PDA

View Full Version : Stuck crush washer

Steve S.
03-03-12, 23:45
Finally got around to having a few minutes to install my BC1.0, and my damn crush washer is deformed. You can see where one of my carbines many spills left a ding on the oxidizing.

I tried google with no luck. Any pro tips before I go to punches or a cut off wheel?

GTifosi
03-04-12, 00:25
Wire nippers or sheet metal cutters should do fine.
The metal is relatively soft so can cut fairly easy.

Skang
03-04-12, 00:55
Yeah, use Side cutter/Diagonal cutter. Or use very small/skinny flat head screwdriver to bent the washer first. If washer has no area to hold with cutter.

Steve S.
03-04-12, 01:21
Copy all. Let the fun begin.

Come to think about it, I didn't really take care of my stuff as a kid either.

Failure2Stop
03-04-12, 05:36
Copy all. Let the fun begin.

Come to think about it, I didn't really take care of my stuff as a kid either.

Breaking and "fixing" stuff as a kid is what made me realize that cheap usually turned out to be more expensive in the long run.

Anyway-
Have you removed the stock FH yet, or is it stuck on as well?

Steve S.
03-04-12, 10:44
Breaking and "fixing" stuff as a kid is what made me realize that cheap usually turned out to be more expensive in the long run.

Anyway-
Have you removed the stock FH yet, or is it stuck on as well?

And it made me learn the important skill of fixing and rigging things myself. Broke a bunch of windows and mirrors from shooting at your cousin holed up in the upstairs bathroom window during a BB Gun war.... just put some stickers over the cracks and holes, and pray the parents don't notice. Kids these days have it easy with Airsoft.

I agree, the plus to not babying your stuff is you root out anything that can't hold up.

Yea, the A2 came off no problem. The washer is getting hung up on the threads. I tried tapping it back to it's original shape without messing up the threads, with no luck.

EzGoingKev
03-04-12, 11:14
If it is copper or aluminum then just cut it with a pair of dikes.

If it is steel and it is deformed then you could try squeezing it back round to get it off. I would recommend trying a pair of Vise Grip pliers.

ViperRy
03-04-12, 12:56
Take a dremel with cut off wheel and cut into the washer a couple of times. This will make it easier to break off with a pair of dikes.

Steve S.
03-04-12, 15:30
Sounds good.

I'll tell the wife to leave me alone tomorrow night because I've got a date with a pair of dikes.

Seriously though, I'll try and remember to take some photos and upload them for future google searches.

Dillusion
03-06-12, 18:27
Take a dremel with cut off wheel and cut into the washer a couple of times. This will make it easier to break off with a pair of dikes.

I had to do this over the weekend, be careful though you may nick the edge of the thread cut with your dremel wheel.

Sticks
03-07-12, 04:17
If you can't pull it straight off the threads, then unscrew it.