the wiggle bothers you , you can put a 3-4'' piece(s) of electrical tape inside the stock at 12'oclock running from front to rear. But a little wiggle is meaningless.

Quiet-Matt
03-03-12, 11:43
I have a IMod that had a little play on a BCM RE. I cured that with a heat gun and now she fits like OJ's glove.

HaydenB
03-03-12, 14:05
now she fits like OJ's glove.

And by that I'm sure you mean "it doesn't fit". :rolleyes:

I think "perfect" fit is very RE specific. Thus the invention of the friction lock. For example I've felt MOE stocks that rattle like crazy, but I've also seen MOE stocks so tight you can barely move them.

If it really bugs you just do like P2000 said and tighten it up with some tape.

Quiet-Matt
03-03-12, 14:23
And by that I'm sure you mean "it doesn't fit". :rolleyes:

Oh, It fits! You just have to want it to go on there. :thank_you2:
The heat treated IMod is definately my best fitting stock now. I guess you could say it's fitted to the RE.

I've done the electrical tape trick on a MOE stock and it works too. Aluminum tape is also good.

redone13
03-03-12, 14:45
I have 2 imods, club foot and the standard one, and both have some play on my AK and my AR. They are both mil spec so I wouldn't be too alarmed. It did kind of bother me at first but it really hasn't affected my shooting.

Boss Hogg
03-03-12, 15:09
Between a stock that has a little play, and one that's snug, I'd go for one that has a little play as it's faster to adjust/collapse in a hurry. I've found that "snugness" makes no practical difference in accuracy.