PDA

View Full Version : Do you get more or less vigilant with age?

mnoe82
03-03-12, 13:24
I'm in my late 20's and have been carrying a concealed weapon for about 4 years now. As time passes I find it harder to be comfortable without being armed. If I have pants on, I have a gun on. I usually carry an M&P with all the crap many of you guys do. Flashlight, knife, reload, etc.

I was talking to an older gun friend of mine who I shoot IDPA, 3 gun, etc with who has been a CCW holder for decades. He was telling me that he rarely carries now and that if he does, it's a LCP or something similar. He says he knows several older guys who have lost interest in the daily carry lifestyle.

I'm wondering if any of you have experienced this? It seems to me, the older I am, the less likely I would be able to defend myself and the more appealing CCW would become.

I'm thinking maybe it just gets old after decades of doing it? Any ideas?

DJK
03-03-12, 14:07
I'm nearly sixty years old and have carried legally here in Florida for the last nineteen years. A M&P and all the crap. I try to never leave home unarmed. I feel "undressed" if I do. Over the years, I have become aware that I am starting to look like a "victim" due to my age and the fact that I usually dress like a tourist. I have been out and about and have caught myself being watched by what I would call "suspicious" individuals. Fortunately, I believe my demeanor has caused them to look elsewhere. I do not think that I'm being paranoid, just cautious. I can't imagine why anyone who could carry wouldn't carry especially if they are a senior citizen.

Kokopelli
03-03-12, 14:27
IMO.. There is a element of truth there.. The realization that "I'll only have to deal with someone right on top of me and it'll all be over in a shot or two" has some effect as we age.. I also think that on some level (subconscious possibly) most younger people that go armed feel that they may have to protect somebody or otherwise "do the right thing". The realization that I'll be lucky to keep myself from getting killed is a significant influence.. An illustration.. Your confronted by someone intent on doing yo bodily harm from 20'.. You draw your weapon, flick off the safety, assume your stance and fire.. A second illustration.. Damn, I guy just blindsided me, he's on top of me and I fear for my life.. I get to my pistol as best I can and fire.. hoping to ny shoot myself or a bystander..

Anyhow.. I do know several people that don't carry as they once did.. rather just a pocket pistol.. Ron

glocktogo
03-03-12, 14:36
The older I get (46), the more I feel under dressed if I leave the house carrying anything less than a mid-sized 9mm and spare mag. I'm carrying a full size gun more and more often these days. Leaving the house unarmed seems unfathomable, as I hear of more and more criminal attacks outside the usual "crime zones". An armed attack at a pet food store a couple of miles from my rural area home really drove that point in hard.

AKDoug
03-03-12, 18:43
Do you get more or less vigilant with age?

The definition of vigilant is "alertly watchful especially to avoid danger"

As I get older I am much more knowledgeable about people and their actions. I am definitely more vigilant as I age, and it really has nothing to do with how I arm myself.

Axcelea
03-03-12, 21:04
I think it depends on the person.

Generally as people age they tend to settle down, are less macho, feel more secure (provided things don't happen along the way), don't have the aggression that tends to be in youth, etc so they may just get tired of it or come to a logical conclusion that the levels previously deemed necessary just aren't anymore. On the flip side you have those who may be losing confidence in their physical abilities (strong in youth but now feeling age and more easily taken), logically decide they are more likely to be viewed as a target due to their outward appearance, or have life experiences to make them become insecure.

As for actual level of vigilance (not carrying or practices of using it) and it pretty much only goes up until sight, hearing, physical strength, and cognitive ability start to decrease since vigilance to the point the body starts to go has been increasing with life experience but then is over shadowed with the physical limitations eventually.

drsal
03-03-12, 22:19
Here in Florida, while wandering about and seeing alot of 'older' folks, I notice many are armed.; printing, 'tactical' fanny pack, holster outline, and gun in pocket etc. So I don't think its an age issue, more of personal preference.

SteyrAUG
03-04-12, 00:35
I can't imagine not carrying.

To me it's like driving a car, once you start you wonder how you ever did without it.

Fidalgoman
03-04-12, 00:59
The odds are you will never need your gun if you stay alert and avoid the 4S rules. That is if you look to the past. Today somebody would have to be blind not to see the moral decline happening in our culture. So honestly if you can, you should be armed (and trained) IMHO.

mpom
03-04-12, 15:12
Agree that vigilance is not age dependent. Vision, reflexes, endurance and strength are. Now 61 and still carry most of the time, glock 27. Years ago, would often carry a 380 or 22!
I do see how a lot of shooters don't carry, but that is a decision they made for various reasons and if anything, they start to carry as they get older. Perhaps they realize their physical limitations in hand to hand
and that there are more vicious predators than in the past.

Mark

ST911
03-04-12, 18:03
My vigilance and preparation doesn't change by quantity, but more by quality. It evolves rather than increases or decreases, prompted by the responsibilities I take on, am relieved of, or can be assisted in.

Battle*Hound
03-06-12, 19:17
I seemed to have gone through phases in my life. Aware...Crazy...Paronoid....Realistic (which may just be a combo of all). It's def. a messed up country we are living in.

SOWT
03-07-12, 05:15
I am more vigilant.

I carry when I can. Work has a no-weapon rule so I leave my M&P in the car. Trips to the VA or Ft Sam are the only trips I take without the weapon on me, or in the car.

Ironically, both times I've needed a weapon have been in my house and driveway.

Ankeny
03-08-12, 19:15
The older I get, the more vigilant I am and my situational awareness increases. I carry more frequently now than ever. I am in my late fifties and I don't see changing my carrying habits anytime soon.

eo500
03-08-12, 19:38
I am definitely more vigilant at 40 than I was at 20. I say this for two main reasons. First, is the fact that I didn't get my concealed carry permit until about two years ago. Now I carry as much as I can (wherever it's legal, don't even get me started on the high number of "criminal safe zones" that Ohio laws create). The definitive proof that I'm more vigilant now is that I actually catch myself in those times when I'm not so vigilant, or could be more attentive. I never even noticed it before, but I have a bad tendency to fixate on one thing, and I never even realized it. Now at least when I start to get that tunnel vision, I catch it and seek to regain my situational awareness.

If you are asking the question about vigilance, you are probably more vigilant now than before when you were walking around never thinking about or noticing possible threats.