PDA

View Full Version : First Gas Piston build. Quad rail selection.

SanDiegoLMT
03-04-12, 12:21
I just this past week built my first gas piston upper using the Adams Arms mid length kit. Along with being my first gas piston build, this is also the first upper that I have built myself. I have always just built pre-built uppers.

My upper as it sits now has the following:
-VLTOR MUR-1 upper (love the flat sides and beefier look)
-Adams Arms mid length kit
-Daniel Defense 16" mid length barrel
-Magpul mid length MOE upper
-Troy battle sights

I really want to install a quad rail on it as I like having the functionality and vast options of what I can mount on it, but am torn between three rails. I have read countless things online and I'm certain all three rails I'm interested in will work with my kit. First up is a Daniel Defense Lite 9.0, second is a Daniel Defense Omega X 9.0 and third is a mid length Samson Star-M.

I have never owned an Omega or Omega X, but have owned two Lite rails and loved them. I do like the QD swivels offered with the Omega X and it would take the top of the list, but I am not entirely convinced by the way in which it is secured.

If anyone can provide insight or even pictures on a similar mid length piston setup, that would be great especially if it's an Omega X.

BrigandTwoFour
03-04-12, 12:33
If you're using a MOE handguard right now, is it safe to assume you're also running a FSB in place?

Do you plan on removing the FSB and putting a low profile gas block in (or grinding down the FSB)?

That will change your options quite a bit.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Centurion Arms rails, since they'll use your barrel nut already in place. The DD rails are nice as well.

SanDiegoLMT
03-04-12, 12:44
It's a gas piston, so it has the gas block. I too like centurion rails but they require a bit of modifying to work with Adams arms.

Pax
03-04-12, 12:47
When I built my AA upper, I used a DD 9.5" FSP Lite so as to be able to get my hand farther out on the weapon. That was back when I hadnt heard of Samson. If I had known that they were an option, I would have tried out a Samson rail. It was also back when I still believed in pistons.

And frankly I couldnt care less if you dont believe in modular rail systems. You built a piston AR. Nuff said.

Jambi
03-04-12, 12:54
The carbine version of what you are discussing, with Samson Evo forearm.
Here:

SanDiegoLMT
03-04-12, 12:57
If you don't mind me asking, what were you qualms with the piston build?

I'm not in a huge hurry to buy a rail, so I'm ok with waiting for my best options. The MOE will tie me over for a bit.

Tzook
03-04-12, 16:17
The carbine version of what you are discussing, with Samson Evo forearm.
Here:

That's nearly identical to what I run, and it's outstanding.

IMO, the piston just isn't necessary. Theoretically, it is more reliable, but if guys in Afghanistan can't tell there's a problem with the DI system, you sure as hell won't. Only real advantage is gas settings for shooting suppressed.

Failure2Stop
03-04-12, 16:57
Why don't you save a bunch of money and effort and just get your mounting solutions from IWC / Mount in Slot?

SanDiegoLMT
03-04-12, 20:22
Settled my dilemma. Decided to stick with what I'm familiar with and bought a "like new" condition Lite 9.0 rail from a fellow forum member.

I guess my issue was that there's so many good quality rails. I do like the Magpul MOE stuff, but as odd as it may seem, I do like the feel of a quad rail with ladder covers. I also do have some aesthetic tastes that I look for in my rifles.

Hopefully it arrives this week. I have recently acquired all the tools and armorer's block and am having fun taking apart and reconfiguring all of my own stuff. Gives me a whole new sense of freedom with firearms.