PDA

View Full Version : Did something happen politically that I missed? Reloading supply shortage

Sticks
03-05-12, 04:27
Might just have been an average Sunday at Sportsmans Warehouse, but it looked like mid '08 when I went in Sunday.

No primers, low on brass and bullets, and I did not bother to check on powder. Reloading section was packed with people. And some lady at the checkout in front of me had 18 boxes of mixed brand 410 ammo.

This was a smash and grab run so I did not look at all the other items...guns, ammo....It just seemed odd to me.

Wideners is also out of stock on at least the flavors that I use.

ralph
03-05-12, 07:59
I'm guessing election year panic starting to set in... People stocking up "early".Watch for the prices of everything to start going up....

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-05-12, 08:06
I have not noticed here in NY if you want something and cant find it let me know and I will look here for you.

Kokopelli
03-05-12, 08:06
Too late gentlemen.. The 2012 run on all things weapon related has begun in earnest.. JMO.. Ron

3gunshooter7681
03-05-12, 09:18
Don't know but JMO doesn't threads like these help push the sky is falling mentality. The ammo guy at the gun show has had a huge supply the last 3 shows I have been to and the reloading supply guy is always fully stocked.
I help out at my buddies shop and the beginning of February was slow but we have been getting guns in at a quicker pace in the last 2 weeks. We just got in a Hornady ammo plant which was backordered. And the other shop we work closely with has been able to keep his shelves stocked.
You dont think some of it is from manufacturers trying to catch up from the demand of shot? And alot of people have been getting late tax returns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

m1a_scoutguy
03-05-12, 09:52
Hmmmmm,,,I haven't noticed to much out of the ordinary !! I don't buy much Local when it comes to ammo or reloading components,,just makes more sense and ya get more bang for your buck online,,(sorry local retailers,:() Certain items are out Online,,but if one place doesn't have it,,another normally does,,SPP have been the main issue for the last year or more,,but I just bought 10K from Wideners last week along with some other odds and ends,,I had to buy Winchester @$27 per K because the Wolf were out,,but hey I got them & that should carry me through the Summer and into next Fall !!! But rest assured,,I will be buying a few more odds & ends in the coming months just to stay ahead of the game !!
I like talking about how things are looking in different areas of the Country,,but always hate to make it sound like the "Sky Is Falling",,but then I guess thats inevitable with the "potential" for disaster in the Fall,,but then lets not go there just yet,,,LOL !!!

ICANHITHIMMAN
03-05-12, 10:12
Hmmmmm,,,I haven't noticed to much out of the ordinary !! I don't buy much Local when it comes to ammo or reloading components,,just makes more sense and ya get more bang for your buck online,,(sorry local retailers,:() Certain items are out Online,,but if one place doesn't have it,,another normally does,,SPP have been the main issue for the last year or more,,but I just bought 10K from Wideners last week along with some other odds and ends,,I had to buy Winchester @$27 per K because the Wolf were out,,but hey I got them & that should carry me through the Summer and into next Fall !!! But rest assured,,I will be buying a few more odds & ends in the coming months just to stay ahead of the game !!
I like talking about how things are looking in different areas of the Country,,but always hate to make it sound like the "Sky Is Falling",,but then I guess thats inevitable with the "potential" for disaster in the Fall,,but then lets not go there just yet,,,LOL !!!

I suppose it may at least for you and I have something to do with the fact that we live by AMCHAR

panzerr
03-05-12, 18:20
More people are beginning to realize that Obama is going to be re-elected due to the failure of the republican party to come up with a decent candidate.

We are going to end up with a 2nd term radical President who will have nothing to lose and wants nothing more than to make a name for himself. He will without a doubt go after guns/ammo and/or gun owners.

Sticks
03-05-12, 19:08
Hmmmmm,,,I haven't noticed to much out of the ordinary !! I don't buy much Local when it comes to ammo or reloading components,,just makes more sense and ya get more bang for your buck online,,(sorry local retailers,:() ...

Not around here. I would have to blow a $400 nut to offset the hazmat and shipping. Local prices for 1k primers and powder are just slightly higher, if not the same as online.

Kokopelli
03-05-12, 19:12
I paid for my inattention during the 45ACP shortages of 2010.. every week.. I'll try not to get caught this time.. Just saying.. Ron

m1a_scoutguy
03-05-12, 23:46
Not around here. I would have to blow a $400 nut to offset the hazmat and shipping. Local prices for 1k primers and powder are just slightly higher, if not the same as online.

Wow,,thats good for you guys out that way !! I can get Powder for around $25 bucks a pound,,tax included,,but primers are the killer around here,,cheapest is around $35 plus tax per 1K,,I would spend that in a pinch,,but if I know I'm gonna be needing something,,I'll save up and go in with at least 1 other guy,,,,but normally 2,,so that helps alot !!! A buddy & I just spent $457 bucks on primers & 1K of 9mm brass,,shipping was only $21.35,,plus the Hazmat of $27.50 & the total was the $457 even,,I didn't think that was to bad !! When ya figure that out it works out to a little over $25 bucks per 1K for the primers,,if you can get primers for that Local,,,your a lucky guy,,,,:) I'll save up again and in a couple months I grab another bunch of primers (I hope) for my rifles & probably some powder & then hang for a bit and see how things go shooting wise !! I'm doing a Action Pistol League now,,till first or second week of April & I go through at least 100 Rd's every Sunday,,,,last week I went through 150ish,,so I normally shoot alot & the good weather will only get me out more !!! When its all said & done,,I don't consider myself a Hoarder,,just well prepared,,,LOL !!!! Hopefully things won't get to crazy,,,,time will tell I guess !!! :)

Hey ICANHITHIMMAN,,what is AMCHAR ???? Ya lost me buddy,but I probably should know,:confused:,jog my memory,LOL !!

Javelin
03-06-12, 00:16
Nope. Looked around today and everything in stock. Lady said that they were getting even more shipments in this week.

I think that gun manufacturers might be already anticipating the increase in demand that might happen later this year and are preparing for big sales. Only this time they want to be there with product to sell sell sell.

BCmJUnKie
03-06-12, 00:23
Walmart is the same thing.

All the reloading stuff has been gone.

Ammo is NEVER on the shelves there, there is two local pawn shops that buy it all up.

The douchebag calls and calls, when they get the 420 cans in stock, he buys them all....to sell in his shop.

It wouldnt be so bad, but the 2 shops mark it up WAY too high.

$280.00 for 420 rounds.

$350 somethin for 1k.

number9xd
03-06-12, 10:55
More people are beginning to realize that Obama is going to be re-elected due to the failure of the republican party to come up with a decent candidate.

We are going to end up with a 2nd term radical President who will have nothing to lose and wants nothing more than to make a name for himself. He will without a doubt go after guns/ammo and/or gun owners.

Yep :mad:

Doc Safari
03-06-12, 10:58

Nailed it.

I learned during the Clinton years not to wait.

Buy now or be sorry later.

!Nvasi0n
03-06-12, 12:36
He will without a doubt go after guns/ammo and/or gun owners.

That's all well and good...but the president doesn't pass legislation...congress does. So long as we have majority in the house...and gain more seats in the senate, what will do other than go ****ing golfing in Fiji or Rwanda for the next 4 years.

In the next 5 years, if anything anti 2A does happen...it's our own god damn fault...I'm just saying

We have to unite as a party and stop this fear mongering hoarding mindset or we'll all be ****ed

!Nvasi0n
03-06-12, 12:40
Don't get me wrong...he's got some very powerful forces working for and with him. The most of witch is the seats on the supreme court that scare me

Doc Safari
03-06-12, 12:48
That's all well and good...but the president doesn't pass legislation...congress does.

Obama has said repeatedly he will do as much as he can without having to wait for Congress, or if Congress doesn't do what he wants then he will find ways to act on his own.

I'm not saying he's all-powerful, but Operation Fast & Furious should prove to anyone where this administration's scruples and motivation are.

IYAAYASwarrior
03-06-12, 12:50
if only the Republicans could muster a strong enough candidate :(

!Nvasi0n
03-06-12, 13:38
if only the Republicans could muster a strong enough candidate :(

It's absolutely disgusting isn't it...do they really expect us to believe in a country this big that we can't find another Ronald Reagan...someone to unite the country and stop the class warfare an polarization of parties today.

It makes me wonder if the whole thing isn't a set up...they really don't want to beat Obama...as if they want him to win, so that the whole country can implode. Then they as a party can stand back and say "we tried to warn you" "now vote for us the next time"

Boxerglocker
03-06-12, 14:57
Might just have been an average Sunday at Sportsmans Warehouse, but it looked like mid '08 when I went in Sunday.

No primers, low on brass and bullets, and I did not bother to check on powder. Reloading section was packed with people. And some lady at the checkout in front of me had 18 boxes of mixed brand 410 ammo.

This was a smash and grab run so I did not look at all the other items...guns, ammo....It just seemed odd to me.

Wideners is also out of stock on at least the flavors that I use.

Powder Valley has everything in stock.

number9xd
03-06-12, 20:47
Powder Valley has everything in stock.

Yep, that's where I ordered from.

Boxerglocker
03-06-12, 21:24
Yep, that's where I ordered from.

Did you notice the price of Federal primers has dropped to $26 a K!!!

HackerF15E
03-06-12, 21:37
No shortage of either factory ammo or reloading components - yet - in northern Oklahoma.

Sticks
03-07-12, 04:35
Well, I am just going to hope that it was a "weekend shopping" normality, or some nimrod did not keep stock levels up.

If this becomes a consistent thing, I may look into online ordering after I rat hole enough cash.

I was going to try to put together a group buy on a local AR forum to order enough to offset the hazmat and shipping, but they are beyond anal on those types of threads. If it has anything to do with another forum member parting with money in any fashion, it gets deleted, and the OP gets a nastygram from the mods.

RogerinTPA
03-07-12, 12:05
As many has mentioned, as the elections and the end of the Mayan calender approaches, folks who failed to plan will make "fear/panic" purchases and the Dec 21st nut bags will be right beside them.

cheapsandwich
03-07-12, 15:24
It is tax return season.................

3gunshooter7681
03-07-12, 20:02
[QUOTE=BCmJUnKie;1250521]Walmart is the same thing.

All the reloading stuff has been gone.

Ammo is NEVER on the shelves there, there is two local pawn shops that buy it all up.

The douchebag calls and calls, when they get the 420 cans in stock, he buys them all....to sell in his shop.

It wouldnt be so bad, but the 2 shops mark it up WAY too high.

$280.00 for 420 rounds.

$350 somethin for 1k.[/QUOTE

The Walmarts by me have been fully stocked. They all have a policy no more than 6 boxes at a time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

The_War_Wagon
03-07-12, 20:07
THIS, is up for re-election. :rolleyes:

http://iowntheworld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/obama-number-one-gun-salesman1.jpg

Are you familiar with Eric Holder, perchance?

Evil1969SS>LS6
03-08-12, 02:13
That's all well and good...but the president doesn't pass legislation...congress does.

Bullshit....BHO has bypassed Congress on several occasions by using Executive order.

NWPilgrim
03-08-12, 03:05
And the President can order illegal gun runner schemes to be operated out of executive branch agencies to bestir Congress into knee-jerk action.

And the President can order ATF, CDC, NEA, IRS, etc. to put the screws on FFLs and gun owners.

And the President nominates justices for the Supreme court. What is it already two he has placed, and another 2-3 likely coming up?

The President can't pass ObamaCare legislation, but somehow it did pass. I guess he can coerce Congress.

5pins
03-08-12, 08:03
Something going on. I went to buy some brass form Graf and Sons yesterday but got side tracked. When I went back later that evening the price went up $4 per hundred. I have noticed prices going up and more places showing “out of stock” on items”.

Last time the panic did not start until the day after the election and then it hit like a train. I think some people are remembering what happened last time and stocking up. I know I’m picking up some more stuff so I’m not searching for it later this year.

North Dakota Shooter
03-08-12, 09:27
No problems up here, every thing that I need is in stock, they are infact haveing a sale on .223 ammo this weekend

bones
03-09-12, 19:11
no problems in Denver

Letterby
03-09-12, 19:33
Makes me not hate Arizona so much. Need brass for reloading... A simple walk through the desert in known shooting spots. The only problem I have been having is locating CCI 500 primers locally.

GunnutAF
03-11-12, 20:14
I'm not worried one bit as I've kept my stocks well above average since the Usurper gain office!:D I learned my lesson after not having powder /primers available after the last time.

Boxerglocker
03-11-12, 23:59
Bullshit....BHO has bypassed Congress on several occasions by using Executive order.

Out of mere curiosity... would you care to name those particular issues? Links would be helpful.

Evil1969SS>LS6
03-12-12, 00:59
Out of mere curiosity... would you care to name those particular issues? Links would be helpful.

Google/Dogpile "Barack Obama uses executive order to pass legislation" you should find something...like "http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2011-10-26/obama-executive-orders/50942170/1"

Just do some searching bro...