PDA

View Full Version : New to M4's

Lonespar
03-03-12, 00:36
I am new to the forum and to AR's in general. I have had guns for years, and always wanted some type of AR15. I sold a Ruger Mini 14 and got an M&P 15. Is there anything i should Know??

pleaforwar
03-03-12, 00:51
Welcome to M4C.

Yes, there are a few things you should know. You can start here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

The big search button is your friend. Random simple questions that have been asked thousands of time is your worst enemy.

Enjoy your time here.

Cheers,
Dan

nobody knows
03-03-12, 00:59
First welcome to the forum, the orange search button at the top left will be your best friend. There are literally hundreds of threads on this forum that would address your question. Do lots of research and read as much as possible and you will find 99% of the answers you need. What year is your M&P? I ask because smith and wesson has gone through quite a lot of changes regarding the M&P 15 series. So if you could give the date of manufacture, it would help a lot in determining what upgrades may be necessary.

Pleaforwar beat me to it.

Lonespar
03-03-12, 01:41
Thanks Guys!! I will look for the date tomorrow!!

MSteele
03-03-12, 02:01
My first AR was an M&P15 I bought last year. As for staking of the gas key and castle nut it was done properly. They could have used better steel on the barrel. In the short amount of time that I kept the AR as I received it I went through one carbine course without a single issue. The only problem I had was FTF and I believe it was due to me loading the stripper clips into the mags off of a table. Also they are a tad over gassed and that was solved with an H2 buffer and later a blue Sprinco spring. My lower still remains the same even with my BCM upper. The direction that S&W is heading is good and their customer service is some of the best I have ever had. My Troy rail would loosen up and cause the front sight to turn right, S&W sent out a new one and problem solved. I am really looking forward to the Magpul spec M&P15. Good luck...

Scoby
03-03-12, 06:32
Welcome to the forum.

You have a good start there.