PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk recoil

sinlessorrow
03-03-12, 19:25
so I was on TOS and found a post quoting a LWRCI rep. I found this interesting because it was comparing recoil and muzzle rise of a piston setup vs that of a DI setup. Here is the quote

Faster follow-up shots. From the LWRC forum:

...recoil is recoil. There is no more or less recoil in a DI vs Piston gun. The difference being that the recoil is presented and over with much sooner with a piston gun. With professional shooters, operators that shoot a lot will in almost every case have much shorter splits with our gun than a DI M4 or even the long recoiling SCAR. The DI carrier generally speeds up for half of its travel, then only has half left to slow down. In general a stoner rifle bottoms out in the buffer tube causing muzzle flip. A piston gun is going full tilt through unlocking and thus has almost the whole length of the carrier's travel to slow down and any of the bottoming out effect is generally eliminated.

With an Aimpoint or similar, try this. Center up on your target and fire. As soon as your dot returns fire again. Time your splits. Do the same with a long recoiling gun. It takes much longer for your sights to settle back in. This even works when firing Auto bursts. You will amaze yourself how fast you can shoot. Your dot will quickly bounce and right back on target.

These are just true facts you will have trouble contesting if you shoot properly with a good stance or position. If The difference is mental because you are use to a long recoiling firearm that spreads the recoil impulse over a longer time frame.

Give it a try! You will be shocked. Once you try that, start transitioning to different targets as fast as you are able to do in a deliberate accurate manner. It may seem counter intuitive but is absolutely true.

What I find interesting is this seems to be the opposite of what alot of people think. Is there any truth to this?

I don't want to try myself since I see no reason to choose piston over DI but I know some have both.

Dsm2nr
03-03-12, 20:43
Almost everyone says a piston recoil impulse is different than a DI recoil impulse.

I've shot my Huldra middy back to back with my KAC SR-15. The Huldra has a PWS TTO on it and the KAC has a Battlecomp 2.0. The Huldra does feel like it has more recoil. But it certainly didn't affect how quickly I could get shots off. With people who don't shoot every single day; I don't think will see much difference in splits. People like Costa, Haley, LAV and Kyle Lamb are the type of people that probably will. Whether it's one way or the other, I couldn't tell you.

IMO the recoil difference is more akin to a 5" 1911 vs a 4" 1911.

ETA: In the end, my .02 aren't worth much compared to a lot of people around here.