PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle break/comp question

karlglen101
03-03-12, 21:11
Hello. I did a few searches looking for details on muzzle breaks and compensators. I really didn't find the details lumped together with good comparisons/reasons that I'm looking for. I'm new to AR's, and looking to get into 3 gun with it. Can you tell me what you think is the best break/compensator out there? I plan on using it on a 16" bbl. I'm not concerned about flash/noise necessarily as this will only be used for competition shooting. However, I'm looking for all of your opinions so that I can do some more research and try to make an informed one. Thanks!

TangoSauce
03-03-12, 21:14
I like BattleComp and KAC triple tap.

The Surefire brake is nice too.

Hmac
03-03-12, 22:20
You mean muzzle brake, not muzzle break.

BattleComp, unless you're rich, in which case get the KAC. You won't notice the difference between the two until your credit card bill comes.

maddawg5777
03-03-12, 23:18
Another vote for the battle comp. For the money you can't go wrong with one on a competition gun.

rob_s
03-04-12, 06:09
For 3 gun you'd be better off asking this on the Brian Enos forum. The Surefire brake (http://www.surefire.com/MB556K-Muzzle-BrakeAdapter) and the Miculek comp (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5573/Product/AR-15-MICULEK-COMP) are both very popular.

Are any of the major competitors on 3-Gun Nation using the BC? The BC is designed to offer a compromise between the negatives of flash/blast with as much "braking" action as they feel they can get away with. 3-Gun competitors aren't going to care about flash/blast and are instead going to want max braking.

wahoo95
03-04-12, 06:22
BC is nice but wouldn't be tops for all out competition like 3 gun. If blast and flash are no issue I suggest the SJC Titan, Cooley Rolling Thunder, JP, or Miculek.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rapomstage3
03-04-12, 06:37
I used a Battle Comp 1.0 for the last year and thought it was awesome. I just switch to an AAC Brakeout to accommodate my future suppressor. Im very impressed with its performance compared to the Battlecomp. Little more side blast but the muzzle stays flat. But even more than the BRAKE. The gas system being atleast midlength is more important to me.

glockshooter
03-04-12, 10:15
If you are serious about the competition you aren't going to be using a BC. The most popular brakes in major 3gun matches are JP's Cooley comp, Sjc's Titan, Benny Hill's Rolling Thunder, and Surefire MB556k. Now these are great choices for match guns, but terrible choices for defensive purposes. If you want something that is good for both roles then the BC or PWS are good choices.

I have personally used the JP, surefire and the SJC. I have been using the SJC for about 4 years and it works great in every aspect of shooting except a roll over prone. I am getting ready to put another upper together and it will have a Surefire on it because it is close to the SJC in performance but is much better for roll over.

Matt

karlglen101
03-04-12, 18:51
Thanks, guys. This helps a lot, and points me in the right direction. I like having choices!

MistWolf
03-04-12, 19:23
Do some more searching. The same question and the same answers have been given several times over even in the last few days.

Bottom line, you won't know what you like until you try it. Scary thought that you might spend a pile of money on a muzzle device until you find one that works, or worse- get stuck with something that doesn't live up to it's hype but you have to pretend you love it to justify to yourself it was money well spent. I like the Battlecomps I'm using but I don't know if they are better enough than what's followed to justify the cost. I don't know because I haven't tried the newer competing designs. BCs are lighter than most of their competition and the machine work is high quality, customer service is top notch. But there are folks who don't think the BC is worth it and those who didn't like it's performance. Just like everything else on your rifle, you won't know what you like until you shoot.

Search the other threads and spend an afternoon or two reading through them, including the monster BC thread that introduced most of us to the Battlecomp. You'll find a wealth of opinions and maybe a fact or two that will help

wahoo95
03-04-12, 20:00
I run a BCis on my primary rifle because while its good at compensation while not being overly blasty and flashy. It is not the best brake nor the best flash hider but does the best hob at trying to do both. For a gaming rifle I would go with a true brake like the Titan or Rolling Thunder.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SanDiegoLMT
03-04-12, 20:25
I really like the Battlecomps. No need to spend $400 on a KAC... you won't notice the difference.