PDA

View Full Version : Stock Handguard

gotoplanb
03-05-12, 12:50
Hey guys - does anyone know/think if the AR15 stock handguard traps heat in the barrel/gas tube area? I am working on a build and have leftover parts (stock handguard) and am thinking of using it or maybe just getting a picatinny free-float. I just don't really wanna spend $100 on a rail handguard. Thoughts?

aaron_c
03-05-12, 12:56
It may trap more heat than a FF rail, since a FF rail is open on the end usually, and has more openings along the handguard to allow air to flow better...but the stock one would work fine and not cause any issues. If you want something other than the stock handguard, you could look into the MOE series handguards. I like them a lot.

Iraqgunz
03-05-12, 13:07
Here's a thought. Before rails came along our U.S military used standard handguards for decades, including in combat.

gotoplanb
03-05-12, 13:19
Here's a thought. Before rails came along our U.S military used standard handguards for decades, including in combat.

fine... i'll build an old-school config :agree:

maddawg5777
03-05-12, 13:50
My issue M4 had stock handgaurds on it for quite awhile and has seen alot of burst fire...... still shoot fine and the weapon is pretty old.

JBIRD1371
03-05-12, 13:52
It may trap more heat than a FF rail, since a FF rail is open on the end usually, and has more openings along the handguard to allow air to flow better...but the stock one would work fine and not cause any issues. If you want something other than the stock handguard, you could look into the MOE series handguards. I like them a lot.

My old room mate put the MOE series on his Mid length. I really liked it. I went with the Troy 13" Alpha rail to get a better sight radius, and I will never go back.

SpaceWrangler
03-05-12, 14:32
The double-heat shield M-4 handguards were (obviously) designed to keep barrel and gas tube heat away from the shooter's support hand during long durations of heavy fire at or near the recommended sustained rate of fire. My point: Unless you're laying down high volumes of suppressive fire from your burst-enabled M-4 or full-auto M-4A1, you'll probably be fine.

My semi-auto Colt 6933 has the double-heat shield M-4 handguards, and they function just as they ought to... the barrel heats the air inside the handguard, which then rises and vents out through the top vent holes. As the warm air rises and leaves the handguard, cool air is drawn in from the bottom row of vent holes and rises as it warms, venting upward just like a chimney.

My older Colt 6520 has the thinner diameter, single-heat shield "CAR" handguards. Although I can feel a bit of warmth conducted through them and convecting through the vent holes, it's not uncomfortable... just warm.

You'll be fine.