PDA

View Full Version : New PSA. Build, or SW MP15

K9 jake
03-05-12, 06:29
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, this is my 1st post.
I'm in the mkt for my 1st AR, and I think I've about narrowed it down to those two.
Been reading some great info, by some of you, and was looking for some input on my choices, or maybe another option, for around $600-$650
I can build one from PSA with some upgrades, or go with an MP15
I'll just be ranging, hunting, sporting, and HP. I want something I can continue to upgrade in the future

Any input or suggestions will be much appreciated.

TedG
03-05-12, 07:42
If you have the resources, I would think that building your rifle would be most satisfying.

Grizzly16
03-05-12, 08:03
I'm in the mkt for my 1st AR, and I think I've about narrowed it down to those two.
Been reading some great info, by some of you, and was looking for some input on my choices, or maybe another option, for around $600-$650
I'll just be ranging, hunting, sporting, and HP. I want something I can continue to upgrade in the future

So you want a do it all rifle for $650? I think you may have not read as much as you claim.

Save up buy a colt 6920.

!Nvasi0n
03-05-12, 08:15
If ALL you will ever use it for is range work...hell yeah get the M&P-15 sport...if it's ever going to be propped up beside your bed at night loaded....or your go to SHTF rifle....then save a little more coin and get something from the top shelf!

With that said, I think the S&W is of better quality, w/more bang for your buck than a PSA of equivalence

Gun
03-05-12, 08:20
So you want a do it all rifle for $650? I think you may have not read as much as you claim.

Save up buy a colt 6920.

Think the OP was looking at PSA's Rifle Kit @ ~ $599

Then add shipping and 11%, then transfer fee.

Grizzly16
03-05-12, 08:36
Think the OP was looking at PSA's Rifle Kit @ ~ $599

Then add shipping and 11%, then transfer fee.

Yep, and I'm assuming in his post HP meant home protection.

So he wants an ar to:
1. Range plink with
2. Hunt with
3. Save his life with

A $600 kit from PSA doesn't fall in to the category of rifle to do all three of those to me.

K9 jake
03-05-12, 08:49
Yeah, I am looking at the kits. I can have it all sent To me, except the lower,
Ur prob right, it'll wind up being $700+, before I'm done.
I think doing the kit will acquaint me with the rifle better, as well as being more satisfying. Plus I'll get an ejector cover and I can get it in brown or green and just make it the way I want it.
Like I said, this is my first one, I just wanna get my feet wet. I love the caliber and have a couple of bolt actions in it, already. Thanks for all the input so far, guys, keep it coming

jet80tv
03-05-12, 08:53
Yeah, I am looking at the kits. I can have it all sent To me, except the lower,
Ur prob right, it'll wind up being $700+, before I'm done.
I think doing the kit will acquaint me with the rifle better, as well as being more satisfying. Plus I'll get an ejector cover and I can get it in brown or green and just make it the way I want it.
Like I said, this is my first one, I just wanna get my feet wet. I love the caliber and have a couple of bolt actions in it, already. Thanks for all the input so far, guys, keep it coming

You have a couple of bolt actions in 5.56? Or .223?

K9 jake
03-05-12, 08:54
.223 savages

lethal dose
03-05-12, 08:56
Save the extra $200 and get peace of mind with a colt. You'll never outgrow it, either.

justin_247
03-05-12, 09:24
You can easily find Colt 6920s on the internet nowadays for less than $950.

You should be able to find LMT SPM16s for around the same price, as well. You may even be able to find a DD XV or a Charles Daly M4LE, although both of these models are no longer in production.

If those two are both above your price range, I would look at getting a rifle from Spike's Tactical - their basic models go for about $850.

Only after exhausting those options would I go with the S&W, which are still excellent rifles.

PSA still has not established their reputation, and they have had a few hick-ups.

K9 jake
03-05-12, 10:01
I have considered the spikes tactical, and just saw a vid uploaded to here by someone, about the colt. (wal mart)
I couldn't tell from the vid, but the colt had a carry handle
I wonder if it is removable? I kinda prefer the flat top, as I will be adding optics

K9 jake
03-05-12, 10:08
I liked the idea of PSA, because they are fairly local to me, (only about a six hr drive) I knew they were kinda new guys on the block, but I have read some pretty good reviews.

Beat Trash
03-05-12, 10:10
The Colt model 6920 that many are going to strongly suggest you buy has a removable carry handle. You can mount whatever you wish on it's flat top upper.

Currently they can be had for only a couple of hundred dollars above what you're looking at. This was not always so. They used to be difficult to obtain and the cost was much more.

The couple of hundred dollars you'll spend up front will more than pay off in the long run. What you'll have is a gun that would be extremely difficult to out grow. It'll serve well no matter what your intended usage might be. Anywhere from plinking as a range toy, to defending your home for those late night "Oh Sh*t" unexpected surprises, to SHTF (what ever that may be).

p22shooter30
03-05-12, 10:12
call grant ---- yeah i said it first!!!! :sarcastic:

TacCommE21
03-05-12, 10:25
PSA is only 1.5 hours from me and I don't own anything from them. Of course that may be because DD is 1.5 hours the other direction.

Proximity to your current location does not equal better rifle or better CS.

Buy a 6920 from Grant. If you can't wait, I'd be willing to bet there is a Wal-Mart less than thirty minutes away.

devinsdad
03-05-12, 10:33
The Smith is a good rifle that will be fantastic for starting out and learning all the basics. It will also carry with it a lifetime warranty should it ever not do it's job. You can always upgrade from there and add or replace whatever you desire. The biggest point (for me) for buying Colt, DD, BCM is the amount of testing they do prior to leaving the factory. Some things get weeded out before you have to find them. Best of luck, it's both fun and a PITA to get started on a new platform.

svtpwnz
03-05-12, 13:11
I'm looking at putting together a BCM blem lower, BCM CL 16" middy upper/barrel, BCM BCG and BCM gunfighter CH for a grand total of $850 + shipping and a $15 transfer fee. I already have a stock and handguard left over from upgrading my other rifle. Even if you had to buy a new stock and handguard, you could still easily be well under a grand with a BCM. I would save a little more for a better rifle, just my .02

maddawg5777
03-05-12, 14:02
Buy once cry once and be done. Colt or BCM are top notch and can be had for under a grand. also they are "upgradeable" accessory wise, but you'll never have to upgrade something reliability wise.

Beat Trash
03-05-12, 14:08
Buy once cry once and be done. Colt or BCM are top notch and can be had for under a grand. also they are "upgradeable" accessory wise, but you'll never have to upgrade something reliability wise.

This...

It will most likely save you money in the long run vs. buying lower quality and having to pour money into the gun to fix what should have been done in the first place.

NoveskeFan
03-05-12, 14:14
Follow the advise you are being given here. If you can save up $700+, then you can save up a few hundred more. Don't get caught up in buying the cheap accessories that make AR's look "cool". Start your foundation with a proven manufacturer and go from there.

polymorpheous
03-05-12, 14:22
The Colt model 6920 that many are going to strongly suggest you buy has a removable carry handle. You can mount whatever you wish on it's flat top upper.

Currently they can be had for only a couple of hundred dollars above what you're looking at. This was not always so. They used to be difficult to obtain and the cost was much more.

The couple of hundred dollars you'll spend up front will more than pay off in the long run. What you'll have is a gun that would be extremely difficult to out grow. It'll serve well no matter what your intended usage might be. Anywhere from plinking as a range toy, to defending your home for those late night "Oh Sh*t" unexpected surprises, to SHTF (what ever that may be).

OP, listen to this man.

J_Dub_503
03-05-12, 15:17
If you ever intend on using this rifle to protect yourself or a loved one, don't cheap out. Buy a BCM, DD, or Colt and be satisfied that you own a quality rifle. I look at it like this...if I were to buy a pistol for ccw/hd I'm sure in the hell not going to buy Hi-point. Especially when a Glock or M&P (J frames as well for all you revolver guys) is within an arms reach. I want to feel fully confident that my guns going to go "Click, Boom" every time I pull the trigger.

fdxpilot
03-05-12, 16:05
I liked the idea of PSA, because they are fairly local to me, (only about a six hr drive) I knew they were kinda new guys on the block, but I have read some pretty good reviews.

I have two rifles built from PSA parts, a 5.56 20" and a 6.8SPC hunting rifle. I have also used their lowers for several builds. That being said, when I look to a rifle for self-defence or SHTF purposes, I grab either the Daniels or the Colt. As PSA matures and improves their reputation (mostly involving Customer Service issues and delays due to high volumes of business) it may move into the upper level of ARs.

IYAAYASwarrior
03-05-12, 16:09
Save more, you get more. To me when you buy a weapon there is no room for penny pinching.

m4brian
03-05-12, 16:55
PSA Lower stripped.
A5 VLTOR and Imod.
G&R LPK and MAYBE the Geiselle deal he has.
BCM LW upper w/FSP. MOE HG. About as cheap as you can get and do it right.

Or... save and buy a 6720.

K9 jake
03-05-12, 17:40
I think you guys have just about talked me into the colt. After doing a ton of webbing on the subject, today, I think the extra money will be worthwhile.
Who is "Grant"

J_Dub_503
03-05-12, 17:42
Grant is a forum member who owns http://www.gandrtactical.com This is the best place to by your Colt.

lethal dose
03-05-12, 17:44
g&r tactical.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920

out right now... i'm sure he'll be getting more in soon. pm him here (c4igrant) and ask him.dealing with grant is 100% worth your while. i promise you.

JSGlock34
03-05-12, 17:45

I would not build a rifle for my first and only AR. I'd take a factory rifle over a parts build any day of the week. With a limited budget, a warranty matters. If something is wrong with a kit rifle that you built on the cheap, you could find yourself owning a money pit as you sink more funds into an effort to fix it. And a factory rifle will be easier to sell when you are ready to upgrade down the line.

I concur with those who say to delay your purchase until you can afford a BCD (BCM, Colt or DD) rifle. The current price on the Colt 6920 is an excellent deal.

My two cents.

anthony1
03-06-12, 00:49
If you dont want the carry handle check out the 6720.

K9 jake
03-06-12, 08:46
I'll deal with the handle for $20.00, isn't it a rear sight?

K9 jake
03-06-12, 09:00
I just want to thank everybody for their help, on this. Keep the responses coming
I have pretty much decided to go with the SP6920, as of now. I realize that the prices won't be going down, anytime soon.
I have contacted Grant, at gandrtactical.com, and he is going to contact me, when he gets some more in stock.
Sucks that I'm gonna be waiting, but I hope it's not too long.
I've read some of his threads on here, and he seems like an awesome guy to deal with, it was cool, what he did for the guy who brought in the "awesomeness" build. Not everyone would've helped that guy out.

Beat Trash
03-06-12, 09:21
I'll deal with the handle for $20.00, isn't it a rear sight?
Yes it is.

The SP6920 you are waiting for Grant to get back in stock is an excellent choice and will be good to go out of the box. He's supposed to have them back in stock shortly.

There are several things one can add to it, depending on the needs of the gun. A Red Dot Optic (Aimpoint) and a white light for a defensive gun is an example. The benefits many of these additions bring are well worth the additional cost.

But do yourself a favor and do some research before you start buying crap and hanging it onto your new gun, just because. If you don't know exactly why you are adding an item to your gun and what issue it's going to assist with, then stop.

Grizzly16
03-06-12, 09:29
I just want to thank everybody for their help, on this. Keep the responses coming
I have pretty much decided to go with the SP6920, as of now. I realize that the prices won't be going down, anytime soon.
I have contacted Grant, at gandrtactical.com, and he is going to contact me, when he gets some more in stock.
Sucks that I'm gonna be waiting, but I hope it's not too long.
I've read some of his threads on here, and he seems like an awesome guy to deal with, it was cool, what he did for the guy who brought in the "awesomeness" build. Not everyone would've helped that guy out.

The wait will probably be less than the wait when you have to send back jacked up parts to PSA :blink:

TMS951
03-06-12, 09:31
Based on the barrel I would go with the PSA (if you are getting the FN forged barrel)

Many people love the 6920, I would never buy one because of the barrel profile and gas system.

PSA really seems to understand their rifle needs to be at the top of the "chart" to sell/be accepted.

There have been some bad stories, but I would be willing to take a chance, but the rifle and put 1000rounds through it. If there are no failures and everything is as it should be I would be happy.

Otherwise maybe a colt 6720?

Personally I have never bought a complete AR. I have built them all, some like my KAC, were a factory assembled upper. I have no regrets here, I have what I want in a rifle. If you do a shitty job building a rifle you will end up with a shitty rifle, If you do a good job...

My goto rifle is one that I totally built. It is exactly what I want and I think it has many improvements over the 6920. It has never failed me, and being put together myself I know the attention to detail that went into it.

K9 jake
03-06-12, 13:17
[QUOTE=Beat Trash;1250674]Yes it is.

There are several things one can add to it, depending on the needs of the gun.

I have a surefire M9 white light, given to me by one of my enlisted buddies, but will I be able to mount it on the fore end, as it comes out of the box?

I was thinking of an aimpoint, trijicon, or an eotech sight. At a later date, of course.