PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 464 SPX

ovlov28
03-03-12, 12:18
Has anyone else seen the 464 spx on the Mossberg site? Tactical .30-.30 lever action. 16.25 in barrel, 3x rails (bottom, and both sides of hand guard) fiber optic sites, and adjustable butt stock?! (I wonder if a CTR stock for a commercial buffer tube would just slap right on.....)

I wanted to get a .300aac handi-rifle when it came out, but I might have to give this a try instead. I love my brothers old Winchester .30-.30. Initial google product search leads me to believe under $400 when it hits stores.

Obviously it is a bit of a gimic. But for something that would only come out of the safe on range days, and for fun.... Makes me smile a little bit to think about a "tactical" lever gun. I don't doubt it would be a good little rifle either. Easily better than a single shot in .300 AAC for the same kind of money.

HKGuns
03-04-12, 08:58
Yes I've seen it and why anyone would buy it is beyond my reasonable comprehension. I view it as a complete joke.

ovlov28
03-04-12, 11:02
Yes I've seen it and why anyone would buy it is beyond my reasonable comprehension. I view it as a complete joke.

Can you elaborate on your views a little more? That is a strong judgment with no details on why you feel that way. :)

My feelings on it are this. It is a .30-.30 with an adjustable butt stock (good if multiple people/family members wanted to use it), FO sights (easy for all to see), and if you had any spare AR accessories (rail mount bi-pod? light? laser?) you could tack them on, or leave the stock and loose the rails. I don't consider it to be a serious gun in the terms that I would grab it if I heard a bump in the night, but I don't find the idea that laughable either. Like I said, it could be a fun range gun, or even for hunting (at night if you had a light on there....), .30-.30 is plenty for most game.

For a low cost, it would be a way more useful tool than at single shot, or AR-pistol or something like that. Being a lever gun, it just has that level of practicality, while still being a novelty. I kind of think of it like the S&W R8 of lever guns. Only way less expensive.

Does anyone care to have anything fun in their safe anymore?

(I have no plans on buying one currently it would be FAR back on the list.... just thought it was a fun looking rifle)

J-Dub
03-04-12, 17:12
You cant be serious. Have you seen the stock? I cant even see how its shootable, you'll have to have a chin weld to see the sights.

Dont get me wrong, i love lever actions and the 30-30 cartridge. But the new mossberg is a p.o.s. Get a 336 or 94'

The Surgeon
03-04-12, 17:55
You cant be serious. Have you seen the stock? I cant even see how its shootable, you'll have to have a chin weld to see the sights.

Dont get me wrong, i love lever actions and the 30-30 cartridge. But the new mossberg is a p.o.s. Get a 336 or 94'

That is exactly what I was thinking when I seen the rifle. The Rear of the stock look a bit low for a good line of sight. I haven't had the rifle in my hands, so I could be wrong. But it looks as though one will need something to lift the head/cheek up to get LOS.

I thought is looked like a movie prop from "Cowboys and Aliens"

kenny87ky
03-06-12, 17:12
Honestly this is one gun I don't feel needs an explanation to hate. Tactical(at least to this level) and lever guns do not mix, at all, period. If you can look at the thing and still feel you need a well thought out explanation to say why its not a good choice then I don't know what to say. I am kinda surprised that as much effort they put in to make it tactical they didn't make it a mag fed 5.56 rifle that takes AR mags.

RD62
03-17-12, 21:48
I just saw it today.

I thought it looked like an abortion and I nearly threw up a little.

Holy Crap the things people will do to make a rifle "tactical".

I thought the picatinny rail on a coach gun was a bit of a stretch, but could kind of see a reasonable use for it.

But this thing? No thank you.

KiloSierra
04-03-12, 21:49
Sorry, my Marlin 336 with an aftermarket synthetic stock and the planned upgrade to a XS ghost ring sight and short rail for a mini red dot sights is as tacked out as I can comprehend and then only because I couldn't find a decent laminated stock set for it. May skip the rail mrds and just go with ghost rings.

JB326
04-03-12, 22:50
Can you elaborate on your views a little more? That is a strong judgment with no details on why you feel that way. :)

My feelings on it are this. It is a .30-.30 with an adjustable butt stock (good if multiple people/family members wanted to use it), FO sights (easy for all to see), and if you had any spare AR accessories (rail mount bi-pod? light? laser?) you could tack them on, or leave the stock and loose the rails. I don't consider it to be a serious gun in the terms that I would grab it if I heard a bump in the night, but I don't find the idea that laughable either. Like I said, it could be a fun range gun, or even for hunting (at night if you had a light on there....), .30-.30 is plenty for most game.

For a low cost, it would be a way more useful tool than at single shot, or AR-pistol or something like that. Being a lever gun, it just has that level of practicality, while still being a novelty. I kind of think of it like the S&W R8 of lever guns. Only way less expensive.

Does anyone care to have anything fun in their safe anymore?

(I have no plans on buying one currently it would be FAR back on the list.... just thought it was a fun looking rifle)

A little bit of my soul dies everytime I look at that rifle. At first, I thought that it surely had to be a joke. Maybe they'll also throw their "chainsaw grip" and Roadblocker muzzle brake on the next generation of the abomination.

But to your point on the 464 vs. and AR pistol, I would take an AR pistol in a second over the Mossberg. I can run an AR pistol almost as well as a stocked carbine if I jam the receiver extension into my cheek. It provides much more of a "cheek weld" than the Mossberg looks like it would.

Find ManBearPig!
04-04-12, 01:21
I just looked this "rifle up."

I literally said "What is this atrocity" out loud upon seeing it. If you want a rifle just because you want a range toy, a well built .22 is a much better option. Cheaper to shoot, and actually respectable in concept and final design.

Remember, if you buy one, you have proven they can make money off of it, which I doubt many people want to see happen. On the other hand, your money, your preferences. Feel free to disregard everything I and others have said if you feel the need to do so, I am not the government and will not tell you how to live your life. :D

1911-A1
04-05-12, 13:43
This is the very last site I would expect to find posters that advocate that a rifle should look a certain way.

I don't see anything on that gun that hinders its effectiveness. It's certainly non-traditional in appearance, but that shouldn't matter, should it?

Inuvik
04-05-12, 14:49
It will go great along with the Taurus Judge on your hip!

In all seriousness, the beauty of a lever action is the public perception of "cowboy" that goes along with it. This very forum is full of excellent modified lever actions that are as "tactical" as you would ever want, but still look like they came straight out of the wild west, and are not "evil black rifles" in any way.

This gun is the worst of both worlds in my opinion.

DoubleD396
04-11-12, 17:33
F.U.B.A.R......period!

godsmack
05-21-12, 17:43
I have one of the standard 464 lever guns, one of my favorite rifles. Very smooth action, more so than the couple of winchester M94 rifles I bought before they stopped production. Its as accurate as any lever action I have shot, about 2" at 50 yards with factory ammo.

That said not sure about the utility of an AR style collapsible stock on a lever gun. If marlin offered the railed forearm as an option that would be cool, and a threaded muzzle.

Jake'sDad
05-22-12, 01:26
It will go great along with the Taurus Judge on your hip!

Why was that guy so easy to picture in my mind?

:laugh:

exiledtoIA
05-22-12, 15:14
That would be the Mossberg MVP IIRC.

Honestly this is one gun I don't feel needs an explanation to hate. Tactical(at least to this level) and lever guns do not mix, at all, period. If you can look at the thing and still feel you need a well thought out explanation to say why its not a good choice then I don't know what to say. I am kinda surprised that as much effort they put in to make it tactical they didn't make it a mag fed 5.56 rifle that takes AR mags.

KrampusArms
06-10-12, 01:46
My opinion is this.

Mossberg went full blown retard. I'm sorry OP, but this thing is an abortion. My buddy told me about it over the phone this evening, & I had to see for myself. I can not believe it. I thought the tactical stoeger side by side was bad.

okie john
06-19-12, 14:08
Obviously it is a bit of a gimic. But for something that would only come out of the safe on range days, and for fun.... Makes me smile a little bit to think about a "tactical" lever gun. I don't doubt it would be a good little rifle either. Easily better than a single shot in .300 AAC for the same kind of money.

Yes, a gimmick.

There's a lot to be said for the lever gun. It was the 19th century equivalent of the black rifle and is nearly perfect as is. It could be a bit more rugged, and it needs peep sights (NOT fiber optic) and maybe some way to hang a light on it, but that's really about it.

It's easy to find a pawnshop Marlin or Winchester with good peep sights for $250 if you're patient. Or you can get the high-cap version in 357 or 44 Magnum, both of which perform very differently in a rifle.

That leaves $150 for ammo, which will get you a long way with those cartridges.

Okie John

TommyTactical
01-03-17, 14:34
Whenever ppl hear tactical they intantly start comparing it to a knights armament AR, or if they if they hear lever gun it has to have a blued barrel with a wood stock. I think it looks like a fun range gun that might turn some heads, i also think it is well suited as a hunting rifle because of how easy it is to mount a scope on it with the picatinny rail. Plus, honestly at the price point of $400 we know that it wont be the rifle you grab when your parachuting into Afghanistan (or any lever gun BTW!) Lastly its a lever gun so any failure to feed issues are 99% of the time on the shooter... Only made it through six comments before I realized no one actually fired the rifle and made all of their points/thoughts from a picutre they saw on mossbergs website.
I say go for it! You'll probably have fun with the rifle.

Averageman
01-04-17, 10:24
Honestly I would find an older model Marlin and spruce it up a bit and be happy.
There is something akin to giving the Mona Lisa a moustache when you mess with the classics.

Tx_Aggie
01-04-17, 19:00
To me this is a good example of a "tactical" lever gun done right:

https://i0.wp.com/grizzlycustom.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/DSC_8970a_edit2-1.jpg?zoom=1.25&fit=1000%2C300&ssl=1

The pic is not mine and is of a Grizzly Custom Guns "Backpacker Scout SBR conversion.

williejc
01-04-17, 20:29
Having fired a neighbors M SPX I must quickly jump in and state that the thing shoots much better than it looks. It's handy and with the stock collapsed it fits nicely on the floor of his farm truck or behind the seat. The term tactical is a giant misnomer. It should have been described as a utility rifle and sold with a case. It's ugly as hell and is the object of derision. The front rail serves as a good place to grip but has no other function and should have been left off. With a 12 inch barrel such a rifle would be handy indeed. I'll admit that the fudd in me makes me wish that I had one too, but he honest truth is that it looks so silly that I wouldn't be caught dead with one. You guys ease up on the op.

Averageman
01-05-17, 09:35
To me this is a good example of a "tactical" lever gun done right:

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/pagephotos_old/grizzly_custom_guns_backpacker_scout_marlin_package_lever_action_sbr_short_barreled_rifle_6.jpg

The pic is not mine and is of a Grizzly Custom Guns "Backpacker Scout SBR conversion.

I'm not sure I would personally want one in a SBR, but that is a damned handy and esthetically pleasing package.
I'm seriously considering getting a Marlin and sprucing it up a bit, although the last time I did one my Mother demanded I fork it over post haste.

JC5188
01-31-17, 08:46
Having fired a neighbors M SPX I must quickly jump in and state that the thing shoots much better than it looks. It's handy and with the stock collapsed it fits nicely on the floor of his farm truck or behind the seat. The term tactical is a giant misnomer. It should have been described as a utility rifle and sold with a case. It's ugly as hell and is the object of derision. The front rail serves as a good place to grip but has no other function and should have been left off. With a 12 inch barrel such a rifle would be handy indeed. I'll admit that the fudd in me makes me wish that I had one too, but he honest truth is that it looks so silly that I wouldn't be caught dead with one. You guys ease up on the op.

Since the thread is 5 years old, I'm thinking he's over it by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk