PDA

View Full Version : Round count and data logs

Youngbp04
03-03-12, 14:29
I know the issue of counting rounds and FTFs, FTE, etc has been beaten to death, but I wanted to get your thoughts on a couple of iPhone/iPad apps.

I recently downloaded Gun Log +P and am going to try it out. In the past I have used the old school method of pen and paper to track my usage, but I am now using my iPad and iPhone for almost everything, work and play alike.

I know there are a few different apps out there, gun log and range log being the two I have heard most about (ballistics FTE has a bunch of features but really is overkill for this and cost ~$20).

Are there any other apps you all use?

Hopefully this won't turn into a thread that debates the usefulness of counting rounds :)

SteveL
03-03-12, 14:34
I originally created my own spreadsheet. Later I imported it into Google Docs. It's free, I'm not tied to any one device with it, and I can access and update it from anywhere or any device that has internet access.

Youngbp04
03-03-12, 16:23
I originally created my own spreadsheet. Later I imported it into Google Docs. It's free, I'm not tied to any one device with it, and I can access and update it from anywhere or any device that has internet access.

Yeah I might be doing that as well.

I like the idea of gun log but I think the execution of I is flawed. The user interface overly complicated and while I am sure some find it extremely useful it has too big of a learning curve it seems like.

In order for an app to be useful to me I need to be able to become a power user with in one sitting. Gun log will take a long time to become familiar enough with it to actually be worth the effort. It has a lot of details including price paid price sold etc. It even has inventory of accessories. I think it might be more useful for someone who intends to flip guns routinely.

I feel like there is a market for an app that is completely intuitive and like you said can be updated/modified from anywhere, such as maybe an export to google docs or iCloud.

Would you be interested in an app that has the capability to edit on the iphone/ipad AND on google docs/icloud with a bunch of standard "canned" things you can track such as round count and failures but also would allow you to specify custom parameters on the fly?

I believe it would be possible to edit it as a standard excel file, and on the iPhone appear as a GUI.

rob_s
03-03-12, 17:03
I use Google docs forms instead of spreadsheets so I just answer the questions on the form but the output looks like a spreadsheet

SteveL
03-03-12, 18:44
I use Google docs forms instead of spreadsheets so I just answer the questions on the form but the output looks like a spreadsheet

Rob does Google Docs offer a ready-made round count form?

rob_s
03-03-12, 18:57
Rob does Google Docs offer a ready-made round count form?

No, I made one up, and I just copy and rename it for each gun.

Examples of the outputs here (https://sites.google.com/site/tacticalyellowvisor/reviews---guns/gun-logs-1)

The only thing I don't like about Google forms is that it doesn't add a new item inline on the spreadsheet, but tacks it on at the end regardless of where you put it in the form.

SteveL
03-03-12, 22:07
No, I made one up, and I just copy and rename it for each gun.

Examples of the outputs here (https://sites.google.com/site/tacticalyellowvisor/reviews---guns/gun-logs-1)

The only thing I don't like about Google forms is that it doesn't add a new item inline on the spreadsheet, but tacks it on at the end regardless of where you put it in the form.

Ok thanks for the link. That's similar to what I did, except instead of a column for each specific type of malfunction I use a column for number of malfunctions and another column where I input the type of malfunctions.

MrSmitty
03-03-12, 22:28
I usually have a Rite in the Rain that I use for each weapon. Keep track of every range session, shots fired, ammo, failures, etc. After seeing Rob's spreadsheet I've converted all of those into an Excel doc just because I like the idea. I've been meaning to do that but I've been putting it off, thanks Rob :happy:

SomeOtherGuy
03-03-12, 23:19
I use an excel spreadsheet that I made up myself. Simple stuff - date, rifle (or upper/lower), ammo used, shots fired, and a space for any notes.