PDA

View Full Version : Best way to trade M&P 9 for 40?

M4CARBINE556
03-04-12, 02:08
Hey everybody, I bought an M&P 9FS a while back and love it, but now I kinda wish I would have bought it in .40, what's my best option for swapping my 9 for a 40? Will I be able to get enough out of my 9 for it to be worth selling / trading, or should I just dish out the money for a another M&P?

CoryCop25
03-04-12, 02:39
There really isn't any good reason to move to the 40 caliber round. There are very good 9MM rounds that will perform as good as if not better than the 40. You are adding extra recoil, diminished accuracy and more wear on the pistol for minimal ballistic results. It is also more expensive to shoot. Get some good defensive ammo like Federal 147gr HST or Winchester 147gr T series and enjoy your soft recoiling, flat shooting 9MM.
Another issue and this is in my personal experience with 3 M&P 40s. One full size and 2 40c pistols, I have had various accuracy and feeding issues with the 40 and zero with the 9MM. I have owned 6 M&P pistols throughout the years. I have 2 left, the 9mm and the 45 mid.

M4CARBINE556
03-04-12, 03:34
There really isn't any good reason to move to the 40 caliber round. There are very good 9MM rounds that will perform as good as if not better than the 40. You are adding extra recoil, diminished accuracy and more wear on the pistol for minimal ballistic results. It is also more expensive to shoot. Get some good defensive ammo like Federal 147gr HST or Winchester 147gr T series and enjoy your soft recoiling, flat shooting 9MM.
Another issue and this is in my personal experience with 3 M&P 40s. One full size and 2 40c pistols, I have had various accuracy and feeding issues with the 40 and zero with the 9MM. I have owned 6 M&P pistols throughout the years. I have 2 left, the 9mm and the 45 mid.
That makes good sense, ill probably just stick with my 9mm. That was my thinking when I bought my M&P, I guess I just started thinking it would be nice to have the extra power of the .40. Now I just have to wait to get my tax return so I can buy some upgrades. Thanks for convincing me I don't need to switch calibers.

Hogsgunwild
03-04-12, 03:53
CoryCop25's advice sounds wise after discovering how much better I shoot my 9MM M&Ps over the .40S&W M&P fullsize (a VTAC) that I rented recently. I was almost blindly sold on purchasing a .40 without even renting one first. I am so glad that I rented one as I found that that particular gun in .40 is just not for me.

I shoot my .40S&W H&K USP Compact, Expert and P2000 very well
(was anticipating my shots on the P2000 LEM for awhile but am over that now) so I was surprised at how much I did not care for the M&P in .40S&W. It just seemed like too much work to make hits with it, unlike my 9MM M&Ps.