PDA

View Full Version : Another Dumb Question- Bolts

Jellybean
03-04-12, 15:33
Alright here's a fun one-
What's with everyone taking the bolts out of their Prec. bolt guns when they're in a hard case?
I've seen quite a lot of pictures of folks that do this.
Is there a good reason?
Or just another thing folks that have their foam cut out do for fun?:p

pointblank4445
03-04-12, 15:38
I can't speak for the others, but when closed, the bolts on my Accuracy International guns sticks out about another 2 inches from the right side of the rifle. Some cases, my rifle won't fit with the bolt left in. It's also a good way to transport (inoperable).

The Surgeon
03-04-12, 16:50
There are a few laws out there that state the bolt must be removed from the gun, if able to remove. Illinois has this law for residents who do not have a FOID card. Now weather or not this kind of law is why you are seeing so many bolts removed from guns, I am not sure.

I have read that Canada has a transportation law that requires the bolt to be removed. Again, I have not read any official paperwork on this, just post from other people.

I think a few of the cases that have the bolts removed very well could be due to firearm laws. But I think more often than not, that is just a personal preference.

Either way, the law does exist and is suppose to be followed by some people as it applies to them in their current state and/or country.

Jellybean
03-06-12, 23:36
Yeah, I totally knew all that....
:suicide2:

BIGUGLY
03-07-12, 08:54
To save space, and another like stated above a lot of states have laws regarding the transportation of guns. Most require the bolts, magazines need to be removed while being transported.

In my state if your have a carry permit you don't have to but without one you would need to remove the bolt. On my rifle I put a Tac Ops bolt handle on the end of the bolt for better grip and adds about a inch or so. For me its just a matter of saving space.

The Surgeon
03-08-12, 14:03
Yeah, I totally knew all that....
:suicide2:

If you knew all that...

Then why did you ask?

LightningFast
03-08-12, 14:29
The way I read it, I think he's being facetious Surgeon.

hotrodder636
03-08-12, 14:29
I can't speak for the others, but when closed, the bolts on my Accuracy International guns sticks out about another 2 inches from the right side of the rifle. Some cases, my rifle won't fit with the bolt left in. It's also a good way to transport (inoperable).

Your little video clip there is f-in hilarious!
Sorry now back to the thread.

The Surgeon
03-08-12, 14:32

Cool.

Hard to tell true intent when it is written.

Oh well...

I have a slot for my bolt but the only purpose it serves is for my excess of Caprisun straws.

Jellybean
03-12-12, 12:08

Yes.
After reading the replies I had one of those "Oh, duh-you moron" moments.
Have had a few of those here...;)