PDA

View Full Version : Comparing two rifles

LHS
03-03-12, 15:07
I'm looking into getting a medium-caliber bolt gun for use on things such as heavy African plains game (kudu, eland, zebra, etc) and tough American game such as feral hogs, close-range elk, etc. I've pretty much settled on 9.3x62mm as a good utilitarian medium caliber for these things, based on availability, performance, and price. It'll approach .375 H&H performance, but recoils less, fits into a standard-length action, and costs far less for practice ammo. Coupled with a .30-'06 as a light rifle, it should be a decent battery for a plains game safari.

Now the question becomes, what rifle? I've used Remington rifles (700 and 7) for years to take whitetails, but Remington doesn't seem to offer anything in this caliber, and for an African rifle, I really do want some kind of Mauser-style action. So, I've looked into both the Ruger 77 Hawkeye African and the CZ 550 American.

Has anyone had any experience with these rifles in this caliber? The Rugers have a good reputation, but the CZ seems interesting as well. For the Ruger, I'd almost certainly replace the wood stock with a HS Precision synthetic, but the CZ has the option of a synthetic from the factory.

Hizzie
03-03-12, 19:44
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM770-1.html

http://www.wisconsincartridge.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=22&idproduct=702

http://store.thehuntingshack.com/375handh.aspx

.375 H&H can be found relatively cheap. I have a Ruger 77 Hawkeye African in .223. Very nice, trim and balanced. Not a huge fan of the bolt handle. I have handled a few CZ550's. They are tanks. Oddly they shoulder and balance very well, just a little fat in the hands. The weight dampens recoil. Both rifles would work equally well. Do you want slim and trim or big and beefy? 2 position or 3 position safeties? Capcaities are the same 4+1. The Hawkeye come with excellent sights.

I was set on a 375 H&H until a 458WM fell in my lap. Magnum recoil is not at bad as people make it out ot be. Throw a little more ass behind the rifle and lean into it. This ain't Camp Perry.

My Africa "someday" rifle: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=88949

Do post pics of whatever you decide. Check out the forums at Accurate Reloading.

usmc1371
03-03-12, 20:24
I had a cz 375 hnh for a while and it was a total joy to shoot, way les recoil than my 300wm. Its heavy for the caliber so that really tames down the recoil and my cz was dam accurate. I killed two deer and a coyote with it and ended up selling it for ar parts but I wish I still had it.
I have always packed ruger rifles and never has one let me down in 21 years of hunting, IMHO its hard to beat a ruger rifle.

375 HnH was on par with my ruger M77 30-06 as far as recoil, I shot the federl 260 grain accubonds and 300 grain NP's both shot great.

usmc1371
03-03-12, 20:42
Its not africa but I can vouch for the cz 375 on local (oregon) plains game.
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i365/usmc_1371/coyote375.jpg 100 yards on the trot, one shot stop.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i365/usmc_1371/doe375.jpg 315 yard neck shot with 260 grain accubond.

LHS
03-03-12, 22:12
Wow, .375 H&H on a coyote? I salute you.

My only worries about the CZ are that I've seen numerous reviews, articles, etc, that say the finish on them isn't so good, to the point that there are sometimes toolmarks on the interior of the action that affect cycling. But this is the internet, where BS flies at incredible velocities and volumes.

All in all, I'll likely go with the Ruger, especially if I can find a decent synthetic stock to put on it.

LHS
03-03-12, 22:16
As for safeties, I was kind of hoping for a military Mauser-style safety, but neither the CZ nor the Ruger seems to have retained that aspect of the Mauser design. I'm guessing it interferes with optics?

The only boltgun safeties I've ever used have been the Remington two-position style (which I found very easy to disengage when the rifle is slung, especially the safety on my old 788), the Mosin twist-lock style (definitely Do Not Want on a hunting rifle) and a two-position striker safety on a Norinco .22, which I thought was very positive in its action but not all that easy to disengage under stress or speed.

What are the relative plusses and minuses of the safeties on the Ruger vs. the CZ?

usmc1371
03-04-12, 00:59
The saftie on the CZ was really not bad, I carried that rifle for a few days mostly slung and never had it come off safe. The M77 with the tang safety is may favorite but now they have the 3 position safety. I have carried an m77 300 wm for almost 10 years with the 3 position safety and never had a problem with it comming off safe on accident.

The finish on the cz is not what I would call a work of art, mine was the lowest grade 550 safari magnum they sell, I would call it a working mans rifle. It would look out of place next to a nice safari grade ruger or high end wood stocked rifle. I only put a couple hundred rounds through my cz but it worked like a clock from day one.

I won the cz but if I were throwing down the cash I would look for a ruger first but I wouldn't pass up a cz in the cal I wanted if it came along.

The ruger can be loaded and unloaded with the safety still ON, I can't remember if the cz could do that, now I wish I still had the rifle I could just check. Dam, never selling another gun.

Hizzie
03-04-12, 02:28
Hogue full length pillar bedded. Ugly but feels so good.

Ruger OEM "boat paddle" synthetic stock. Extra ugly, extremely light weight and out of production but still can be found.

Not sure who else makes them as I haven't looked. I'm a Hogue fan.

CZ550's are a little rough. Plenty of shooting smooths them out though. American Hunting Rifles is THE place to go for CZ550 gunsmithing.

Safeties are personal preference. The CZ550 can be fitted with a 3 position wing safety if desired. My Mark X is a commercial mauser with 2 position side safety while the Ruger has the 3 position wing safety. So far I find the 2 position easier to engage/disengage. Of course I can load/unload with the safety on with the Ruger. Some consider that a deal breaker. Finger off trigger, engage brain.

Not sure if you have a specific budget but Sako makes the Brown Bear in 9.3x62. Synthetic stock, awsome sights and MOA guarantee.

LHS
05-15-12, 21:59
Well, I dropped the hammer and ordered a Ruger 77 African in 9.3x62mm and a set of Warne QD rings. I have a SWFA 1-6x optic on pre-order as well. Now to order some ammo. The only remotely reasonable practice ammo is Prvi Partizan, so I'll get a hundred rounds or so to practice, and look into some Barnes TSX for actual hunting.

gunnut284
07-14-12, 18:18
Well, I dropped the hammer and ordered a Ruger 77 African in 9.3x62mm and a set of Warne QD rings. I have a SWFA 1-6x optic on pre-order as well. Now to order some ammo. The only remotely reasonable practice ammo is Prvi Partizan, so I'll get a hundred rounds or so to practice, and look into some Barnes TSX for actual hunting.

Nice, I've always thought the 9.3x62 would be a cool gun to have. I have a Rem 798 .375 H&H I bought a few years back, it doesn't kick as bad as my .45-70 Guide Gun. I have no need for the big bore rifle, just always wanted one.