PDA

View Full Version : Glock mag disassembly

B52U
03-04-12, 21:56
I've found the glock magazine disassembly process to be difficult, especially squeezing the bottom of the mag enough to allow the floorplate tabs clearance. Are there any tricks to this?

glocktogo
03-04-12, 22:29
I've found the glock magazine disassembly process to be difficult, especially squeezing the bottom of the mag enough to allow the floorplate tabs clearance. Are there any tricks to this?

I usually just push the edge of the basepad against the bench while doing the other two operations with my hands. Brand new mags are the most stubborn, so you have to "train them". :)

If that isn't working for you, Brownell's markets a tool specifically for Glock magazine disassembly.

F-Trooper05
03-05-12, 00:14
I got one of these... http://www.mygtul.com

EzGoingKev
03-05-12, 05:55
I use a small one of these -

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fmcDOYkjWNY/T1SoHxBnDtI/AAAAAAAAEqk/KwePVXrkJOk/s800/image.jpg

Light pressure is all that is needed.

One thing I have found is the insert piece -

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NDOGIGdOIEk/T1SpIiWaFnI/AAAAAAAAEq0/N3XlvxTx8Og/s800/Glock_Magazine_Insert.jpg

can prevent you from sufficiently squeezing the sides of the magazine in enough to slide the bottom off. I push the insert down, then squeeze.

Robb Jensen
03-05-12, 06:02
It's not difficult. Insert the Glock tool or 3/32" pinch into the baseplate as far as it'll go then push the mag tube away from you while pulling the baseplate & punch/Glock tool toward you. Using anything to compress the mag body can ruin it by permanently bending the metal liner inside the magazine tube.

tpd223
03-05-12, 06:14
It's not difficult. Insert the Glock tool or 3/32" pinch into the baseplate as far as it'll go then push the mag tube away from you while pulling the baseplate & punch/Glock tool toward you. Using anything to compress the mag body can ruin it by permanently bending the metal liner inside the magazine tube.

^This^

I have disassembled hundreds, literally hundreds, of Glock magazines and I have NEVER compressed the mag tube on any of them.

Shokr21
03-05-12, 07:38
Dropped some mags into the mud yesterday during a match, so this was the first time I have to disassemble a glock mag. Took me a bit and a couple 4 letter words, but I got 'em taken down.

I just didn't expect to have to put so much force into taking them apart. I'll admit I was a bit afraid of breaking something, but in the end I just got pissed, said **** it and torqued on them with a punch and my meat hooks, they cried "uncle".

Lesson learned, taking glock mags apart separate the men from the boys! just kidding of course

SWATcop556
03-05-12, 10:59
If you are using ANYTHING to compress the sides of the mags you are doing it wrong. As was said by Robb and TPD you only need to use the Glock tool or a similar sized punch to push the insert down as far as you can then pull the floorplate forward. Simple.

Channel locks, vise grips, C Clamps, or special tools are not necessary. New mags take more force but they will loosen up.

B52U
05-27-12, 21:22
If you are using ANYTHING to compress the sides of the mags you are doing it wrong. As was said by Robb and TPD you only need to use the Glock tool or a similar sized punch to push the insert down as far as you can then pull the floorplate forward. Simple.

Channel locks, vise grips, C Clamps, or special tools are not necessary. New mags take more force but they will loosen up.

So the loostening up process is essentially the floor plate tabs getting deformed enough for easy clearance right? I assume that looser floor plates have never been problematic? Seems like they (floorplate tabs and slots) are an overengineered feature since other brands use a detent only on the bottom.

jo-mach
05-27-12, 23:23
Was showed in Armorer class to simply insert glock tool into bottom of base plate hole and pry sideways on plate and should come right off -- if not a pair of water pump pliers work great to squeeze side of mag

jtc556
05-28-12, 09:00
Was showed in Armorer class to simply insert glock tool into bottom of base plate hole and pry sideways on plate and should come right off -- if not a pair of water pump pliers work great to squeeze side of mag

I think you may have "overlooked" posts #5, 6, and 8. Don't squeeze your mags.

spr1
05-29-12, 19:52

To make it really easy, the punch can be clamped in a bench vise, if available, then a pull or push on the mag body depending on how you have it oriented will pop it right off the detents. It is about a minute a mag this way.

ST911
05-29-12, 21:12
Where are you guys getting magazines that require tools, vises and the like for disassembly?

Seriously... Grasp the full circumference of the magazine with one hand, put the punch in the hole and depress the insert with the other, and push a rear corner of the floorplate against a hard surface with some oomph.

skyugo
05-29-12, 21:21
i jam a stout punch in the hole and press it against a bench top.

SWATcop556
05-29-12, 21:39
So the loostening up process is essentially the floor plate tabs getting deformed enough for easy clearance right? I assume that looser floor plates have never been problematic? Seems like they (floorplate tabs and slots) are an overengineered feature since other brands use a detent only on the bottom.

Basically yes. Every 6 months or so I break down the mags that are on my carrier since they are prone to junk, debris, dirt, etc. so.

The more the baseplates are removed the easier they become.

And for everyone else, even with brand new from the factory mags you DO NOT need any tools for disassembly other than the Glock tool or the same sized punch as Robb suggested earlier. NOTHING ELSE.

tdoom15
05-30-12, 12:07
I push the tab down with the glock tool until it holds the tool in place on its own, then use both hands to hold the mag and squeeze the tabs, then use my chin to push the glock tool and leverage off the base plate past the tabs. This is the only way I could squeeze the tabs hard enough on new g26 mags.

JML2321
05-30-12, 22:23
Here is a very detailed video of mag diss-assembly in 1080p. He also has a complete detail strip and trigger polish videos. Check out his channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGPqUqjeTSY

DWood
05-30-12, 23:08
Here is a very detailed video of mag diss-assembly in 1080p. He also has a complete detail strip and trigger polish videos. Check out his channel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGPqUqjeTSY

This video shows how to disassemble a Glock mag using only a punch the way that is taught in the Glock armorer class. No other tools are needed. It is very simple to do once you understand the technique.

darwing31
05-31-12, 17:26
I got one of these... http://www.mygtul.com

This. The GTUL is great. While disassembling a mag with a punch is not that hard I always seem to damage my floor plates some doing it. With the GTUL its easy and no damage. I also like the c clamp idea.

05-31-12, 22:27
Running the magazine base under HOT running water (not boiling or anything, just max out your kitchen faucet on 'hot') makes disassembly much easier if you have a stubborn mag. Softens up the plastic just enough to allow some decent flexing of the floorplate around those locking tabs. They'll come right off with little effort after the 'plunger' thing has been depressed.

I actually don't do this anymore when disassembling my G17 mags; maybe it's because all of my mags are old and worn in, or maybe I'm just better at the 'proper' technique. But, I remember the hot water trick helping me a lot when I was initally puzzled by how much force it took to pop them off.

ETA: please keep those C-clamps away from your mags!

darwing31
06-01-12, 10:31
Why would a c clamp be bad? If used carefully, its the same concept as the gtul tool.