PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor affects?

Todd00000
03-04-12, 18:36
I see lots of thread with comments about my rifle did this or that, both normal and abnormal, "even with the suppressor mounted."

What affect does the suppressor have on AR functioning?

Clint
03-04-12, 20:40
Suppressors extend the time that the chamber and gas system are under pressure.

Without a suppressor, when the bullet clears the muzzle, chamber pressure drops off fairly quickly.

Suppressors slow this pressure drop.

The effects of this extended time under pressure are numerous.

mtrmn
03-04-12, 20:51
Suppressors extend the time that the chamber and gas system are under pressure.

Without a suppressor, when the bullet clears the muzzle, chamber pressure drops off fairly quickly.

Suppressors slow this pressure drop.

The effects of this extended time under pressure are numerous.

+1---A heavier buffer, heavier action spring, bolt carrier, etc will help in most cases. Adjustable gas block is the best solution IMO

Todd00000
03-04-12, 21:15
I recently learned about over-gassing, so with the extended dwell time a silencer creates the main problem is over-gassing?

Noodles
03-04-12, 23:38
I recently learned about over-gassing, so with the extended dwell time a silencer creates the main problem is over-gassing?

Yes and No.

The suppressor will increase pressurized time, as well as increase over-all gas system pressure.

Two things are happening. The first is that more, and more-of is coming from the gas tube on a DI gun. This GREATLY increased the cyclic rate of the gun / bolt speed. This can causes reliability issues, FTF, damaged brass, no bolt lock back, etc.

The second, and less understood, is the blowback that comes back down the barrel. With no silencer the gas has a green light to leave out the muzzle. With a can, it's more like a yellow light. I don't buy into the hype that piston is SOO much cleaner because I've personally seen magazines get just as dirty on an Adam Arms piston gun as my DI gun when suppressed. A lot of crap comes back down the barrel when suppressed. True for all suppressed. The main issue with a gun that also has a gas system (now over-gassed) is that this crap is in the barrel and the bolt is now opening sooner than it was before, means more noise and gas out the ejection port.

So, yea silencer without an adjustable regulator will have the same effect as opening the gas port up, but even with that controlled, suppressed guns are still going to run dirtier and because of this be less reliable.

That said, I RARELY shoot unsuppressed anymore. Shotguns and revolvers is about it.

Javelin
03-05-12, 00:10
All good posts above.

I will add that most suppressors change the point of aim shift on the bullet so you will need to know where your gun shoot with the can on and with the can off.

This is really not a big deal at all so long as your suppressor does it consistently because you can adjust your sights accordingly. But if your suppressor does not have repeatable POI you are kind of stuck with having to leave the can on the rifle after sight in.

SteyrAUG
03-05-12, 01:20
All good posts above.

I will add that most suppressors change the point of aim shift on the bullet so you will need to know where your gun shoot with the can on and with the can off.

This is really not a big deal at all so long as your suppressor does it consistently because you can adjust your sights accordingly. But if your suppressor does not have repeatable POI you are kind of stuck with having to leave the can on the rifle after sight in.

Along those lines suppressors can sometimes degrade or improve accuracy depending upon firearm, suppressor and mount.

Todd00000
03-05-12, 12:02
Thanks guys.

Love the quote Steyr