PDA

View Full Version : a couple upgrades to a 6920

castle
03-03-12, 19:49
i've been running my 6920 in it's stock form since buying it several years ago. i finally ponied up and bought a centurion c4 fsp rail to install so i could mount a weapon light and either an afg or vfg. i liked the fsp rail for the extra options you have when mounting a light and allowing me to get my support hand out further.

i did the install today. it was the first time i've ever anything to this gun except standard maintenance. removing the roll pins for the side mount sling swivel was kind-of a pain. then i proceeded to drive out the the taper pins in the fsb. the pin nearest the receiver was a bear. it literally took me longer to drive out this one pin than it did to do everything else. after that, i drove out the gas tube pin, slid the fsb forward and removed the gas tube. snipped the forend cap off with tin snips and made two cuts in the delta ring with a dremel tool. snipped the spring in a couple spots to remove that and removed the retainer clip. cleaned everything up and went forward with the install.

after it was done i noticed that the rail was canted to one side. i loosened the screws that clamp it to the barrel nut and re-tightened them in the lug nut alternating fashion. much better this time. everything is rock solid. it appeared as though the rail already had loctite in the threaded sections? no need for any on the screws?

i mounted the tlr-1 in the 12 oclock position and switched to an lmt fixed rear. i have a primary arms micro dot on it's way to see how i like the red dot idea. i was having trouble deciding between this and a 1-4x scope, but the PA is cheap enough to try out without regret.

i'm headed to the range tomorrow. i'm still on the fence as to the afg vs. vfg. i also have a DD qd sling swivel coming so i can get my sling back on and may upgrade that to a vickers 2 point. for now, i'll be getting back to putting rounds downrange.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7036/6804570010_cc2fff527d_b.jpg

R0CKETMAN
03-03-12, 20:06
Good job. Perfect light placement

SpookyPistolero
03-03-12, 20:12
Cool. I've been considering turning my 6720 into basically that same gun (with a H1 though). I may wait to see how the Troy drop in FSB rails pan out.

RelliK
03-03-12, 20:37
awesome

kartoffel
03-03-12, 21:08
Welcome to the 12 o'clock club. Glad you like the kool aid.

castle
03-03-12, 21:26
thanks guys. i fooled around with the light in other positions, but i must say that 12 oclock makes it easy to actuate the switch (even when transitioning to weak side) and the minimal bbl shadow is actually well below line of sight.

does anyone recommend using loctite on the rail screws?

also any suggestions as to afg vs. vfg are welcome. does one allow more utility than the other?

kartoffel
03-03-12, 22:06

also any suggestions as to afg vs. vfg are welcome. does one allow more utility than the other?

Loctite for sure. Only threads I don't loctite are the ones that take antiseize or staking.

I tried the AFG for a while. It works well for shooting from conventional positions, but I went back to a stubby VFG because it works better when you're in weird positions.

May as well consider just a basic hand stop, too.

ClearedHot
03-03-12, 23:02
Very slick setup

pira114
03-04-12, 03:45
i have a primary arms micro dot on it's way to see how i like the red dot idea. i was having trouble deciding between this and a 1-4x scope, but the PA is cheap enough to try out without regret.

It's not a horrible idea, and I have no experience with the PA micro. I would only have one concern with this idea.

If you "test" the red dot idea with a sub par red dot, and it fails to impress, your opinion of red dots might be that they all suck. Case in point, a buddy of mine thought red dots were stupid and just a fad. He hated them. He tried one on his shotgun. A tasco. Finally, when I convinced him to try Aimpoint, he fell in love with them and has purchased three to date and has no regrets.

It's kinda like buying a cheap used Pinto to see if you'll like Ford products before you decide if you want to buy a new Ford truck. It's not really a fair test.

Might I suggest borrowing one as an alternative?

Casull
03-04-12, 05:26
Bravo! superb upgrades!! Looks sweet, too.

Failure2Stop
03-04-12, 05:48

About the only thing I don't put blue loctite on is pancakes.

AFG/VFG-
Tell me one thing you can do with an AFG that you can't do with a VFG.

houdini23
03-04-12, 07:13
i was having trouble deciding between this and a 1-4x scope, but the PA is cheap enough to try out without regret.

see if you can borrow and try a 1-4x. i put one on mine and love it. my RDS was working well for 100 yards and in but i was struggling past that range. once i got the 1-4x dialed in i never looked back.

castle
03-04-12, 08:57
pira114, i hear ya. i certainly wouldn't judge all red dots from my experience with the PA. i've used aimpoints before (albeit not much). i was mostly trying to decide if it's what i wanted on this particular carbine. i figured the PA gets well enough reviews to use for a trial period.

failure2stop, afg/vfg, i don't really know. i've never used the afg and have minimal experience with a vfg. when you put it like that though, it makes sense. kartoffel mentioning that a vfg is easier to use in awkward positions makes sense too. i'll pick one up today and try it out.

if i knew anyone to borrow optics from, that would be ideal. alas, i am a one man wolf pack. i mostly shoot alone these days, or with a pal that has yet to pick up an ar.

any help with getting the centurion c4 straight? i loosened all the screws and tightened them in an alternating fashion a 1/4-1/2 turn at a time and it's still slightly canted. i don't know if it's enough to matter, but it's visible without actually measuring.

thanks

^Rb
03-04-12, 10:11
Great looking firearm, sir.

Glad to see somebody still rockin' the std. M4 stock. :)

silentmark
03-04-12, 11:15
Looks like some great updates on your rifle, feels good to upgrade your rifle yourself.