PDA

View Full Version : suppressor and adapter

karlglen101
03-04-12, 18:56
Hello. While reading up on some muzzle brakes, as posted in a thread I thew up yesterday, I've developed more questions about brakes and suppressors.
How do brakes and suppressors fit and work together? For instance, while reading up on the Surefire brake, it mentions that it's also designed to be used with their suppressor. I thought you could just screw a suppressor right to the end of the muzzle. Apparently that's not the case, right? Does the suppressor attach to the muzzle brake, or does it just slide over the entire apparatus and somehow cinch down on the barrel?

Fried Chicken Blowout
03-04-12, 19:30
You have specifically designed suppressors for deferent mounts. There are screw on suppressors that go direct on a specific thread pitch on the barrel end without an adapter and then there are "brake attachment" suppressors that will only mate to a proprietary brake or flash hider. you can't take an AAC suppressor and attach it to a SureFire brake. The brakes are made with a large thread on the outside locking teeth that attach into the inside of the suppressor somehow and there is a spring loaded lock that keeps it from unscrewing. It's best if you find a dealer that had them in stock so you can see for your self. Typically the ones that don't use a brake to attach will be much cheaper that those that do. The nice thing about brake attachment suppressors are the gun is totally function without the suppressor incase you're shooting in a match that won't allow the suppressor at your division level. They are also useful for moving one suppressor between many guns since they are easy to get on and off.

mtrmn
03-04-12, 21:20
YHM QD pics---very simple and secure

ETA---One 30 cal suppressor does a very good job on ALL 5 of my AR type weapons, and the wear and tear is not on my barrel threads, but instead it's wearing on replaceable adapters. The suppressor takes about 3 turns to tighten, and the spring-loaded lock ring has teeth that engage the notches on the back end of the suppressor. Just tighten it until it quits turning and clicking. It clicks like the gas cap on your vehicle.

TehLlama
03-05-12, 14:13
Fast attach suppressors will mount instead do the muzzle device (a flash hider or brake) instead of the threading on the barrel - Surefire, AAC come to mind, though even the older OPS Inc. designs made use of this (but cinched against a collar attached to a step in the barrel), but for modern suppressors the idea is you adopt a muzzle device family for your suppressor, and it makes the rifle simpler to run unsuppressed, and easier to move one can around, as well as clean the suppressor itself.