PDA

View Full Version : FYI for smart phone users

Todd00000
03-04-12, 14:06
They have first aid apps now and since most of my training is for traumatic injury it's nice to have a handy guide for things like choking, heart attacks etc. I paid .99 cents for Emergency First Aid for my iphone.

Texas42
03-04-12, 16:06
I bet the first line is, Dial 9-1-1.

I bet the last line is something like, "This should not be used for the treatment of people."

drrufo
03-04-12, 18:05
Not to be a smart ass, BUT if you have to look aid response on a phone app, you should be the one giving aid. Unless you are the only one and that person is going to die.
I would take a basic first aid course with your local Red Cross or CERT training cadre. I've taken both and know enough to know when to help and when not to help.We had a woman go down at qwrk the other night with" an elephant on her chest". EMTs were called and someone with better training than I had was watching over her until they arrived.
If you want to review the app in your idle time then it would be very helpful, just not when someone is having a heartattack.

Todd00000
03-04-12, 22:07
Not to be a smart ass, BUT if you have to look aid response on a phone app, you should be the one giving aid. Unless you are the only one and that person is going to die.
I would take a basic first aid course with your local Red Cross or CERT training cadre. I've taken both and know enough to know when to help and when not to help.We had a woman go down at qwrk the other night with" an elephant on her chest". EMTs were called and someone with better training than I had was watching over her until they arrived.
If you want to review the app in your idle time then it would be very helpful, just not when someone is having a heartattack.

I've had a few civilian first aid courses but no remembers everything for every situation. This app covers 44 events and differentiates between adults and children for some and covers births which most first aid courses don't. Thanks for your advice.

Voodoo_Man
03-04-12, 22:26
Of course training outside of an "app" is absolutely required for anyone who wants to be able to take that next step in first response or aid in a bad situation.

Any type of reminder or aid will not be a detriment. Hell, for some courses we get "incident cards" to help us identify specific things. Does not mean we will use them but a quick review does not hurt.

Pax
03-05-12, 00:27
Sounds brilliant. They ought to make apps for disaster preparation and personal defense as well. Something that tells me to go to my local Costco and stock up on supplies and something else that tells me to pull out my gun, respectively. Im sure they'd sell a few hundred thousand copies.

Reagans Rascals
03-05-12, 00:44
there are a lot of smart ass responses but...

I seem to recall a coach using an iPhone app for directions to provide one of his players with CPR and actually saved his life...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27083_3-20024634-247.html

not so much b/s now is it?

anything that helps... ****ing helps... who care where it comes from

Ghost__1
03-05-12, 00:44
I think it may carry merit. Obviously know your limits OP but they put poster's in most cafaterias now to perform the hiemlich. Is it really all that different? I had a 9 Line Medivac request card. Is that gonna be knocked here too? If something has the potential to save a life I can't or won't knock it.

Pax
03-05-12, 02:26
Yes yes thats great and all if it helps.

Id say its highly comparable to a visual aiming laser on a firearm. Use it if you find it helps you. Do not ever rely on it. Ever.

And CPR... Really man... I can understand being overcome with a chest wound and just thinking oh shit oh shit oh shit for a few seconds while you try to decide between pressure or packing or a seal or wait did I bring my backpack with such and such equipment or my IFAK from the truck with different gear and whats hit is it just a lung hows the stomach, the aorta and illiac, spine, oh my god theres so much blood AAAGHH... etc., and in such a situation having something that spelled out the appropriate steps might be helpful.... but CPR... Really? Is it that difficult to remember?

Reagans Rascals
03-05-12, 02:57
Yes yes thats great and all if it helps.

Id say its highly comparable to a visual aiming laser on a firearm. Use it if you find it helps you. Do not ever rely on it. Ever.

And CPR... Really man... I can understand being overcome with a chest wound and just thinking oh shit oh shit oh shit for a few seconds while you try to decide between pressure or packing or a seal or wait did I bring my backpack with such and such equipment or my IFAK from the truck with different gear and whats hit is it just a lung hows the stomach, the aorta and illiac, spine, oh my god theres so much blood AAAGHH... etc., and in such a situation having something that spelled out the appropriate steps might be helpful.... but CPR... Really? Is it that difficult to remember?

considering most everyday people have no idea whatsoever how to change a tire or how to start a fire properly... its not too far fetched to think they really won't remember the 15 minute CPR lesson they got in 8th grade.... under stress...

reminders help... step-by-step's improve the help.

I don't need a check-list to pre-flight my plane... but I won't do one without it.... the human mind usually remembers 7 steps in order... after that its usually the very first and very last few that make it through.... I think if someones life is in their hands I'd rather them use all the help they can to get it right the first time

Ghost__1
03-05-12, 03:06
Like I stated earlier I knew the medivac nine line request by heart. Had I ever needed to be the one to call it up I feel I would have done great. Never know though. Either way it was there for everyone. Ive seen joes, squadleaders, and plenty of butterbar's do it flawlessly in training and freeze up to be fixed by a crusty E7.
I was glad it was his job and he did it all the times I've been involved in medivac's however it could have been him hit and pressure to someone else may have been bad.

Todd00000
03-05-12, 08:19
Like I stated earlier I knew the medivac nine line request by heart. Had I ever needed to be the one to call it up I feel I would have done great. Never know though. Either way it was there for everyone. Ive seen joes, squadleaders, and plenty of butterbar's do it flawlessly in training and freeze up to be fixed by a crusty E7.
I was glad it was his job and he did it all the times I've been involved in medivac's however it could have been him hit and pressure to someone else may have been bad.

As the team leader for my small embedded training team in Afghanistan I did all the medevacs, I did so many I had dreams about them, but I always went to the same page in my book when I wrote out the 9 line so I wouldn't forget anything.

I'm surprised how many people are getting wrapped around the axle about a check list.

Texas42
03-05-12, 08:20
considering most everyday people have no idea whatsoever how to change a tire or how to start a fire properly... its not too far fetched to think they really won't remember the 15 minute CPR lesson they got in 8th grade.... under stress...

reminders help... step-by-step's improve the help.

I don't need a check-list to pre-flight my plane... but I won't do one without it.... the human mind usually remembers 7 steps in order... after that its usually the very first and very last few that make it through.... I think if someones life is in their hands I'd rather them use all the help they can to get it right the first time

CPR has changed a lot since 8th grade. Heck it was 5:1 when I was younger. Now its 30:2, and it assumes there is an AED somewhere.

To be fair, my ealier smart comment was making fun of the CYA on everything medical. When i was on a mission trip to Larado, we had a HgA1c machine (cool as snot btw) so we could do spot checks. The first line of the manual, "this machine is not for the diagnosis or the treatment of Diabetes." :suicide2:

I've got epocrates, Sanfords, UpToDate, and the red book as my peripheral brain, too.

nineteenkilo
03-05-12, 14:23
If the information is good - where's the harm? I don't think you can ever have too much good information. It is simply a tool that may benefit someone that needs help at some point in time.

Six Feet Under
05-02-12, 10:56
Having taken basic first responder training in 2009 and Sept/Oct 2011, I can tell you I don't remember everything from that class with everything else we've had to learn lately. I haven't had enough practice at any of it to be totally comfortable either, which is why I'm glad I'm taking another medical class this weekend.

feedramp
05-09-12, 01:12
Sounds brilliant. They ought to make apps for disaster preparation and personal defense as well.

Make one that instructs the user to duck, tuck, and kiss butt goodbye. :D

tacti-cool
02-11-13, 22:42

a "heart attack" is not First aid...

CPR,ACLS isnt first aid, it's an entirely different ball game.
Also what if someone has a boo boo, and you have plenty of time to use your app to make a sling, to create a splint from random objects.
A person will know when or when not to look in the book or app at any given situation.

don't be so harsh.

Caduceus
02-12-13, 11:22
CPR has changed a lot since 8th grade. Heck it was 5:1 when I was younger. Now its 30:2, and it assumes there is an AED somewhere.

To be fair, my ealier smart comment was making fun of the CYA on everything medical. When i was on a mission trip to Larado, we had a HgA1c machine (cool as snot btw) so we could do spot checks. The first line of the manual, "this machine is not for the diagnosis or the treatment of Diabetes." :suicide2:

I've got epocrates, Sanfords, UpToDate, and the red book as my peripheral brain, too.

For the most part, I agree - peripheral brain is needed at times. It certainly is quicker to check things online than in the book (ie drug interactions).

First aid? What's it hurt? I agree it should be an adjunct, not primary training, just like I don't think that having Epocrates on your smart phone makes you a certified pharmacist or physician. It's 99 cents. So what if it's never used? Or if it is used, then it's a buck well spent.

Get some training, get the basics down, and have a back up if you need it. How many people out there have a spare bolt or hammer stuck in their hand grip?

Todd00000
02-18-13, 09:18
For the most part, I agree - peripheral brain is needed at times. It certainly is quicker to check things online than in the book (ie drug interactions).

First aid? What's it hurt? I agree it should be an adjunct, not primary training, just like I don't think that having Epocrates on your smart phone makes you a certified pharmacist or physician. It's 99 cents. So what if it's never used? Or if it is used, then it's a buck well spent.

Get some training, get the basics down, and have a back up if you need it. How many people out there have a spare bolt or hammer stuck in their hand grip?
I agree, but was surprised how many people on this forum argue, blow things out of proportion, and make assumptions.

warpigM-4
02-18-13, 10:00
something is better than nothing ! I can see it could help someone in some situations ,Having taken First Aid in the Military and a couple of classes .
any tool that will help is a plus .I would hope someone did not get this app and think they are super medic without any idea of Basic first aid

Nobody_Special
04-21-13, 22:23
I have an app on my phone that has all the doses for pedis. It's weight based based like a broselow tape. Haven't used it but I like having it just in case.

dudley0
07-20-13, 11:38
I have a few apps on my phone like that.

U.S. Army Survival Guide
Basic First Aid
Disaster Survival Guide
FEMA App
As well as plant and fungi pics and descriptions and such.

I browse through them on occassion when I have down time while doing paperwork or some such. Some are worthless, some are entertaining at best. Some have info that I didn't know or remember. Beats only playing sudoku.

tb-av
07-20-13, 12:25
If the information is good - where's the harm? I don't think you can ever have too much good information. It is simply a tool that may benefit someone that needs help at some point in time.

Agreed... it costs nothing, weighs nothing, and at the very least might give someone that is otherwise standing around panicking, something productive to do.

tb-av
07-20-13, 12:26
I have a few apps on my phone like that.

U.S. Army Survival Guide
Basic First Aid
Disaster Survival Guide
FEMA App
As well as plant and fungi pics and descriptions and such.

I browse through them on occassion when I have down time while doing paperwork or some such. Some are worthless, some are entertaining at best. Some have info that I didn't know or remember. Beats only playing sudoku.

there are a few really good rope / knot apps as well

snappy
08-12-13, 11:18
Agreed... it costs nothing, weighs nothing, and at the very least might give someone that is otherwise standing around panicking, something productive to do.

Seems like a no brainer for every teenager with a smart phone to have this app, or something like it anyway; put the info in the hands of the people least likely to have the training, and most likely to need it.