PDA

View Full Version : Permed suppresor?

sapper36
03-04-12, 13:43
I hate to ask this and I understand that it is a stupid question, however getting ready to retire and move to Michigan. They allow suppresors but no SBR. I have spoken with the attorney general there and I dont have to many options, I do have one but not to sure if that will work out. So my question is, can a can be permed to a barrel to bring it to the 16" mark? And how many problems would be associated with doing that? Thanks

Javelin
03-04-12, 13:49
I don't see any major problems per-say. But cleaning the gun is going to be interesting if you lose your patch in the baffels.

:D

Iraqgunz
03-04-12, 14:14
It's a very bad idea for a variety of reasons. Get a 16" barrel and the smallest functional suppressor you can.

blcouch
03-08-12, 20:24
There is a concept (some company markets it as the sbx, maybe tacsol). Where you perm a slotted sleeve to bring oal to 16" and the can fits inside. Legal length, removable can. Ymmv.

kmrtnsn
03-08-12, 21:20
Wouldn't a perm'd Surefire FH on a 14.5" and a Surefire mini-can be the best solution to this problem?

TehLlama
03-09-12, 11:45
Wouldn't a perm'd Surefire FH on a 14.5" and a Surefire mini-can be the best solution to this problem?

That matches what IG suggested, and would mirror my recommendation as well - if writing off an upper in one configuration was already on the table, then perming a muzzle device is actually a far more logical option - same could be done with other suppressor makes, but among the mini cans the Surefire performs best.

Todd.K
03-09-12, 13:07
If you understand the limitations I don't think it's so bad for some uses. You can't use the silencer on multiple different rifles. You can't clean it as well so it shouldn't be a hard use training gun. If you want a suppressed rifle as short as possible in a non SBR State decide if it's worth it for your needs/wants.

Don't clean the bore like normal. Maybe pull a boresnake through it occasionally. Don't use a lot of solvent or oil that will build up in the silencer or patches that could get stuck.

You should use a 16" barrel cut down without enlarging the gas port, so it's not overgassed.

jesuvuah
03-09-12, 13:21
I live in MI and our no SBR thing is what I hate most about our state. I plan to do an ar pistol to fit my sbr needs. Not as good, but as close as I can get. Another thing to pre warn you about, any rifle that is under 30" must be registered as a pistol. I have an AK with a folding stock that is registered because it measures in around 27" when folded.

kmrtnsn
03-09-12, 21:03
That matches what IG suggested, and would mirror my recommendation as well - if writing off an upper in one configuration was already on the table, then perming a muzzle device is actually a far more logical option - same could be done with other suppressor makes, but among the mini cans the Surefire performs best.

Agreed, Iraqgunz and I have talked about this matter before and I think I can safely say that we both agree (If he doesn't then I fully expect him to come in here and bitch slap me into correctness!) that 16" barrel is generally, the best all around barrel length for the vast majority of applications as it doesn't saddle the owner with one permanent configuration; as times changes and parts are improved a 16" owner can swap muzzle devices, gas blocks, etc. at will, with a minimum of fuss and for the majority of owners the small difference between 14.5" and 16" just isn't worth the pinning hassle. There are, however, times where a pinned muzzle device is the way to go and when someone just has to have the shortest, legal barrel length then pinning a device on a 14.5" is the only legal alternative. My can experience is limited. I am sure that there are as many brands as there are AR manufacturers but the only ones I have handled are the Surefires. If anyone makes a shorter can, please post what it is and educate us (me).

ccosby
03-09-12, 21:23
There is a concept (some company markets it as the sbx, maybe tacsol). Where you perm a slotted sleeve to bring oal to 16" and the can fits inside. Legal length, removable can. Ymmv.

http://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/Flash-Hiders_c_8.html

I haven't tried these OP but this is one of the options blcouch was talking about. Allows you to remove the suppressor from the barrel while keeping it legal length.

Past that doing a permanent mount of the suppressor is an option. Not one I'd prefer to do but if it came down to it I could see myself doing it as well. Lucky for me I can have both sbr's and suppressors where I live.

romanowe
03-09-12, 22:12
Someone else in Michigan did a permanently attached barrel shroud that allowed for the removal of the supressor:

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=150731&page=4

sapper36
03-10-12, 10:09
Thanks everyone. For now I am thinking about a 14"ish barrel with a AAC permed brakeout or something similar, just to get it right at the 16" mark and then use the mini 4. That one only adds 2.8"s to the length so that would put me just over 18"s which while not the best is still ok. In talking to the attorney general I can get a curio and relic collector license and then attempt to register an upper that way.

rjrivero
03-10-12, 10:45
I hate to ask this and I understand that it is a stupid question, however getting ready to retire and move to Michigan. They allow suppresors but no SBR. I have spoken with the attorney general there and I dont have to many options, I do have one but not to sure if that will work out. So my question is, can a can be permed to a barrel to bring it to the 16" mark? And how many problems would be associated with doing that? Thanks

My brother lives in Michigan, and we built this upper for his 9mm AR to satisfy the 16" barrel mark.

We had Adco make the adapter and perm attached the "muzzle device" with blind pinning to make the 16" mark. The suppressor (Trident-9) threads to the barrel under the "muzzle device." The actual barrel is about 9" and the muzzle device is long enough to bring the OAL to 16.25". With the trident-9 and the threaded adapter on it, it brings the barrel to 16.75".

I'm sure a quick detach .223 can could be used in a similar fashion.

http://www.revolverforums.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=46&pictureid=286

Iraqgunz
03-10-12, 11:32
Correct. I also agree with TehLlama as well. If I had to jump through serious stupid hoops, then I would probably opt for a pinned 14.5" since weight and overall length are the goal.

Agreed, Iraqgunz and I have talked about this matter before and I think I can safely say that we both agree (If he doesn't then I fully expect him to come in here and bitch slap me into correctness!) that 16" barrel is generally, the best all around barrel length for the vast majority of applications as it doesn't saddle the owner with one permanent configuration; as times changes and parts are improved a 16" owner can swap muzzle devices, gas blocks, etc. at will, with a minimum of fuss and for the majority of owners the small difference between 14.5" and 16" just isn't worth the pinning hassle. There are, however, times where a pinned muzzle device is the way to go and when someone just has to have the shortest, legal barrel length then pinning a device on a 14.5" is the only legal alternative. My can experience is limited. I am sure that there are as many brands as there are AR manufacturers but the only ones I have handled are the Surefires. If anyone makes a shorter can, please post what it is and educate us (me).

RyanB
03-10-12, 14:06
I had a 6920 cut to 10.7 inches or so and a Ranger 2 welded on. It had plenty of gas even with the .063" port. If I could do it again I'd use an MRP upper. Remember that you have to have access to the gas system. A moe or USGI handguard would work too. Mine is welded but the new Ranger 3 with inconel guts and wrench flats for pinning would be ideal. The length is a concern but 16" rifles with cans swing poorly. This thing is about the same length past the muzzle as a Surefire 212 but also about five ounces lighter because it's thread on. It's not ideal for classes but it sits by my bed and I shoot other rifles more.

Seth247
03-10-12, 22:24
I think the best solution for this is to not move into anti-gun states. Vote with your feet folks.