PDA

View Full Version : How many knives do you carry in full kit?

Reagans Rascals
03-04-12, 20:23
When you are in full kit, whether its training, in live combat, or preparing for a dick kick situation, how many knives do you carry on your person?

I am tossing around the idea of using a few I currently have in the following ways while in full kit:

Tom Brown Tracker -- main survival knife for shelter, game, and general survival needs, horizontal mid-back for right hand draw.

KABAR 5 1/4 Tanto -- fighting and combat knife, vertical left breast for right hand draw.

Gerber Para frame folder -- EDC and pocket carry in full kit, general use, inside right pocket.

S&W Tactical Tanto Boot Knife -- backup boot knife, inside right boot.

and usually a small hatchet/breacher bar and or E-tool side mounted on pack if planning extended stay.

how many different style blades do you carry with you, or do you consolidate down to 1 or 2?

jonconsiglio
03-04-12, 20:58
One or two, depending. A Strider VB-GG for a large fixed blade and a good cutter like the ESEE Izula, Strider SNG CC (it's gone and I need a new one) or Benchmade 710. I could pry a door open with the VB.

Something like a Strider SA or DB would probably be sufficient as my only blade, but I don't have one. I may pick one up to replace my second stolen/lost Strider.

Now, this changes depending on the situation. If I'm camping or hunting, then my Chris Reeve Green Beret is fine.

deadlyfire
03-04-12, 21:50
In combat I carried an issued multi-tool and a bayonet.

Abraxas
03-04-12, 22:22
Used to be four, but these days it is two

maximus83
03-05-12, 11:31
Tom Brown Tracker -- main survival knife for shelter, game, and general survival needs, horizontal mid-back for right hand draw.

RR: Focusing on the Tracker option, IMO I would research some additional options for your GP survival blade as well. It's an extremely thick (0.25") and heavy (28oz without sheath) blade even for survival, where you have a lot of great survival blades in the vicinity of 0.190" to 0.20" thick, and weighing in at 9 to 12 oz. Even the mighty ESEE 5, also 0.25" thick and a longer blade, weighs in at a mere 16oz. Also, the shape and sawback features of the Tracker, combined with its thickness, IMO means this knife will be a bit of a compromise at many common knife tasks, and it MIGHT be more effective to just carry a conventional survival blade plus (for example) a light folding saw. For example, I recently got a Swamp Rat RatMandu, with a 0.190" thick blade of SR101 steel, at a bit over 5" in length. When backpacking I add to that a folding Silky Saw, and the total combined weight of both is about 17oz, plus I have two tools where each better at its primary task.

I get the reasons for wanting an all-in-one tool though. Just pointing out another option to consider.

Todd00000
03-05-12, 12:09
In combat I carried my auto-opener in my right pocket so it was also my EDC; on my vest I had my issued multi-tool, and a small folding knife with belt clip that can fit in the webbing of MOLLIE gear.

OP I would say you are over knifed and after a 12 mile road march might wish you has less steel on you.

Littlelebowski
03-05-12, 12:18
OP I would say you are over knifed and after a 12 mile road march might wish you has less steel on you.

This. I always laughed at people's "MRE openers."

rob_s
03-05-12, 12:22
Every single day I "kit up" with a Leatherman Skeletool. When I go to a training class and wear my padded belt or chest rig, I'm "kitted up" with a Leatherman MUT as well.

I can't help but wonder when I see a guy describe his "war belt" as a "training rig" but he has a fighting knife attached to it...:confused:

NeoNeanderthal
03-05-12, 12:41
EDC is a Benchmade Griptillian

My battle belt has a multitool inside a small misc pouch

My Plate carrier has a multitool as well. and a very small lightweight fixed blade (becker necker) that is there for weapon retention.

The tracker is an awesome knife, I love mine. I have an original and a TOPS version. It is designed to be a tool that will do everything OK. If you have the ability to carry more then one tool then i would ditch the tracker. Its for minimalist survivalists (like tom brown jr, the guy who designed it). Who want to carry nothing (and i mean nothing) besides a knife. In this case, the weight of the knife doesn't matter because its the ONLY thing your carrying. (Tracker school is not a proponent of guns).

militarymoron
03-05-12, 13:35
i usually carry a leatherman wave. if i do, i don't carry an additional knife.

Kain
03-05-12, 16:44
Depends what the hell I am grabbing, War belt, which I suppose honestly would be my first because I end up working with it the most, I have an old Leatherman Multitool, a SOG Seal Pup I recently picked up for $40 and am beating up, my Emerson CQC-13 in my right hand pocket, and I have a SOG mini Pentagon mounted in the belt as well, less for any use other then I bought it because I liked the feel and wanted to play with it, not sure if it is worth keeping for anything other then a something to play with.

On my chest rig I have another Leatherman Multitool, a SOG flash II, my Emerson, and a short fixed blade I have had for years, no name maker, though looking at replacing it with either, a K bar, SOG, or something similar.

Also have an Ontario Rtak, but I refuse to consider that a knife, that bastard is a sword. Besides I have never found a comfortable way to carry it on any kit other then back packs for camping, in which case it works well.

Dennis
03-05-12, 18:56
Working plainclothes LE I carry an Emerson M-Wave on my strong side and a Wave converted lefty Benchmade Griptillian on my support side. I have a Leatherman Wave on my vest carrier as well as a Benchmade Triage because it looks like it might be useful :)

Dennis.

Reagans Rascals
03-05-12, 19:30
What knife would you guys suggest would be a good consolidation of the Tracker and the Kabar?

I'd like to have a heavier blade that will serve well in all survival aspects such as splitting wood if ever need be, as well as a good all around combat knife that has good handling and striking capabilities.

I don't really know of any blades that combine the two which is why I carry both for now... open to any and all productive suggestions

I've considered ditching both and going with something like the Paul Basal Shadow... any thoughts?

essentially what knife would you take with you if it's all you could take.... for fighting, surviving, rescuing, evading, etc.. The Tracker to me is the closest I know of to filling that role..

ra2bach
03-05-12, 19:33
EDC pocket is a Benchmade CQC7 that I reprofiled the blade from a tanto to a curve. a Leatherman Juice and a single AA 106 lumen light on my keyring.

on the gun belt is a Leatherman Blast or Core, 240 lumen surefire light and spare batteries, and an exacto handle with spare blades in the IFAK.

backpack has a Fallkniven A1 and Gerber slide saw. sometimes a SOG Fasthawk or a Fiskars 14" hatchet.

ra2bach
03-05-12, 19:44
What knife would you guys suggest would be a good consolidation of the Tracker and the Kabar?

I'd like to have a heavier blade that will serve well in all survival aspects such as splitting wood if ever need be, as well as a good all around combat knife that has good handling and striking capabilities.

I don't really know of any blades that combine the two which is why I carry both for now... open to any and all productive suggestions

I've considered ditching both and going with something like the Paul Basal Shadow... any thoughts?

essentially what knife would you take with you if it's all you could take.... for fighting, surviving, rescuing, evading, etc.. The Tracker to me is the closest I know of to filling that role..

I like the Fallkniven A1. a lot...

but I would be happy with an ESEE-6 or a Scrapyard Sycko 711 or 511 http://www.scrapyardknives.com/knives.htm

joe138
03-05-12, 20:46
Strider DB-L on belt. Al Mar SERE 2000 on vest along with EOD breacher bar on vest. Multi-tool in pouch. This is for door kicking.

jonconsiglio
03-07-12, 12:37

A Strider MT, probably the MOD 10 would be it if I had to get one for all those reasons. I really like the Chris Reeve Green Beret and Pacific. I have a 5.5" Green Beret, but there are a few things I'd change. First, I don't care for the S35vn over S30v. Second, I'd remove the finger grooves and make the grip like the Pacific. It's not comfortable for chopping with those grooves.

Something like an ESEE 4 would also make a great choice for what you're asking about.

For the past few days I've been carrying a Surefire Echo. This is one hell of a knife. I really like the CPM 3v steel, but it could be a little thicker and have a regular edge on it.

I guess if it came down to one knife, that MT could work well for me as long as it's s30v and not 35vn. The Tracker also makes a lot of sense after reading a review.

northern1
03-07-12, 19:22

Ranger Knives RD-4, RD-6 or Afghan. I used to have a bunch before owner Justin Gingrich's colaboration with Ontario but I havnt seen any drop in quality since the colaboration. Good, no nonsense, no frills, hard use blades. Justin is also retired Ranger, 5th SF group and a real good dude. All knives are guaranteed for life as well.

I personally would stay away from that Basal Shadow thing. Maybe its the advertising that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Aries4570
03-08-12, 01:44
I carry a Leatherman Wave on my duty belt and a Benchmade Triage in my pocket on duty. Off duty I carry the Triage and a Leatherman Juice. I usually use the knives on the multitools for everyday cutting so I don't have to sharpen the Triage so much.

On my chest rig I have a Glock field knife.

northern1
03-08-12, 02:17
I forgot about the glock Field knife. Imo opinion that has to be the best bang for the buck in hard use fixed blades. It comes with one of the best sheaths too which is an area a lot of blades lack in.

At between $30-$40 a pop I've bought one for half the men in my family.

Very light weight and slim profiled as well.

telecustom
03-08-12, 06:01
For daily carry, 2. A small folder (Gerber L.S.T.) and a spring assisted mini Applegate. In full kit, I have both of those plus a multi-tool and my Ka-Bar. There have been times that I exchanged the Ka-Bar for a Gerber MKII, depending on the mission.

mkmckinley
03-08-12, 13:20
I carry a folder, usually a Spyderco Sage 2 or my Hnderer XM-18 in my right hip pocket and a 3.5" Busse SAR 3 on my vest. I've never needed anything more than that and I wouldn't want to add much more weight.

stitchclimber
04-08-12, 19:59
EDC is a Kershaw Tanto Blur, and an Infidel.

If I'm "suiting up" (range, training, zombies)
I've got Gerber Flik multi tool on my belt, as well as a ZT boot knife horizontal mounted on the small of my back.

On my plate carrier there's a Kershaw Leek tucked into the MOLLE
and larger Gerber LMF mounted on my removable combat pack.

drsal
04-08-12, 22:30
If wandering through the woods Surefire Echo and coldsteel Bushman folder, if wandering in Miami a Benchmade Mel Pardue

TheJRK
04-11-12, 08:06

This.

Lee D
04-11-12, 09:29

essentially what knife would you take with you if it's all you could take.... for fighting, surviving, rescuing, evading, etc..

Becker BK7

Loki
04-22-12, 22:50
Two. A folder in the pocket and a small fixed blade if I think I need one.

Usually something like an Emerson Commander or Strider SMF for the folder.

Fixed blade can be something really small like the Hak or a little bigger like a DB-L.