PDA

View Full Version : Pmag Problems

iracecars4fun
03-04-12, 21:09
i have done some research but cant seem to find anything on it. I have a couple 30 round pmags and a 20 round and they all have the same issue. They all fail to catch the bcg on the last round, so when im at the range i never feel that last shot difference.

it's not a huge problem but its enough to piss me off. i was wondering if anyone else had this problem. im thinking about swapping out the follower for one i know does work but just wondering if anyone here has done it.

benw315
03-04-12, 21:14
Have you tried any aluminum mags? The pmags may not be the problem.

superr.stu
03-04-12, 21:18
How is your gun setup and does it work 100% with other brands of mags?

Ghost__1
03-04-12, 21:28
i have done some research but cant seem to find anything on it. I have a couple 30 round pmags and a 20 round and they all have the same issue. They all fail to catch the bcg on the last round, so when im at the range i never feel that last shot difference.

it's not a huge problem but its enough to piss me off. i was wondering if anyone else had this problem. im thinking about swapping out the follower for one i know does work but just wondering if anyone here has done it.

I'm 99% certain that if it is doing it with 3 mags its your rifle. Pmags are not perfect but three not working is too much. Try loading an empty mag with your upper off. Is it pushing the boly catch up? If it is the problem lies with your bolt catch to bolt interaction. Could be a couple different problems. I would say its overgassed. Just a stretch but its what I'm betting. Not saying that is it.

Todd00000
03-04-12, 21:38
I'm 99% certain that if it is doing it with 3 mags its your rifle. Pmags are not perfect but three not working is too much. Try loading an empty mag with your upper off. Is it pushing the boly catch up? If it is the problem lies with your bolt catch to bolt interaction. Could be a couple different problems. I would say its overgassed. Just a stretch but its what I'm betting. Not saying that is it.

The nipple on the bolt catch could be broken, ask me how I know.

Clint
03-04-12, 21:41
That's a good test to insert all your mags empty and rack the charging handle.

The bolt should lock back for sure.

Pmags are normally quite good.

What kind of upper/ lower are you running?

Ghost__1
03-04-12, 21:54
The nipple on the bolt catch could be broken, ask me how I know.

I'm more the guessing type. Um.... It happened to you? Pretty weird spot to break one. I havent personally seen one break there but we all know that prick Murphy and all his rules.

Todd00000
03-04-12, 22:03
I'm more the guessing type. Um.... It happened to you? Pretty weird spot to break one. I havent personally seen one break there but we all know that prick Murphy and all his rules.

I sent the piece back to Colt, they found the magnetic particle inspection material under where that nipple is, they think it was broken from the beginning making it through all three of their hands on inspections. I fired one magazine and it worked, if malfunctioned on the second mag, so I think it broke then.

Ghost__1
03-04-12, 22:19
I sent the piece back to Colt, they found the magnetic particle inspection material under where that nipple is, they think it was broken from the beginning making it through all three of their hands on inspections. I fired one magazine and it worked, if malfunctioned on the second mag, so I think it broke then.

That sounds right. Its pretty tough to catch things like like 100%. One of my worries is getting a carbon arrow with stress fractures in it to unravel itself on release. The pictures I've seen of carbon splinters through ones hand doesn't look like a pleasant experience.

Todd00000
03-04-12, 22:24
That sounds right. Its pretty tough to catch things like like 100%. One of my worries is getting a carbon arrow with stress fractures in it to unravel itself on release. The pictures I've seen of carbon splinters through ones hand doesn't look like a pleasant experience.

Most well made things break immediately because of a missed defect or after a normal amount of use. I can imagine that CF splinters would be worse than fiber glass.

iracecars4fun
03-04-12, 23:04
LOL i step away for 2 hours and the thread runs away....

Anyhow;

it works 100% of the time with other aluminum mags.

racking the charging handle, on an empty mag works for pmags and aluminum mags.

the only time it does it, is live fire, and then it's not all the time (with pmags)

if i compare my aluminum mag follower to the pmag follower there is a definite difference in size on the little catch.

Ghost__1
03-04-12, 23:08
Sorry for the derail op. Add and all. Let me check my pmags and my usgi and see if I can see the same thing.

Iraqgunz
03-04-12, 23:10
OP,

Please give us details about your weapon as it may be another issue.

iracecars4fun
03-04-12, 23:18
nothing special stag arms 18in 1/7 twist standard gas operated 5.56 chamber

Ghost__1
03-04-12, 23:36
OP I just checked mine and I would say the so called "nipple on your bolt catch is a bit shorter than spec. Short from the muzzle. Here are some pictures that may help. If this isnt your problem you may want to check your follower spring length. If I havent hit it IG will have to use his extensive knowledge.

PMAG you can see how the tip barely catches.
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee418/Matthew_Fairbanks/photobucket-4029-1330925586552.jpg

USGI ear seems to catch the follower more.
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee418/Matthew_Fairbanks/photobucket-2138-1330925585687.jpg

sinlessorrow
03-04-12, 23:39
OP can you post pics like what the above did?

Iraqgunz
03-05-12, 00:21
Is this on a carbine lower or rifle?

nothing special stag arms 18in 1/7 twist standard gas operated 5.56 chamber

Bonez556
03-05-12, 08:06

It sounds like the problem is with your rifle. It is very uncommon to have 3 mags failing in the same way. You might try out some aluminum mags and see how it performs. I prefer aluminum mags anyhow. Just my .02

Failure2Stop
03-05-12, 08:20
New production Pmags are showing a higher tendency for this failure than older generations.

djegators
03-05-12, 09:22
I'm also wondering if the OP has a BAD lever.

Hunter Rose
03-05-12, 09:28
it works 100% of the time with other aluminum mags.

racking the charging handle, on an empty mag works for pmags and aluminum mags.

the only time it does it, is live fire, and then it's not all the time (with pmags)

if i compare my aluminum mag follower to the pmag follower there is a definite difference in size on the little catch.

So what is the obsession with PMAGs? If it works 100% with aluminum GI, why not just use aluminum GI mags?

djegators
03-05-12, 09:31
So what is the obsession with PMAGs? If it works 100% with aluminum GI, why not just use aluminum GI mags?

I guess that depends on what "100%" means...is that few mags one or two range trips, or is it two or three cases of ammo of heavy use? If the problem is not the pmags, then it may eventually rear its ugly head elsewhere.

iracecars4fun
03-05-12, 10:06
I did the test and the pmag spring seems to be the issue it is simply not strong enough to push the bolt catch up all the way. the regular alum. mag will push the bolt catch to the point that the mag follower is at full travel. however when i use the pmag it does not. the follower is not at full travel and neither is the bolt catch

iracecars4fun
03-05-12, 10:09

yea pretty much thats what i will do im just a little pissed at magpul for the pos

Darkop
03-05-12, 11:22
I did the test and the pmag spring seems to be the issue it is simply not strong enough to push the bolt catch up all the way. the regular alum. mag will push the bolt catch to the point that the mag follower is at full travel. however when i use the pmag it does not. the follower is not at full travel and neither is the bolt catch

Open the action on the rifle. Check the magazine catch with your finger. Is it hard to move? it could have a burr or a fat spot that is in the slot that is rubbing.

You can oil the catch by working oil into the sides of the slot. Or you can pull the catch and stone the sides to make sure there flat and not over sized. Or you can replace the catch with a known good one while you have it apart. I tend to always run a stone over the sides of the catch when I put one together just to make sure it's not oversize/out of spec.

Is this a factory built rifle, parts gun or other. I ask because it is possible that the wrong spring (to heavy) was installed in the catch spring hole and detent. How many rounds through the rifle and the 3 Pmags?

Good luck,
Darkop

iracecars4fun
03-05-12, 11:49
Open the action on the rifle. Check the magazine catch with your finger. Is it hard to move? it could have a burr or a fat spot that is in the slot that is rubbing.

You can oil the catch by working oil into the sides of the slot. Or you can pull the catch and stone the sides to make sure there flat and not over sized. Or you can replace the catch with a known good one while you have it apart. I tend to always run a stone over the sides of the catch when I put one together just to make sure it's not oversize/out of spec.

Is this a factory built rifle, parts gun or other. I ask because it is possible that the wrong spring (to heavy) was installed in the catch spring hole and detent. How many rounds through the rifle and the 3 Pmags?

Good luck,
Darkop

i oil the catch when i clean it, it is a factory rifle, the catch moves freely just fine. the pmags have done it from square one or atleast after three or four cycles, and the rifle has a good 800+ rounds through it

mpom
03-05-12, 12:23
Seen this before. Check the tension of the bolt catch spring compared to another gun. If your spring feels stronger, it could be that it is too strong and "fighting" and winning, against the mag spring. That is, the mag catch is not rising as fast and as high as it should, propelled by the mag spring/follower, because the bolt catch spring is too strong. Just a theory, but easy to check.

Mark

CarbonCycles
03-05-12, 12:34
Are all your troublesome PMags from the same lot/batch?

JD_BP_FLYER
03-05-12, 13:07
Although probably unlikely, have you disassembled the Pmags and checked to make sure the follower is able to touch the top of the mag body? I ask because I have run into this before after a hard training day at the range, with dropping the mags in the dirt, sometimes a little gets stuck between the lips and the follower. Also, compare your mag catch installation to another rifle, paying particular attention to the amount the catch is threaded into the release on the right side of the gun. I have seen where the catch is off by a thread so the catch doesn't engage the follwer with enough force to hold the bolt open. This mostly happens on build projects but with the volume of these being built by the "factory" for us, anything is possible, even though the GI aluminum mags work fine in your gun. Let us know how you made out.

iracecars4fun
03-05-12, 16:41
Are all your troublesome PMags from the same lot/batch?

i assume i ordered them all at once and they have similar codes

Failure2Stop
03-06-12, 11:41
I would recommend contacting MagPul and letting their CS do their magic.
All items will fail and break, nothing in infallible.
GI mags fail and break. HK mags fail and break. PMags fail and break.
If they don't work for your gun don't get sucked into a non-issue.

BGREID
03-06-12, 15:45
I have had that happen with some cheap ammo, just not running the bolt far enough back to catch.

Pistol Shooter
03-06-12, 16:09

Sensible suggestion.

I've never had a problem with PMags in my AR's but I've had a few GI mags that I tossed.

Good luck OP, let us know what MagPul CS tells you. :)

djegators
03-06-12, 17:51

And people often forget the relative low cost of AR mags...they should be treated like the disposable items they are.

Positive Displacement
03-07-12, 10:28
I tried a 20 and 30rd. PMAG's yesterday AND steel cased ammo, all worked flawlessly. My bolt catch was 'stiff' was able to rectify it with some CLP.

SilverTongueDevil
03-07-12, 15:35
yea pretty much thats what i will do im just a little pissed at magpul for the pos

Why did you not just make this statement when you started this thread. Pure Bullshit thread you were just freaking pulling everyone's chain just so you could post this shit...

shatnerglass
03-07-12, 16:03
I'm also wondering if the OP has a BAD lever.

Bingo! I was going to ask that.

iracecars4fun
03-07-12, 20:42
Why did you not just make this statement when you started this thread. Pure Bullshit thread you were just freaking pulling everyone's chain just so you could post this shit...

Really? you honestly think i did this for kicks? i had a genuine problem and if you read my first post i was simply asking if anyone had swapped followers in a pmag, or if anyone has had a similar problem. That's it.

Relax man.

and for everyone else yes i agree mags are disposable im just seeing if i can make mine last longer, after that i have emailed magpul and ill be happy to let you all know what they say, as long as that's ok with STD over here. Finally if all else fails i will even replace my lever just to see what happens so people with similar problems will not have to bother mr. STD