PDA

View Full Version : Finally drank the Colt kool aid

Ballistic Archer
03-03-12, 11:08
Ok, I dont post much and realize many wont give half a shit about the fact I purchased a new rifle but I do have said on occasion some not nice things about Colt. (more on ARfcom than here, but they ban you if you break wind while posting there....) My complaints about Colt in the past have been primairly speaking to what I consider sub par quality of my old 80's HBAR (I mean really, the trigger was garbage, fit was loose as hell, and came with a Tasco scope for christ's sake) but more so some of the POS series 80 1911's they put out, complete garbage without a rebuild.

Anyway, my local shop had a few 6920 M4's and 6920MOE M4's come in and I have heard alot about Colt's fit/finish having been much improved of late and more models being sold to civies at more reasonable prices so I had to take a look.

I have to say, what a difference a few decades makes, the fit and finish of these rifles was outstanding, no color variations, nice tight upper/lower fit, front sight does not look as if it wass sprayed with rhino lining and dirt mixture, etc.

I ended up taking home the 6920MP M4, (1:7) mounted a Surefire 200 lumen LED and the MOE vert short grip. My only complaint was the trigger, its very heavy and gritty, so, I am swapping it out for a Timney 3lb straight trigger this afternoon. (I like the fact they did away with the sear blocks they used to have in the lowers, allowing much greater trigger options without removing the block.)

I had it at the range last weekend and fired 120 rds of .223 PMC 55 gr, Black Hills 68gr Match, Hot Shot 55gr and Federal 5.56 M193 (Btw, I havent researched it, but I feel pretty sure that this is also PMC ammo, its loaded in the same place in South Korea and I pulled the bullet and the bullet, a FMJBT and powder appear identical, anybody who knows more about this ammo please feel free to share.) It shot the best with the Hot Shot, averageing 1.15" CTC 5 shot groups with the Magpul MBUIS rear sight) The other 3 loads avg 1.50". Function was 100%.

My impression, very nice lightweight rifle, once I change the trigger, its about perfect. Very impressed.

Now for the part that will have some guys shitting all over me, as nice as this weapon is, I still prefer my Rock River Elite Operator II, setup with the same Surefire 200 lumen LED in an Elzetta mount a Troy short vert grtip, MBUIS, RRA 2 stage match trigger (awsome) and EoTech XPS2-2. The RRA is more accurate (even with the EoTech off) softer shooting and I much prefer the RRA Vultor style butstock (a slimmed down design), its just simply my favorite AR to date, (I have owned....several) Downside, its is much heavier than the Colt, thought shooting offhand at 100+ yds I consider this an asset.

I have to say though, I am now a proud Colt owner and cant say they are over rate and over priced anymore. The ones I am seeing seem to be better than ever and priced pretty damn fairly. Hats off to Colt for upping thier game for the civilian population with alot of great quality products.

I have learned to love Colt again, who knew??

tinman44
03-03-12, 13:03
Ok, I dont post much and realize many wont give half a shit about the fact I purchased a new rifle but I do have said on occasion some not nice things about Colt. (more on ARfcom than here, but they ban you if you break wind while posting there....) My complaints about Colt in the past have been primairly speaking to what I consider sub par quality of my old 80's HBAR (I mean really, the trigger was garbage, fit was loose as hell, and came with a Tasco scope for christ's sake) but more so some of the POS series 80 1911's they put out, complete garbage without a rebuild.

Anyway, my local shop had a few 6920 M4's and 6920MOE M4's come in and I have heard alot about Colt's fit/finish having been much improved of late and more models being sold to civies at more reasonable prices so I had to take a look.

I have to say, what a difference a few decades makes, the fit and finish of these rifles was outstanding, no color variations, nice tight upper/lower fit, front sight does not look as if it wass sprayed with rhino lining and dirt mixture, etc.

I ended up taking home the 6920MP M4, (1:7) mounted a Surefire 200 lumen LED and the MOE vert short grip. My only complaint was the trigger, its very heavy and gritty, so, I am swapping it out for a Timney 3lb straight trigger this afternoon. (I like the fact they did away with the sear blocks they used to have in the lowers, allowing much greater trigger options without removing the block.)

I had it at the range last weekend and fired 120 rds of .223 PMC 55 gr, Black Hills 68gr Match, Hot Shot 55gr and Federal 5.56 M193 (Btw, I havent researched it, but I feel pretty sure that this is also PMC ammo, its loaded in the same place in South Korea and I pulled the bullet and the bullet, a FMJBT and powder appear identical, anybody who knows more about this ammo please feel free to share.) It shot the best with the Hot Shot, averageing 1.15" CTC 5 shot groups with the Magpul MBUIS rear sight) The other 3 loads avg 1.50". Function was 100%.

My impression, very nice lightweight rifle, once I change the trigger, its about perfect. Very impressed.

Now for the part that will have some guys shitting all over me, as nice as this weapon is, I still prefer my Rock River Elite Operator II, setup with the same Surefire 200 lumen LED in an Elzetta mount a Troy short vert grtip, MBUIS, RRA 2 stage match trigger (awsome) and EoTech XPS2-2. The RRA is more accurate (even with the EoTech off) softer shooting and I much prefer the RRA Vultor style butstock (a slimmed down design), its just simply my favorite AR to date, (I have owned....several) Downside, its is much heavier than the Colt, thought shooting offhand at 100+ yds I consider this an asset.

I have to say though, I am now a proud Colt owner and cant say they are over rate and over priced anymore. The ones I am seeing seem to be better than ever and priced pretty damn fairly. Hats off to Colt for upping thier game for the civilian population with alot of great quality products.

You may not get many replies do to the fact most people that frequent this board dont give two shits about the parts of your post I highlighted in red... With that said, congrats on your new purchase of a reliably proven tool.

a0cake
03-03-12, 13:11

I'm one of the guys that is going to shit on you. Have you considered, for a second, that the RRA might be "more accurate" because it has a 2 stage match trigger...that your observations have less to do with the mechanical potential of the rifles than with your ability to work the triggers? I would reserve judgement on the accuracy of the rifles until you shoot them with similar triggers and get ammo preferences figured out.

Also, have you considered that the RRA is "softer shooting" because, as you admit, it is A LOT heavier? Seems pretty obvious to me. The RRA is very likely overgassed; the Colt is not. Other than weight, there is no reason that the RRA is softer shooting. In fact, the opposite is likely true.

It seems your observations have more to do with appearances and accessory configurations, and less to do with any real differences between the manufacture of the two rifles. If you were to consider these real differences, you would quickly find the Colt to be superior to the RRA in every way.

ZGXtreme
03-03-12, 13:15
Glad it was pretty enough for ya.

Beat Trash
03-03-12, 13:39
The only concern about "Fit and Finish" I have about my AR's is that they are assembled properly, and that the parts are made of the correct material and to the correct tolerance.

This may sound simplistic, but when talking about the AR market, it's not. Parts are not parts, and there really is a difference in quality. You can take ok parts and still not assemble the gun correctly.

There are companies that sell crappy guns that look nice and have a nice finish. You can also put a dress on a pig. But... in the end, it's still a pig.

Many here are LEO's and Military. I use my AR at work as a LEO supervisor. I use a Colt 6920. I've changed a couple of things. Recently added a MagPul STR stock. I use a VCAS sling, MOE for end and VFG, Surefire G2X in a IWC mount, Troy BUIS and an Aimpoint T-1.

My gun has some character marks on the finish from being used both while training, and while at work. If I posted a picture of it on AR15.com, many wouldn't be impressed because it's too plain, even homely. Oh well...

My gun is a tool. I don't intentionally abuse it, but I'm not too concerned about how it looks. I'm more concerned about how it performs. I don't want it to fail me. Even if I wasn't a LEO, I'd feel the same. A private citizen defending his family needs the same level of quality and dependability from his carbine as a LEO, when the moment peril is forced upon him.

You made a wise choice in buying your Colt 6920. Spend some time around this site. Search a bit. Read a bit. You'll find many here have opinions about what makes a serviceable AR. These opinions are based on actual experience, gained from hard usage of more than a single gun.

You won't see many here use the phrase "Kool Aid drinker". Throwing insults to defend a poor choice of purchase as you see on other sites doesn't go over well here. To quote a wise individual who responded to this juvenile type of responses, "Shh, The grownups are talking!".

Enjoy your Colt.

J_Dub_503
03-03-12, 14:45
Now for the part that will have some guys shitting all over me, as nice as this weapon is, I still prefer my Rock River Elite Operator II, setup with the same Surefire 200 lumen LED in an Elzetta mount a Troy short vert grtip, MBUIS, RRA 2 stage match trigger (awsome):suicide2: and EoTech XPS2-2. The RRA is more accurate (even with the EoTech off)

How many rounds does the trigger have on it? We've seen many times that they shit out real quick.

The RRA isn't more accurate, that's completely subjective. It's a combination of your GI trigger and your trigger control...Switch it to an ALG Defense ACT and do the test over again (Using the same ammo target and distance obviously.)

Kokopelli
03-03-12, 14:54
We should create a "born again" support group.. I'm in.. LOL.. Ron

Ballistic Archer
03-03-12, 16:46
Wow thanks for the physics lesson Dad, I have owned 8 and shot a dozens more AR's, so yes, I am aware the RRA is softer shooting because its heavier. I shot IPSC sillhoette in the late 80's early 90's and understand trigger control. I am aware the GI trigger is something less than match quality, thats why I changed it out. I can configure accessories anyway I like, I have a castle wrench too....

Let me see if I can make my post a bit more blunt, my 80's HBAR was a poorly put together, poorly finised inaccurate piece of shit.

The 6920 is not.

Better now.

I'm one of the guys that is going to shit on you. Have you considered, for a second, that the RRA might be "more accurate" because it has a 2 stage match trigger...that your observations have less to do with the mechanical potential of the rifles than with your ability to work the triggers? I would reserve judgement on the accuracy of the rifles until you shoot them with similar triggers and get ammo preferences figured out.

Also, have you considered that the RRA is "softer shooting" because, as you admit, it is A LOT heavier? Seems pretty obvious to me. The RRA is very likely overgassed; the Colt is not. Other than weight, there is no reason that the RRA is softer shooting. In fact, the opposite is likely true.

It seems your observations have more to do with appearances and accessory configurations, and less to do with any real differences between the manufacture of the two rifles. If you were to consider these real differences, you would quickly find the Colt to be superior to the RRA in every way.

J_Dub_503
03-03-12, 16:54
You made that post knowing fully well you were going to get "shit on," now 4 posts in and your already making snide remarks and being a smart ass. You're not going to last long on this forum with that bullshit. Maybe you should head back over to TOS.

Ballistic Archer
03-03-12, 17:03
Valid observations.

How many rounds does the trigger have on it? We've seen many times that they shit out real quick.

The RRA isn't more accurate, that's completely subjective. It's a combination of your GI trigger and your trigger control...Switch it to an ALG Defense ACT and do the test over again (Using the same ammo target and distance obviously.)

Ballistic Archer
03-03-12, 17:11
I suspected I might get shit on and this was confirmed. I know finish is not highly regarded here, I am one who thinks that when recieving a $1000.00 weapon it should not look as if it was painted with stove paint by a kid in a garage and fit like a square peg was beat into a round hole.

I also think alot of the guys giving props to Colts current stuff were spot on, clearly, I bought one. But I do have a long term view of firearms companies and RRA's 1911's were outstanding too...

I think a few guys take themselves a bit too seriously, this is an internet forum, not contract negotiations. I appreciate fine weapons and the those who know how to use them, thats why I come here. There is stuff I dont know and stuff I do, like what it feels like to take a .355 cal slug point blank, so ligthen up bro, and dont make too many assumptions about my background.

Peace brother.

You made that post knowing fully well you were going to get "shit on," now 4 posts in and your already making snide remarks and being a smart ass. You're not going to last long on this forum with that bullshit. Maybe you should head back over to TOS.

Wa22ioR
03-03-12, 17:20
Glad it was pretty enough for ya.

LOL! Op, congrats and good luck with your Colt.

Wa22ioR
03-03-12, 17:23
You may not get many replies do to the fact most people that frequent this board dont give two shits about the parts of your post I highlighted in red... With that said, congrats on your new purchase of a reliably proven tool.

+1.. Op, please don't take offense. It's a tool brother.

Ballistic Archer
03-03-12, 17:36
Yep, ZG had a pretty good one there, I grinned at it too. I like pretty girls and pretty guns and aint ashamed of it.

Thanks, the 3lb Timney in installed a breaks like a glass rod, will get her back to the range this week..

BA

LOL! Op, congrats and good luck with your Colt.

Ballistic Archer
03-03-12, 17:37
sign me up too....

We should create a "born again" support group.. I'm in.. LOL.. Ron

Ballistic Archer
03-03-12, 17:41

The RRA 2 stage has about 3000 rds thru it, no significant wear, mike's out the same as the spare I bought. I am not using my weapons as bullet hoses or torture test subjects. What kind of round cout are guys seeing failures at?

BA

Ballistic Archer
03-03-12, 17:46
understood on that one..

+1.. Op, please don't take offense. It's a tool brother.

Bob Reed
03-03-12, 19:17
I am one who thinks that when recieving a $1000.00 weapon it should not look as if it was painted with stove paint by a kid in a garage and fit like a square peg was beat into a round hole.
I fully agree with you.

LPMan59
03-03-12, 19:22
congrats OP on the new pony. The Colt Kool-Aid is quite delicious.

I understand your point of view in regards to fit and finish. I certainly can understand that someone would want a $1k+ rifle to look great right out of the box, especially when other manufacturers of equal quality are able to do it.

With all of that being said, Colt builds rifles to function. They always have and always will. Sure a lemon gets out every once in a while; shit happens. I am not LE nor am I a professional shooter- just a guy who loves the AR platform. But even I am not all that concerned about the finish on my rifles. After one or two range trips, my ARs had more scratches on them that were worse than anything they came out of the box with. As long as the gun works, I'm happy.

C4IGrant
03-03-12, 19:27

Just as an FYI, the RRA is a heavier gun than the Colt (which is why it feels lie it shoots softer). RRA also uses a chamber that is closer to a .223 than 5.56. So they will most likely shoot better groups, but not be as reliable.

The RRA AR is like a Ford Taurus and the Colt is a BMW 7 series.

C4

C4IGrant
03-03-12, 19:29

The RRA 2 stage has about 3000 rds thru it, no significant wear, mike's out the same as the spare I bought. I am not using my weapons as bullet hoses or torture test subjects. What kind of round cout are guys seeing failures at?

BA

RRA 2 stage triggers can shoot out to just one stage in as little as 500rds. They are known trash.

C4

03-03-12, 20:21
My brothers,
No such thing as drinking Colt Kool-Aid. Reputation and reliability is well-known. Never a bad decision to buy a Colt. Colt sets the standard. Only a few that are better, or on par, with Colt.

Couldn't care less about fit, finish, etc. Relialbility and sending mother ****ers to Allah is what matters.

Ballistic Archer
03-03-12, 20:35
It appears I have been lucky then.

RRA 2 stage triggers can shoot out to just one stage in as little as 500rds. They are known trash.

C4

Find ManBearPig!
03-03-12, 22:33
I think a few guys take themselves a bit too seriously, this is an internet forum, not contract negotiations.

There are quite a good number of people on this website who trust their as well as other peoples lives to their equipment. Your guns reliability is literally a matter of life or death for these people, and I don't think something like that is possible to take too seriously.

In a fighting rifle, the thing could look like it was assembled by autistic, blind monkeys, as long as it performs well, it doesn't matter. The gun could have 27 different shades of anodizing and look completely retarded, but if it puts bullets where I want them reliably, then I don't care. Looking good is for wood stocked hunting rifles and collectors items.

I am merely a casual shooter, but many people on this website are not, as I said earlier. Keep that in mind when you post here, and nice purchase with the Colt. I wish I could get a complete Colt rifle, but alas, I live in Kalifornia, and some retarded politician saw a full auto AR 15 style rifle in a movie with the Colt logo on it, or something like that, and decided they made evil, baby killing assault weapons. It's o.k though, I just ordered a BCM lower from Grant, those are allowed, for my BCM upper, so I'm still getting a high quality AR15 regardless. :D

Super Mall Ninja
03-03-12, 23:11
I wish I could get a complete Colt rifle, but alas, I live in Kalifornia, and some retarded politician saw a full auto AR 15 style rifle in a movie with the Colt logo on it, or something like that, and decided they made evil, baby killing assault weapons.

Colt recently released california-legal S6920/40s and Grant has them for sale.

Kokopelli
03-03-12, 23:42
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii309/Hohopelli/KoolaidMan.jpg

Find ManBearPig!
03-04-12, 00:06
Colt recently released california-legal S6920/40s and Grant has them for sale.

Is that so? Very cool, thanks for telling me. I'll have to look into that next time I am in the market for an AR.

RogerinTPA
03-04-12, 00:35
Fit & Finish...Right. I hate these ****in threads.:bad: