PDA

View Full Version : .22lr pistol help

Drew78
03-03-12, 08:29
Looking for some assistance on choosing a .22lr semiauto.

I have spent a LOT of time behind my 9mm Glocks over the past few years and as a result, spent a lot of money.

I really want to get a .22 pistol for some very cheap range time and focus on the basic fundamentals. Ok, and perhaps pop some furry creatures from time to time but I digress....

It appears the AA kits for Glocks only work on the 17 frame ( I only have 19's and 26's) AND that they are picky on ammo types. I want to be able to run bulk packs of .22 crap through these things. That is the point after all, cheap practice.

Ruger has the new SR22 out, but after reseaching last night looks to be some issues with the slide lock and slide interface on an alarming number of guns. They are going back to the factory, I dont want to BETA test for anyone.

Same for the new M&P 22 pistol. Aside from missing the mark on not having changable backstraps, its too new for me to want to chance.

The Walther P22 has been out, but even a quick search reveals lots of problems with this pistol, even with current produced guns.

Sig Mosquito is not an option.

The Ruger Mark series seems to be the most bomb proof, but I cant stand the take down procedure for cleaning. Do you just not clean thes things often or what?

Maybe I am missing something here, but I welcome any comments and/or suggestions.

Thanks-

Drew

C4IGrant
03-03-12, 08:39
From what I am seeing around me, the new production M&P .22 pistols are very good.

C4

Jambi
03-03-12, 08:43
I found the Walther reviews to be 50/50. Bought one anyways, it was cheap.
No issues thus far, although I clean it often.
Takes care of the little furries at 0130.
Here:

Drew78
03-03-12, 08:47
Should have looked harder!

AA does make a .22 kit for the G19. Anyone here using one? I noticed on the AA website that they "Highly recommend Remmy Golden Bullets or Mini Mags" The Rem GB stuff is the cheap 500 round bulk stuff right?

I really think this would be the best option for me as I shoot Glocks primarily. It would translate well over to centerfire practice.

Drew78
03-03-12, 08:47
I found the Walther reviews to be 50/50. Bought one anyways, it was cheap.
No issues thus far, although I clean it often.
Takes care of the little furries at 0130.
Here:

Is that a fake can?

JCPerson11
03-03-12, 08:49
I have the newest version of the walther p22 and have had no issues. The problem is people try to run crap .22 ammo through them to save $6. A 500rd box or cci .22's is $26 just buy the good stuff and you won't have any problems. None of these pistols will shoot the bulk winchester, or remington crap you get a walmart reliably.

Jambi
03-03-12, 08:51
Is that a fake can?

Negative, no fakes allowed here.

Drew78
03-03-12, 08:53

Nice, I would certainly like to have that on a .22.

JCPerson11
03-03-12, 08:57
I need a threaded barrel and one of those for my p22. For a .22 man that little gun is loud!

Jambi
03-03-12, 08:59
As JC stated, get yourself some CCI jacketed subs.

JonInWA
03-03-12, 09:04
After my research, I decided on the Ruger Mk III 22/45; the TALO edition 4.5" slabside barrel version, which I thought would be a good analog for practice vis-a-vis my G17/G19/G34/G21 and my Nighthawk Talon II (4.25" barrel Commander configuration).

The take-down isn't really that difficult, particularly with a lot of the internet guidance and videos available; once you've done it 2 or 3 times, you'll easily get the hang of it. Given how the gun is constructed, it really is a quite ingenious way to achieve a slide platform where the sight mounts don't reciprocate.

Best, Jon

Drew78
03-03-12, 09:04

Who makes that can, about how much are they?

any drawbacks, do they need a lot of maintainance?

Jambi
03-03-12, 09:15
Who makes that can, about how much are they?

any drawbacks, do they need a lot of maintainance?

http://advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=858

Mine is the original Pilot, the new Pilot 2 is serviceable.
Dirty ammo = more maintainance.

RCI1911
03-03-12, 11:40
I recently bought a M&P22 for my wife for her birthday. It is a great little pistol. I don't think that you will be chancing anything with it. I do wish they would have left the thumb safety off of it and you only get one magazine but other than that its GTG.

jmp45
03-03-12, 11:50
I think you'd be fine with the M&P22, Grant has them at a real good price. I stumbled onto one last fall when an lgs dropped the sale price right in front of me, couldn't say no. They were scarce then. I've had '0' issues. It runs everything I've put into it and more accurate than I. The grip is somewhere between the small and medium, closer to a medium.

Agree that SIG shouldn't be an option. My brother has one, nothing but a headache. FTF's in every mag, no matter what he runs and changes he's made, springs etc. CCI works best but still gets a few.

RagweedZulu
03-03-12, 12:22
Another guy here who chose the Ruger MKII 22/45. Mine is stainless with the round bbl, but a ton of fun to shoot. And cheap! I teach a 4H .22 rifle class for kids, and after class I let them try it out. They love it.

I don't take my Ruger down all that often. I blast a lot of RemClean in there to wash out all the fouling. Then I just brush what I can reach, pull a bore snake through the barrel and Bob's Your Uncle! It shoots another 500+ rounds with rarely a hiccup.

Texas42
03-03-12, 12:48
Don't forget the browning buckmark. I have a stainless camper. I originally was set to buy the ruger, but the camper just felt right.

Lots of fun to shoot. Will eat remington and federal. Doesn't like winchester (and neither do I).

I have no experience with the conversion kits, but my feeling is that the guns that are made to be .22lr are going to be more reliable.

.22's can be picky in general. Just find what your gun likes and buy that.

D.O.A.F.S.
03-03-12, 17:33
The M&P 22 is a great pistol, I have thousands of rounds through mine with zero issues. JMP45 I hated the thumb saftey too it is easily removed.

F-Trooper05
03-03-12, 19:11
Ruger MKII = Glock of .22's (as in: "they just work.")

Dobie
03-03-12, 19:28
I have the AA kit for the G19 and its the best thing I have done to shoot more and improve my Glock shooting. I buy the Remington Golden bullets by the case and function is excellent. I like it so much I just bought a G19 frame to make it a dedicated trainer. Its paid for itself and makes shooting 500 rounds a weekend affordable. My Glock skills have never been better.

Drew78
03-03-12, 19:32
Ruger MKII = Glock of .22's (as in: "they just work.")

this is the way I am leaning as of now, lord knows it could change by tomorrow. Although, I assume the Mark III's are gtg. No idea what the difference between the II and III's are.

I have my eye on this lil honey:

http://ruger.com/products/markIIIDE/specSheets/10125.html

Now, I just have to see if my LGS can get it in for me...

-Drew

PlatoCATM
03-03-12, 19:34
I recently bought my g19 AA kit and don't have enough rounds downrange to give it an accurate review, but it's certainly running well so far. It's nice to be able to train for just a few cents per round on the same gun I carry.

Anybody have a lead on the Remington golden bullets they recommend?

Dobie
03-03-12, 19:35
I recently bought my g19 AA kit and don't have enough rounds downrange to give it an accurate review, but it's certainly running well so far. It's nice to be able to train for just a few cents per round on the same gun I carry.

Anybody have a lead on the Remington golden bullets they recommend?

I buy cases from Cheaper Than Dirt

TAZ
03-03-12, 20:17
I have a P22 and a AA conversion for my G21. Both have run well wi the recommended ammo (CCI mini mags or Golden Bullets) the P22 will swallow the Federal bulk junk better than the AA kit. Neither is as accurate as a Ruger, but accurate enough to be fun and to know that any misses were the result of operator headgap instead of the gun. If you're looking to get better with the Glock, I'd definitely recommend the conversion kit. There is nothing like being able to use the Glock grip, trigger and other controls/holsters through a whole range session. My only complaint has been that the mags don't drop free from my G21SF with the ambi mag release. I'm planning on picking up a couple of more mags and shooting steel matches with it.

I'll probably end up picking up a MP22 as a trainer for my wife who shoots an MP9. Wish they ran on P22 mags as I have a few of them laying around.