PDA

View Full Version : My custom build 7" M4 piston

Zambowhite
03-04-12, 20:49
Hi all,

Been a lurker here for quite a while, appreciating all the fine set ups. I've been playing around with diff grips and stocks so the colors are not uniform

Anyways here is mine:
Crane sights
Threaded compensator
Side cocking handle

http://img.tapatalk.com/70c64f81-27a6-1346.jpg

HaydenB
03-04-12, 22:25
Cool! Nice 7" piston "M4"!..... Is that what you are looking for?:no:

I don't mean to be a dick but I'm getting real tired of these non-informative, pointless, "look at my new toy" type threads. When I was new to this forum I started my share of stupid threads, but this is getting out of hand.

And if you must post to show your new toy, how about some meat to the thread? How about some "this is WHY I built this carbine like this" or some "I used these part for this reason".

:RANT OVER:

If you only take one thing away from my post, let it be this: READ a lot, POST a little.

Zambowhite
03-05-12, 00:06
Well Hayden, I am new to this forum, so forgive me for starting a stupid thread. I hope to make it my last one. And to answer your question to where the meat is, I installed the threaded comp so I can remove/install the supressor quickly, if needed. The side cocking/charging handle is there so that I won't have to lose sight picture, just a mod based on what works for me.

HaydenB
03-05-12, 00:42
Cool.

Reagans Rascals
03-05-12, 03:12
Well Hayden, I am new to this forum, so forgive me for starting a stupid thread. I hope to make it my last one. And to answer your question to where the meat is, I installed the threaded comp so I can remove/install the supressor quickly, if needed. The side cocking/charging handle is there so that I won't have to lose sight picture, just a mod based on what works for me.

I think he means the overall picture... not just the comp and side charge

such as the make of the upper,lower, BCG, LPK, Barrel, etc....

names and manufactures of the parts help tremendously.....

Battle*Hound
03-05-12, 17:43
To OP...Thanks for sharing pics of your new rifle. I hope it works well for you and knocks down plenty targets. Have fun. Congrats

jet80tv
03-08-12, 23:56
What the hell is the rifle to the right?

Reagans Rascals
03-09-12, 00:02
looks to me like a piss poor combination of a Thompson SMG and a Lewis Gun......

hotrodder636
03-09-12, 00:08

Quite honestly that was the first thing I noticed in the pic.
I am also curious as to the make of the lower of th AR. Never seen one like that before.

fallenromeo
03-09-12, 09:43

looks like an American 180 to me.

Youngbp04
03-09-12, 10:00
I am also curious as to the make of the lower of th AR. Never seen one like that before.

At first I thought it was the JP CTR-02 but it isn't, slightly different

http://www.jprifles.com/cart_pix/ph/2048.jpg

I am curious as to what it is as well...

devinsdad
03-09-12, 10:51
To all concerned.

The custom build area is a place to show off and or ask questions about your custom build. If you are going to post pictures of your build, please post a complete picture not just your parts, partial lowers, etc....

Sorry, but the instructions of the custom build forum IS to post pics of new builds. To go on about make, model, manufacturer is a suggestion...not a requirement.

Nice build Op, What piston system did you end up using? Like others, I'm curious to know what lower that is? Sure is interesting.
Nice 180 by the way, is yours a full auto? I kick my but every time I see one for not buying when I had the chance.

kajen
03-09-12, 10:54
Quite honestly that was the first thing I noticed in the pic.

i have one here that looks exactly like it which is some noname 80% billet lower ...
mine does not have autosearhole tho

the one in the picture is probably a Shooters Arms lower

http://www.shootersarms.com.ph/spareparts.php?page=18

TMS951
03-09-12, 11:05
Wow, I bet the combination of that brake and the 7" barrel is brutal.

C4IGrant
03-09-12, 11:15

Interesting. I had not heard this before. So you load and chamber the weapon with the stock still against your shoulder??

C4

turdbocharged
03-09-12, 11:53
Interesting. I had not heard this before. So you load and chamber the weapon with the stock still against your shoulder??

C4

LOL Yeah what gives? :confused:

Zambowhite
03-10-12, 08:26
Hi sorry haven't been able to check back sooner, yes it is an American 180, made by a company called ILARCO in the 60s. It is full auto has a 1100 rpm cyclic and a lot of fun to shoot.

Zambowhite
03-10-12, 08:48
Guys the lower is built by a custom gunsmith,unfortunately with no real patent protection shooters arms decided to copy the idea from an early prototype. I think the internals might be slightly different so he just let it be. Or so the story goes. He is not a big manufacturer so he just does them as needed. I saw an older version on his desk that was semi auto, I liked the way it looked and told him to make me one.

Zambowhite
03-10-12, 08:56
Hi TMS951, yes big fireballs, and brutal for anyone beside me. I normally use it with the supressor installed though.

Zambowhite
03-10-12, 09:25
To C4, Turdbo to answer you question, I found that most people when in the prone position have a tendency to raise their head a few inches when they have to manipulate the charging handle on a stock M4, because of the way it is positioned. I know it's that way to accommodate both left and right handed shooters, since I'm a righty no biggie. I think Keeping your profile low and having the rifle up closer to eye level while working the handle has its merits. I feel the mod works in this respect, it's just something I'm tinkering with. Thank you for your interest.

C4IGrant
03-10-12, 11:23
To C4, Turdbo to answer you question, I found that most people when in the prone position have a tendency to raise their head a few inches when they have to manipulate the charging handle on a stock M4, because of the way it is positioned. I know it's that way to accommodate both left and right handed shooters, since I'm a righty no biggie. I think Keeping your profile low and having the rifle up closer to eye level while working the handle has its merits. I feel the mod works in this respect, it's just something I'm tinkering with. Thank you for your interest.

Gotcha. Can you tell me why you would need to work the CH in the prone position??

C4

Iraqgunz
03-10-12, 11:25
The next time you want to "quote" something I wrote, please do so in it's entirety.

To all concerned.

The custom build area is a place to show off and or ask questions about your custom build. If you are going to post pictures of your build, please post a complete picture not just your parts, partial lowers, etc....

Also, buying an upper separate and then a lower and throwing them together does not constitute a custom build. It would also be nice if you took time to explain how you came to your decision and explain your set up. Thanks.

To all concerned.

Sorry, but the instructions of the custom build forum IS to post pics of new builds. To go on about make, model, manufacturer is a suggestion...not a requirement.

Nice build Op, What piston system did you end up using? Like others, I'm curious to know what lower that is? Sure is interesting.
Nice 180 by the way, is yours a full auto? I kick my but every time I see one for not buying when I had the chance.

Zambowhite
03-10-12, 12:43
C4,

I tested this configuration on my SBR just to see how it would hold up to a lot of rounds, since this is the rifle I shoot most. And also to see how bad the gassing would be when using a suppressor, so far it's tolerable and seems sturdy enough. The next step is to install the side CH permanently on my 20inch M16 which has a scope, for long range work. I forgot to mention that, myself and a lot of my buddies felt the scopes we use kinda get in the way of the regular M16 CH since they sort of co-exist near the same plane. I also don't have to lose my cheek weld as I charge the rifle. I don't think it will be something that everyone will want or like, but for my use it has some advantages over the regular CH. Hope this answers the question.

Youngbp04
03-10-12, 13:31
It is an interesting set up for sure! It is good that you are testing out what works for you. I think if it helps you shoot better and works for you do it! That is what custom builds are for!

C4IGrant
03-10-12, 14:35
C4,

I tested this configuration on my SBR just to see how it would hold up to a lot of rounds, since this is the rifle I shoot most. And also to see how bad the gassing would be when using a suppressor, so far it's tolerable and seems sturdy enough. The next step is to install the side CH permanently on my 20inch M16 which has a scope, for long range work. I forgot to mention that, myself and a lot of my buddies felt the scopes we use kinda get in the way of the regular M16 CH since they sort of co-exist near the same plane. I also don't have to lose my cheek weld as I charge the rifle. I don't think it will be something that everyone will want or like, but for my use it has some advantages over the regular CH. Hope this answers the question.

Have you ever tried to chamber a round with the bolt catch (VS the charging handle)?

C4

HaydenB
03-10-12, 14:51
Have you ever tried to chamber a round with the bolt catch (VS the charging handle)?

That's what I was thinking. If you do a tactical reload you already have a round in the chamber. And if you do a speed reload the bolt should have locked to the rear, allowing you to just press the bolt release.

Zambowhite
03-10-12, 21:20
C4, Hayden

Yes I also use the bolt catch on succeeding magazines or for admin reloads, more so on my M4, but when I charge the rifle the first time, I feel the side CH is more ergonomic. C4 I fire from prone quite a bit with my M16. I tried sending a higher rez pic of the range, but this app keeps resizing it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/70c652c9-14cf-1fa4.jpg

C4IGrant
03-10-12, 21:53
C4, Hayden

Yes I also use the bolt catch on succeeding magazines or for admin reloads, more so on my M4, but when I charge the rifle the first time, I feel the side CH is more ergonomic. C4 I fire from prone quite a bit with my M16. I tried sending a higher rez pic of the range, but this app keeps resizing it.

http://img.tapatalk.com/70c652c9-14cf-1fa4.jpg

Good, glad to hear you use the bolt catch. So with that out of the way, why the side charging handle?

C4

WAR FACE
03-17-12, 20:53
Who made your sights?

MistWolf
03-18-12, 02:45
I think a folding non reciprocating charging handle on the left side of the AR would be an improvement, assuming the execution does not create new problems. I find the side CH of the Fal much more natural to use than the Gunfighter Mod 3 or Mod 4 I have on my ARs.

Of course the CH of the Fal sees more use because it's better to sling shot the Fal as steady use of the BHO causes undue wear

Zambowhite
03-19-12, 00:10
Warface, here is the website http://armsmounts.com/

It's the #71L-F and #71L-R around 90$ for the set I also tried the magpul BUIS but The ARMS sight has an extra feature: the rear sights have a notch above the aperture for close in targets, less than 25m. Hope this helps.

Hispeedal2
03-19-12, 10:13
I don't think I would fault a well-made side charger. Aside from reloads, clearing malfunctions would happen with slightly less movement as well.

The SCAR is an excellent example.

Interesting build.