PDA

View Full Version : Melonite vs Chrome barrels

oneyeopn
03-04-12, 13:20
Ok I have a Sport, No I am not in the middle east but I live in a very dusty part of the United States. I put a 4-16x40 scope on it and have been enjoying blowing up PDogs at up to 250 yards. The barrel is a 1-8 5R progressive twist barrel, Just like the M24 sniper rifle. If you gentlemen would care to read some real world information on Melonite you will find that compared to Hard Chrome it beats it in every category. It is not a plating it is a surface treatment that takes the .05" of outer material and changes it on a molecular level. It is not going to burn out or chip like Chrome lined barrels and after the treatment you dont have to ream it and it doesn't have a variable layer of material it is consistent.

http://www.burlingtoneng.com/wear_resistance.html

this link compares Melonite to Chrome and not by a gun company trying to prove a point.

http://www.burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html

the one above describes how the process is done and what it entails.

http://firearmshistory.blogspot.com/2010/08/metal-treatments-ferritic.html

and this last one describes the corrosion resistance of Melonite over Chrome.

http://www.burlingtoneng.com/corrosion_resistance.html

Please try to remember that milspec is something that is stated so the lowest bidder can meet certain specifications.

oneyeopn
03-04-12, 13:26
I didnt approach this correctly and I apologize if I offended anyone!!

Sry0fcr
03-04-12, 13:41
Please try to remember that milspec is something that is stated so the lowest bidder can meet certain specifications.

Not true. Mil spec is what the military specified because that's what they determined that they wanted or needed. Nothing more nothing less.

quincy
03-04-12, 14:01
" Obermeyer 5R land profile, which tapers the land on one side. Claimed 5R benefits are reduced fouling, better gas sealing, and higher velocities. We do think that cut-rifled barrels, in general, tend to exhibit long useful life. Metal stress is minimized with cut-rifling, and this method, when done right, produces bores which are very uniform and concentric. "

And from Obermeyer's site...........................

What does it mean when a barrel is said to be a "5R"?

5R is the form of rifling I developed for use in most target barrels and in many sporting barrels.
These barrels have 5 grooves, and the lands have angular sides. I have observed that bullet jackets
will deform such that they remain closer to the R-form lands than they will to the sharp-edged
lands present in conventional-style rifling. This reduces powder fouling at the corners of the
grooves. The angled form of the lands also helps to reduce jacket failures in quick-twist barrels.

My main point is to state my impression that the Sport's bbl. is superior in many ways to the std. 1/9 twist chrome lined used on many other AR's. If you do research you will find that some of the best as you would call "Top Tier" manufacturers are going to this style of processing because it is so much better than the old traditional way of doing things.:dance3:

Are you Henry from AR15performance?

oneyeopn
03-04-12, 17:14
Not Hardly, I am someone who has read all these posts in this forum about how lowlife ignorant people are the only ones who would by a S&W, someone who has side by side with his S&W compared Colts and DPMS's. Someone who has been in Combat on two different continents from Jungle to Desert and really just got tired of reading just how stupid I must be and finally decided to say something to the computer chair combatants in this forum. I havent heard of the other forum you just mentioned, I just know when I would search for something this forum always came up and usually the threads had someone running the M&P's into the ground. I just got tired of listening to how Chrome lined barrels are the top of the line. It just seems the mindset in here is stuck in the same era as reel to reel tape players and phonographs. And according to the same people we need to stay with the original technology that Eugene Stoner had at his Disposal when he first designed the AR. But thank you for posting back to me. I just thought that I would try to show people that we dont have to live with a three on the tree!!!

Koshinn
03-04-12, 17:45
Not true. Mil spec is what the military specified because that's what they determined that they wanted or needed. Nothing more nothing less.

The thing is, the government is required by law to put any contract out for bid over a certain cost ($2000 I think?). "Mil-spec" most likely comes from the requirements of that contract. The company that can meet the requirements and bids the lowest wins the contract. If the contract was for M4 carbines and the TDP utilized H buffers, but Company B said they'd install H2 buffers and Vltor A5 stock kits for only a tiny price higher than Company A's purely TDP M4, Company A would win the contract because although their product is technically "inferior," it's mil spec and they'd be the lowest bidder.

So anyway, oneyeopn is correct.

Col_Crocs
03-04-12, 17:55
Milspec is milspec and while i think it's a good standard, i dont see anything wrong with deviating from it for the right reasons. In fact, I am all for it. That said, I think people are very interested, if not, atleast curious about the VTAC/SW rifle. I certainly am. I have no hard experience with melonite other than owning an M&P pistol but from the provided tech info here and on the other thread, it looks very promising. Now on the 5R rifling, on top of the points youve provided, IINM, ive read somewhere that it also provides very good velocity... Somewhere along the lines of a 12.5 yielding higher velocities than a standard 14.5 in 5.56. What Im trying to say is, i think opinions will change as more hard data come in.

BAC
03-04-12, 18:33

Why do people keep saying this, least of all say it like it's a bad thing? The spec is listed and companies compete against each other to provide a product that meets that spec at the lowest price. It's not "lowest bidder decides spec". It's "lowest bidder agreeing to meet listed spec".

-B

lethal dose
03-04-12, 18:46
i think that you're reading things out of context. i don't know a single person here that would openly bash s&w. in some of their lower level carbines, it is known that they use parts and metals of lower quality.

Fried Chicken Blowout
03-04-12, 19:00
The OP is correct. Melonite is superior to chrome lining. But this being the internet it is almost an alternate reality were facts are under rated and opinion is over rated. Basically, you end up arguing about something that doesn't matter because you'll never see most of these people in your entire life and what they think is fact shouldn't matter one bit to you. Just smile and know you're right. I try not to post too much on forums because I find many of the responses painful and or aggressive. Its almost like people feel they need to prove you wrong to make themselves feel good.

!Nvasi0n
03-04-12, 20:06
I agree, the more data coming through...the more people will maybe get on board with melonite. It's definitely more accurate. I just wish (even as a M&P-15 Sport owner) that the barrel substrate material was Mil-spec and not 4140. I also wish that the coating on the receivers was Mil-Spec type 3 class 2 hard coat anodized...and not whatever the **** S&W uses on this particular line because it is NOT as durable as type 3 class 2 mil spec anodizing

BUT, back to the OP's post...(not weather the Sport or VTAC are good rifles or not)

As for strictly a barrel versus barrel difference...again as so often is stated the mission drives the gear.

If accuracy is what you are after...go melonite! If durability and resistance to heat an high pressure is key...then Duh :) chrome hands down

oneyeopn
03-04-12, 22:15
i think that you're reading things out of context. i don't know a single person here that would openly bash s&w. in some of their lower level carbines, it is known that they use parts and metals of lower quality.
Old 06-21-11, 18:45
scottryan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDakota View Post
Not sure what to think as if S&W has perfected the Melonite process in the barrels, I wonder if it would be a 'game changer' in barrel mfr?

Do you happen to know the service life of the CL Noveskes?

170,000 rounds costs $77,000

I don't believe the SW test.

I don't care about a bottom feeding AR-15 that sells for $700 that is made for losers, inbreds, and bubbas at sporting goods stores.

A CL hammer forged barrel made from CMV steel will outlasted a cut or button rifled barrel made out of inferior 4140 steel, especially when the throat is burned away regardless of surface treatment.

Melonite or any other treatment cannot stop throat erosion from burning high pressure gun powder.
Last edited by scottryan; 06-21-11 at 18:56
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
#13 Report Post
Old 06-21-11, 18:48

Sir here is one of the posts, I do appreciate your response but as you can see I am taking nothing out of context. Doing a search this was the first posting that came up and I was stunned! But thanks for your response.

lethal dose
03-04-12, 22:36
First off, understand that scottryan is a bit unorthodox in his delivery methods... look at any of his posts. Secondly, the gun he's referring to is a $700 4140 ar. There is no doubt that it's a mid grade gun at best. The edge is given to it only because s&w makes it. Melonite or not, that is inferior quality steel. With that said, $700 is a fair price for said weapon. Did you sign up just so you could defend a past purchace?
Old 06-21-11, 18:45
scottryan Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDakota View Post
Not sure what to think as if S&W has perfected the Melonite process in the barrels, I wonder if it would be a 'game changer' in barrel mfr?

Do you happen to know the service life of the CL Noveskes?

170,000 rounds costs $77,000

I don't believe the SW test.

I don't care about a bottom feeding AR-15 that sells for $700 that is made for losers, inbreds, and bubbas at sporting goods stores.

A CL hammer forged barrel made from CMV steel will outlasted a cut or button rifled barrel made out of inferior 4140 steel, especially when the throat is burned away regardless of surface treatment.

Melonite or any other treatment cannot stop throat erosion from burning high pressure gun powder.
Last edited by scottryan; 06-21-11 at 18:56
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message
#13 Report Post
Old 06-21-11, 18:48

Sir here is one of the posts, I do appreciate your response but as you can see I am taking nothing out of context. Doing a search this was the first posting that came up and I was stunned! But thanks for your response.

GunnutAF
03-04-12, 23:08
oneyeopn
Forget it pal your fighting a loosing battle if you think you can change one mind here. The TDP is ingrained in these guys DNA and can't be seperated with logic! :D

MikeCLeonard
03-04-12, 23:36
"Ok I have a Sport"
Ok...so you're here to defend your pet rifle...and you feel you need to justify your purchase to a bunch of people you don't know?

"I put a 4-16x40 scope on it and have been enjoying blowing up PDogs at up to 250 yards."
If you bought it to blow up PDogs and it does that job well for you...then you're all set.

"If you gentlemen would care to read some real world information on Melonite you will find that compared to Hard Chrome it beats it in every category. It is not a plating it is a surface treatment that takes the .05" of outer material and changes it on a molecular level."
Are you assuming that most people here don't know the potential merits of Melonite? I must have missed the melonite bashing threads

"It is not going to burn out or chip like Chrome lined barrels"
Yeaahhh...it will burn out...but you're right, it won't chip...which is awesome because chipped chrome-lined barrels are a runaway train that cannot be stopped...it's like a pandemic! For reals...like it happens all the time!!! :eek:

BAC
03-05-12, 00:00
oneyeopn
Forget it pal your fighting a loosing battle if you think you can change one mind here. The TDP is ingrained in these guys DNA and can't be seperated with logic! :D

That's odd, because I can think of several well-thought-of members who have been commenting in support of nitrocarburized barrels vs chrome lining. To say nothing of other non-TDP recommendations that have been made throughout the years here like smarter barrel profiles, improved bolt and carrier designs, better buffer systems, improved muzzle devices, improved grips, stock, handguards...

-B

justin_247
03-05-12, 01:52
scottryan

I'm not one to normally defend scottryan... I think he's a zealot who sometimes speaks too quickly before thinking things over or double checking the facts.

That being said, he's extremely knowledgeable and I welcome his criticism of what people have been saying about S&W's claim about round counts on their barrels. I'd like to see it actually published, because I think that claim is wildly off the mark. It seems like something you'd hear from Red Jacket...

And scottryan probably the only person on this site who has "bashed" S&W. Other than that, most people on here have stated that S&W is of acceptable quality, although they've also noted that there are better options.

constructor
03-05-12, 01:57
Are you Henry from AR15performance?

Actually it's not Henry but, I'm sure I get called a lot of things LOl

anthony1
03-05-12, 01:59
l dont know what your all pissy about OP, the posting from m4 members in regards to melonite treating has been generally overwhelmingly supportive and curious rather than negative.

Most people here also regard the mp sport as an ok choice for a plinker rifle just not a rifle for duty or hard use. Any way you slice it the mp sport is no tier 1 rifle. Now quit seeking validation for your purchase and lighten up a bit.

constructor
03-05-12, 02:16
I'm not one to normally defend scottryan... I think he's a zealot who sometimes speaks too quickly before thinking things over or double checking the facts.

That being said, he's extremely knowledgeable and I welcome his criticism of what people have been saying about S&W's claim about round counts on their barrels. I'd like to see it actually published, because I think that claim is wildly off the mark. It seems like something you'd hear from Red Jacket...

And scottryan probably the only person on this site who has "bashed" S&W. Other than that, most people on here have stated that S&W is of acceptable quality, although they've also noted that there are better options.

Yeah I agree with that, I've seen him call people fn retards when he clearly has no experience in what he was talking about. If someone shoots rifles and they're good at it stick with those topics, if they don't manufacture rifles they shouldn't talk about it like they know how to.
Not aimed at anyone in particular here. As far as CM and QPQ- Barrels aren't that expensive, buy 1 of each and 2 tins of ammo. Go to the range burn up a tin in each barrel as fast as possible to reload and then look at both barrels through a borescope. No one has to believe what anyone else says do the testing for yourself.
I like testing barrels, I choose the one that works best for me not the one the mil says works best for them.

Iraqgunz
03-05-12, 02:41
Says Ye, O defender of the bottom tier AR's who thinks MILSPEC is overrated.

oneyeopn

hotrodder636
03-05-12, 03:03
Says Ye, O defender of the bottom tier AR's who thinks MILSPEC is overrated.

(Shields Up) I am most definitely not saying you are wrong by any means IG, as a former service member I can appreciate the MILSPEC, but when was the TDP for an M4/AR put together? How often has it been updated? Is it possible that the GOV has been content with what they have and really haven't looked into newer technologies? I read post after post on here from guys in theatre who have and have made recommendations, as well as you, but those aren't MILSPEC? I understand MILSPEC is a starting point but is there not room for improvement?

justin_247
03-05-12, 04:17
(Shields Up) I am most definitely not saying you are wrong by any means IG, as a former service member I can appreciate the MILSPEC, but when was the TDP for an M4/AR put together? How often has it been updated? Is it possible that the GOV has been content with what they have and really haven't looked into newer technologies? I read post after post on here from guys in theatre who have and have made recommendations, as well as you, but those aren't MILSPEC? I understand MILSPEC is a starting point but is there not room for improvement?

The problem here is that the person IG is referring to defends weapons that can't even meet the minimum specifications outlined by the TDP, much less go above and beyond them.

The TDP has been updated numerous, numerous times.

Are there are some better technologies, like CHF barrels, A5 receiver extensions, full ambi lower receivers, flash hiders, etc.? Yes. But are they necessary? No. They're possibly improvements, depending on the mission.

But that's totally different from defending sub-par weapons with sub-par workmanship that would get rejected at a Colt factory.

Iraqgunz
03-05-12, 04:26
The problem is that people complain about MILSPEC or the TDP, yet they will contend that their company is great when it can't even meet the minimum of standards.

I agree that things change and their are certain products and accessories that I would choose over others.

But, there are certain aspects that I would never consider cutting corners on.

Gun
03-05-12, 08:23
Is there an advantage to melonite on 4140 over CMV, or is this comparable to having a Hyundai painted by Aston Marton?:confused:

Sry0fcr
03-05-12, 09:55
Is there an advantage to melonite on 4140 over CMV, or is this comparable to having a Hyundai painted by Aston Marton?:confused:

No, not really. Some will say that CMV is a "superior" steel. I'll say that from an engineering and quality standpoint (like everything else) it's absolutely application dependent.

Sry0fcr
03-05-12, 10:07
The problem is that people complain about MILSPEC or the TDP, yet they will contend that their company is great when it can't even meet the minimum of standards.

The problem here is that "standards" and "customer satisfaction" aren't static positions. Application is the context we should use when making and responding to these kind of statements.

There's no such thing as good/better/best. Something either meets requirements or it doesn't.

Note: requirements may vary.

constructor
03-05-12, 10:27

What I can tell you from drilling though the different barrels that have been melonite treated. The hard layer is much thicker on a 4150CMV barrel than a 4140 barrel. A plain HS drill bit will zip right through a parkerized chrome lined barrel but without starting the hole (breaking though the layer)with a center drill a HS drill will not drill a Melonite barrel. A stub length carbide drill will drill through a melonite barrel if it doesn't walk on the surface.

MikeCLeonard
03-05-12, 10:46
The problem here is that "standards" and "customer satisfaction" aren't static positions. Application is the context we should use when making and responding to these kind of statements.

There's no such thing as good/better/best. Something either meets requirements or it doesn't.

Note: requirements may vary.

You're correct for the most part, but again...the problem here is that this forum is not geared towards discussions of which rifles are best for blowing away prairie-dogs.

I don't go to bench-rest rifle forums and start piping off about how awesome my LMT is at slinging 2,000 rounds in a weekend, and then proceed to challenge everyone's conventions because they don't align with the goals or intended purpose I have for my rifle.

There ARE widely recognized minimum standards for a fighting AR15...and the ops rifle does not meet those standards...it's as simple as that. He just doesn't like the standards and applications valued here...so now he feels the need to prove to everyone that WE are the problem because he doesn't like what he reads about his own purchase. Melonite is a good barrel treatment, and many people here agree on that...but just because he has a melonited barrel does not mean his rifle is equal to other rifles that don't cut corners elsewhere.

The equation driving his thought process here is all ****ed.

Sgt_Gold
03-05-12, 13:26

The TDP exists because the DOD tested different materials and processes and adopted a standardized set of specifications, i.e. milspec. The milspec TDP has been proven to work, and in the case of chrome lined barrels they last as long as the DOD needs them to last, so why change?

As to the 'low bidder' statement, give it a rest. The low bidder doesn't win the contract, it's the lowest responsible bidder. If you've ever been involved in contracting you'd know this.

Now on to Melonite. Many firearms manufacturers use some version of the nitrocarburizing process and call it by their own trade name. It's a proven process for the exterior and wear surfaces of a firearm, but no one has tested it to the extent that hard chroming has been tested as it pertains to the interior of a barrel. Until this kind of testing is performed, people are going to be skeptical as to it's performance in the real world.

Tzook
03-05-12, 13:40
l dont know what your all pissy about OP, the posting from m4 members in regards to melonite treating has been generally overwhelmingly supportive and curious rather than negative.

Most people here also regard the mp sport as an ok choice for a plinker rifle just not a rifle for duty or hard use. Any way you slice it the mp sport is no tier 1 rifle. Now quit seeking validation for your purchase and lighten up a bit.

This. I would consider myself to be an average end user, probably with a good deal more knowledge than most. (Thanks to M4C.) I have heard very little, here or otherwise, about the topic. I'm certainly open to different methods of coating, and won't be butthurt at all if it turns out there are more benefits to this than there are to chrome.

Sry0fcr
03-05-12, 13:49
It's a proven process for the exterior and wear surfaces of a firearm, but no one has tested it to the extent that hard chroming has been tested as it pertains to the interior of a barrel.

That's not entirely accurate, there's a .pdf of testing the military did on machinegun barrels that were Stellite lined, chrome lined, and nitro carburized floating around the interwebs somewhere...

Edit: Bah, I thought I had it saved but can't find it. I did Google some interesting stuff on Tantalum lined Bushmaster (no, not that Bushmaster) tubes. Cool shit.

hotrodder636
03-05-12, 16:28
Justin and IG, thanks for the replies.

That's not entirely accurate, there's a .pdf of testing the military did on machinegun barrels that were Stellite lined, chrome lined, and nitro carburized floating around the interwebs somewhere...

Edit: Bah, I thought I had it saved but can't find it. I did Google some interesting stuff on Tantalum lined Bushmaster (no, not that Bushmaster) tubes. Cool shit.

I would be curious to see what the results of using the stellite was....I know that this material is used in Reactor coolant systems as a bearing material for 100% continuous duty pumps and I know of a particular set of these pumps that has been running without bearing replacement for more than 30 years...

GunnutAF
03-05-12, 18:55
BAC
So will the bashing, belittling of any that isn't TDP stop then? :blink:

BAC
03-05-12, 21:37
Start quoting me examples of people bashing something because it's not in the TDP.

What I see are people bashing companies who cannot meet the easily-met TDP standards. I see people bashing companies who willingly choose inferior (read: lower quality, less reliable, etc.) parts when deviating from the fairly well-known standards of the TDP. By and large members here consider the TDP standards to be the minimum standards for reliable fighting rifles. Keep in mind the site audience: M4C focuses less on the hobbyists and more on the shooters.

-B

RyanS
03-05-12, 21:41
Okay, I'm going to derail the mil spec is good/mil spec is bad thing for a second. Can one send off a barrel for say, a DSA SA58 which is not chrome-lined, and have it melonited?

BAC
03-05-12, 22:55
Yes. Unless there is something very special about that particular barrel, anyway. Typically melonited barrels are not chrome-lined; the nitride treatment and chrome lining are not mutually exclusive, but they do compete in the same role.

-B

Sry0fcr
03-06-12, 08:22
Justin and IG, thanks for the replies.

I would be curious to see what the results of using the stellite was....I know that this material is used in Reactor coolant systems as a bearing material for 100% continuous duty pumps and I know of a particular set of these pumps that has been running without bearing replacement for more than 30 years...

Well the M60E3 ended up with a Stellite liner as well as the M2 if that's any indication... But we're talking about rifle barrels and not medium and heavy machine guns. Personally, I think that nitro carburization is fit for purpose and probably preferable based on my [moderate] technical knowledge.

TMS951
03-06-12, 10:10
Two things I think melonite would be very useful for is for SS barrels like Noveske. I have a Noveske SPR barrel in a Vltor vis I wish I had had it melonited when it was new.

The other use that I think would go great on a some thing like the Forged FN barrels, If melonite doe not change the dimensions of the barrel, and does have some undeniable benefits I would love to see a forged barrel that gets melonited, than has the bore chromed after.

Sry0fcr
03-06-12, 14:36
Two things I think melonite would be very useful for is for SS barrels like Noveske. I have a Noveske SPR barrel in a Vltor vis I wish I had had it melonited when it was new.

The other use that I think would go great on a some thing like the Forged FN barrels, If melonite doe not change the dimensions of the barrel, and does have some undeniable benefits I would love to see a forged barrel that gets melonited, than has the bore chromed after.

There's no advantage to meloniting a SS match barrel. A chromoly melonited match barrel [theoretically speaking, I don't have the money to acutally do a comparison] should shoot just as well, AND have improved errosion and corrosion resistance. Barrel makers tend to use SS because it's easier to machine. Chroming the bore on top of a melonited substrate is kind of counter productive as well IMO.

TMS951
03-07-12, 08:33
It would seem to me that melonite would help on a stainless barrel. Since melonite hardens the surface, it would last longer then an untreated stainless barrel. Also though I have not experienced this, I have heard stainless barrels do rust a little.

Based on the indisputable facts of what melonite does, I do not see how it would not extend the life of a stainless barrel. It also should not change the accuracy.

Melonite under chrome is a bit of an overkill, I see how it would not really extent the life of the bore anymore, but it would be nice to have the anticorrosion on the rest of the barrel.

Mjolnir
03-08-12, 18:45
One can use "inferior" alloys as long as one EFFECTIVELY utilizes a heat treating process that addresses the failure mode of the component.

Barrels don't fail, per se, because of the bulk properties of the alloy - its the surface (and a few microns beneath) that matter - this the hard chrome, stellite and SBN.

Other things contribute just as much as alloy: quality assurance and control of the various methods of producing said barrel as well as chamber dimensions.

I want my firearms, Porsche GT2 RS 3.8L and GT3 RS 4.0L and my body made of unobtanium. But that's just me.

I spend too much time wondering "how to" and "what if" when it comes to subjects relating to this.

Unfortunately, ALL have a "best used by" date. And it will remain that way. I just wish the Pleiadeans or Sirians would replace all I own with near identical stock of a vastly superior alloy... Sigh...

Buck1122
03-08-12, 21:00
Well, this is one interesting thread. I for one own several AR's for several different purposes....the most recent being a S&W M&P with the melonite treatment.

I shoot my LWRC for extreme accuracy needs and to know that it will stand up to pretty much anything I can possibly throw at it....it's not being used in the sandbox so unless I put some screwed up load in it and maintain it I expect it to last longer than I will.

Now, the S&W M&P with the melonite treatment is used for different purposes. Its not meant to shoot as far but inside of 600 yards I expect it to perform just as good as any other AR. AR is an AR. If I wear out the barrel out experience corrosion then S&W will be replacing it under warranty.

So, in my two cents buy whatever your budget can afford as long as its quality and has a goood warranty. The probability of issues using today's technology is pretty damn small if you take care of your rig.

Happy Trigger Time.

ucrt
03-08-12, 21:27

... AR is an AR. ...

So, in my two cents buy whatever your budget can afford as long as its quality and has a goood warranty. The probability of issues using today's technology is pretty damn small if you take care of your rig.

Happy Trigger Time.

==================================

Just in case any new guy happened to read the above post, please try your best to unread it ASAP.
It is full of fail and is contradictory to the purpose of this site. :fie:

This time...it ain't me...

Buck1122
03-08-12, 22:03
Read my email my friend....how you interpret is up to you. An AR is An AR....unless we are comparing DI to piston guns.

"buy whatever your budget can afford as long as its quality and has a goood warranty". If you want me to translate that means buy quality gear with a good warranty and your problems should be limited and even if you do have a problem the manufacturer will replace via warranty. I am not advocating crappy weapons. I use mine for duty you so I give a damn whats in my hands and how well it works.

Most people just shoot paper or go to the range and shoot for groups...doesnt mean they can get awaw with buying crap parts and expecting it not to fail.

Sorry - but dont misread my comments.

JSantoro
03-09-12, 08:19
All right, we'll add some weight to the statement, then....

Just in case any new guy happened to read the post three posts above this one, please try your best to unread it ASAP.
It is full of fail and is contradictory to the purpose of this site.

Gross oversimplifications like "...an AR is an AR...," are simply not helpful from an adult-learning standpoint. Curiously, being wrong from a technical standpoint will DO that.

Don't tell folks to not misread your comments when you deliberately post commentary that's easily misread. The comment from above is diametrically opposed, both linguistically and technically (and regardless of gas system), to your post immediately above...whether you know it or not.

All the condescending "my friending" in the world isn't going to change that, so maybe stop smoothing your eyebrows with your pinky and do some reading.

constructor
03-09-12, 11:26
Well, this is one interesting thread. I for one own several AR's for several different purposes....the most recent being a S&W M&P with the melonite treatment.

I shoot my LWRC for extreme accuracy needs and to know that it will stand up to pretty much anything I can possibly throw at it....it's not being used in the sandbox so unless I put some screwed up load in it and maintain it I expect it to last longer than I will.

Now, the S&W M&P with the melonite treatment is used for different purposes. Its not meant to shoot as far but inside of 600 yards I expect it to perform just as good as any other AR. AR is an AR. If I wear out the barrel out experience corrosion then S&W will be replacing it under warranty.

Happy Trigger Time.
Actually normal wear and tear is not covered under warranty and if you spend $20,000 to wear out a $200 barrel then you can probably afford a new barrel when and if it goes south.

oneyeopn
03-09-12, 20:48
Wow, I realized that I approached this wrong, and got off on the wrong foot because of someones post which does not seem to be the standard consensus of this forum. But boy did it get ridden into the ground. I apologized and let it go after the first few posts that let me know that I had approached this wrong. But now I do understand why people in other forums say what they do about this forum. Forgive me gentlemen and ladies, I never intended to bruise any egos but I evidently have completely offended some sensibilities. Have a good day and enjoy your weapons of choice.:bad: