PDA

View Full Version : Buy now

Doc Safari
03-05-12, 12:53
http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/03/03/3781758/some-say-re-election-fear-is-driving.html#storylink=omni_popular

Enthusiasts are stocking up on guns and ammunition, and some in the industry are wondering whether sales are spiking as they did after Democrat Barack Obama won the presidency in 2008.

That rush created a nationwide shortage.

"We're at the top of the roller coaster and we're about to plummet down the side," said DeWayne Irwin, owner of the Cheaper Than Dirt gun store in north Fort Worth, which set a sales record for the month of February. "It's fixing to happen again. I don't know if it will be to the same extent it was before, but I see it coming.

I think this may be the first time the media is actually predicting shortages.

That article also goes on to list the NICS check statistics: huge increases. Glock sales: huge increase. You get the idea.

It also talks about the fear that Barry won't have to worry about re-election next time and will go after gun ownership with a vengeance.

I mainly watch ammo sites right now, and I am amazed that the ones who show their inventory online go through almost a roller coaster of something being available one day and out of stock the next.

Has anyone heard from Bravo Company lately? What are they quoting now as far as availability of new rifles?

I'm not trying to cause a panic...the panic is already here. I'm just informing people don't be fence-sitters: buy now or you may do without for several months.

polymorpheous
03-05-12, 13:27
There are a couple of threads already pertaining to this.

TehLlama
03-05-12, 13:33
As each new datum arrives, what we've already assumed is simply going to become more apparent.

On the upside, the used market for stuff I don't care about much anymore is going to be quite decent.

C4IGrant
03-05-12, 13:48
I think I started advising everyone of this last year (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77752).

Just as an FYI, my Feb. sales set the record for MOST sales EVER in our companies history (clue)!

We cannot get ANY COLT products (all sold out). We cannot get a lot of the ammo we normally stock, etc, etc.

C4

munch520
03-05-12, 14:13
Just asked the wife for a Dillon 550 for my birthday.

buzz_knox
03-05-12, 15:00
I think I started advising everyone of this last year (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77752).

Just as an FYI, my Feb. sales set the record for MOST sales EVER in our companies history (clue)!

We cannot get ANY COLT products (all sold out). We cannot get a lot of the ammo we normally stock, etc, etc.

C4

Grant, does this mean that the shipment of 6720s you were expecting this month has been delayed/cancelled?

C4IGrant
03-05-12, 16:10
Grant, does this mean that the shipment of 6720s you were expecting this month has been delayed/cancelled?

They may still show up, but I was supposed to get all that Colt stuff LAST MONTH.

C4

buzz_knox
03-05-12, 16:30
Underatood. I shall (im)patiently await the notification that the 6720s have arrived.

GeorgiaBoy
03-05-12, 17:44
Ammo has been getting scarce for a while now. I used to could fine AE or PMC 9MM 115gr. for $9.99 a box. Now I can't find it for less than $10.50. XM193 has increased a dollar a box at most of the cheaper retailers.

Ammo prices had been stable for about two years now, and it looks like it will be another 2 or more years for it to be stable again. I don't understand why people think that by buying ammo now, that they will probably never really shoot anyway, is going to do anything for them if Obama "ban's" guns or taxes ammo. Most of those that are now buying would probably be affected little.

My purchasing levels haven't really changed in the past 3 years.

I also don't think its just hoarders or "stockpilers" either. New gun sales are largely contributing to the shortage as well. If each new gun owner buys 50 rounds of ammo with their new firearm, that's an additional 750,000,000 rounds per year (with 16 mil purchases a year) even if they DON'T buy any more ammo for a entire year.

Eurodriver
03-05-12, 18:05
I will only start hoarding if Romney is elected.

Axcelea
03-06-12, 17:10
Luckily I think all this buying is sending a good message. Kinda messed up though that the pocket book may be more powerful than voting, petitions, etc although what else is old news :secret:

montanadave
03-06-12, 19:25

C4

I do what I can. :thank_you2:

panzerr
03-06-12, 19:35
I'm not trying to cause a panic...the panic is already here. I'm just informing people don't be fence-sitters: buy now or you may do without for several months.

No, but you are perpetuating it.

kaiservontexas
03-06-12, 20:01
One should not feel anxiety over their liberties . . .

So what does the panic say about everything?

If they would have listened to voting or the pocketbook then there would be no panic buying and hoarding going on today.

ralph
03-06-12, 20:13
Just asked the wife for a Dillon 550 for my birthday.

Probably a wise move...I bought one 12 yrs ago, used a single stage for 19 yrs prior to that.. Going to a progressive press was the best move I ever made as far as reloading goes.. Now you need to start looking around for componets...

Doc Safari
03-06-12, 20:38

To me that's not a bad thing if it motivates people to stop procrastinating. I think it would be more selfish to tell people not to buy so there's more for me (not that anyone would listen; we all know what's coming).

C4IGrant
03-07-12, 09:02

Some people are not aware that there are already shortages or what happens during election years.

Becuase of their ignorance to this matter, around October, they will go and try to buy an AR, ammo and mags and either get screwed on the price or won't find any.

C4

a1fabweld
03-07-12, 09:23
Is it just me or were shortages much worse about this time before the last election?

Eurodriver
03-07-12, 10:00
Some people are not aware that there are already shortages or what happens during election years.

Becuase of their ignorance to this matter, around October, they will go and try to buy an AR, ammo and mags and either get screwed on the price or won't find any.

C4

I've never understood that.

Its not like mid November Obama (Romney might) is going to push for a permanent assault weapons ban or anything.

munch520
03-07-12, 11:19
Probably a wise move...I bought one 12 yrs ago, used a single stage for 19 yrs prior to that.. Going to a progressive press was the best move I ever made as far as reloading goes.. Now you need to start looking around for componets...

Oh I am, already hoarding brass and random components. Ordered tumbler, media, powder gauge, Lee zip (case cutter) yesterday...in the process of building another work bench to mount the press to. Fun times a-comin in my basement.

RogerinTPA
03-07-12, 12:26
It's all cyclic in nature. We have seen it many times before. As the fortune cookie saying goes, "Fail to Plan, is a Plan to Fail".

NWPilgrim
03-07-12, 13:32
Is it just me or were shortages much worse about this time before the last election?

NO the ammo shortages did not start until AFTER The election. I was buying AR15s in 2007 and by spring 2008 they were getting harder to come by. I increased my stocking levels of ammo in early 2008 and it was a couple of days after the election that ammo sales went through the roof and shortages started. I also got in front of the component shortage by a a few months, which really hit around the first of 2009.

So it looks like this is ramping up well ahead of the last election cycle.

NWPilgrim
03-07-12, 13:47

NO the ammo shortages did not start until AFTER The election. I was buying AR15s in 2007 and by spring 2008 they were getting harder to come by. I increased my stocking levels of ammo in early 2008 and it was a couple of days after the election that ammo sales went through the roof and shortages started. I also got in front of the component shortage by a a few months, which really hit around the first of 2009.

So it looks like this is ramping up well ahead of the last election cycle.

Anyone who has been shooting for several years should know we have cycles of shortages and plentitude. If they gripe about another ammo shortage or fear mongering then it just means they did not plan ahead. Sort of like the farmer who complains about not having enough seed to re-plant for the inevitable weather disruptions. Same thing for cycles in food prices, etc.

Stocking up on supplies is NOT HOARDING. It is planning for ups and downs and creating a buffer for yourself against those swings in prices and availability. A business may not be able to afford stockpiling inventory. But individuals are foolish to depend on just in time buying of anything these days, including firearms.

Newbies and people who are not enthusiasts of firearms can not be expected to be aware of these cycles and will have to pay the premium prices. Firearms enthusiasts have no excuse not to be aware of the supply cycles and do the Proper Prior Planning to Prevent Piss Poor Performance.

You can bitch about other people's behavior, or you can plan for it and relax when it happens. Besides, shortages do not occur ONLY around elections. We have had them from import restrictions, war fighting, commodity prices, etc.

ralph
03-07-12, 19:16
NW Pilgrim's post is pretty much spot on..plan now or pay later, I remember before 9/11, I used to frequent TOS, and at one time was called "stupid" for reloading .223.. "because there was so much surplus around, it dosen't make sense to reload".. Well, After 9/11, and the following wars started, surplus ammo pretty much dried up.. prices on what was left went through the roof.The very same asshole who called me stupid for loading .223, was complaining in another post, that all he could afford to practice with was .22 rimfire..I informed him that I had a Dillon 550, and that there was no ammo shortage at my house... Anyway, I'm stocked up on components, rifles, handguns, mags, I'm sitting this one out..I'd say there's still plenty of time for anyone to get what they would need,I bought some primers and powder yesterday, and they had plenty of everything, For those of you who aren't prepared in the least, I would'nt dilly-dally too long..

duece71
03-07-12, 20:54
I have stopped buying guns, acoutrements and the like. Now, its all about ammo, ammo components (primers) and the like.

Eurodriver
03-07-12, 23:24
NW Pilgrim's post is pretty much spot on..plan now or pay later, I remember before 9/11, I used to frequent TOS, and at one time was called "stupid" for reloading .223.. "because there was so much surplus around, it dosen't make sense to reload".. Well, After 9/11, and the following wars started, surplus ammo pretty much dried up.. prices on what was left went through the roof.The very same asshole who called me stupid for loading .223, was complaining in another post, that all he could afford to practice with was .22 rimfire..I informed him that I had a Dillon 550, and that there was no ammo shortage at my house... Anyway, I'm stocked up on components, rifles, handguns, mags, I'm sitting this one out..I'd say there's still plenty of time for anyone to get what they would need,I bought some primers and powder yesterday, and they had plenty of everything, For those of you who aren't prepared in the least, I would'nt dilly-dally too long..

What was his response?

Mauser KAR98K
03-08-12, 01:18
Yep, primers and powder on my short list.

All this shows, to me, is how much America thinks the other half is stupid.

Rider79
03-08-12, 04:17
Fearmongerers.

I'm just gonna go dig up the BCGs markm buried during the last panic.

ralph
03-08-12, 07:47
What was his response?

Who's response? If you mean the person I was talking about in my post, he did'nt post one, I did however, enjoy rubbing it in..

I've always advocated reloading for calibers that you shoot alot, not only will you be in a better position to ride out any shortages (provided you plan accordingly) But, you'll cut your ammo costs by at least 50%. Sure, it'll cost a few bucks to get set up with good equiptment, But, that will pay for itself quickly. That, and you can usually make better ammo than what's in the store. Right now, there dosen't seem to be any shortages of primers, powder, bullets, brass, and if one shops around on the 'net there are a few places that offer free shipping for brass, bullets.. How this will play out later on this summer, early fall, I don't know. But, I'm not going to get caught with MY pants down....What Grant said on the other page about this being the best Feb. for sales is what I'd call a clue..I've been to his shop within the last couple of weeks, and the shelves are getting increasingly bare, He had a total of 3 Colt M4's (NIB) then, Look on his site now, and they're all sold out.And he's not sure when he's getting any more in..

Doc Safari
03-08-12, 08:57
I do not think this panic has yet reached the levels of the previous Obama panic.

For one thing, during the last one my friends in the gun business (FFL's) would routinely ask me if I had any firearms to sell, because they needed product to fill empty shelf space. We're not there yet.

I do believe we are at the leading edge of Obama Panic Part Deux, and by mid-summer we will be seeing a full-blown buying frenzy where you may have trouble getting a lot of things. Right now I notice a stockout here and a stockout there, but with alternate sources too if you look hard enough.

GeorgiaBoy
03-12-12, 15:01
Fearmongering is just going to make it worse.

You can go back to 2008 and see these same types of threads. By 2010 everyone realized no one was banning guns or taxing ammo, so prices went down and supplies stabilized. Now this same speculating stuff is starting all over and in the end history will repeat itself.

You can buy as much as you want to hoard, but if anything actually does happen, your just sitting on a limited resource that will diminish eventually.

5pins
03-12-12, 15:25
I’m not buying stuff now so I can horde it, I’m buying it now so I don’t have to search for it and pay a higher price in six months.

By the looks of things it’s going to be worse than 2008. Nobody was buying like this eight months ahead of the election.

OldState
03-12-12, 19:03
This is a side of human nature that really drives me nuts.

There very little chance gun laws will change if Chairman Maobama is elected again.

First, the president does not make laws; Congress does. The Republicans control the House and there are not enough anti gun Democrats in the Senate for them to even pass a bill.

Second, the Democrats learned their lesson in 2000 and 2004. Bill Clinton went on record as saying the NRA won't he election for Bush both times.

Third, all there nonsense has driven gun ownership to record levels meaning there are millions more gun owners in the voting population than in 2008.

My prediction - demand for guns and ammo will go up causing higher prices and increased production. Then, either Obama will lose, the GOP will will the Senate, no gun legislation will be passed, or some or all of the above.

Then the market will be flooded and prices will plummet.....just like the last time. :angry:

But people in general are idiots and perception is reality.

J-Dub
03-12-12, 20:45
My prediction is, i wont spend a dime anywhere that price gouges....

I'd rather go without than get bent over.

OldState
03-12-12, 21:14
My prediction is, i wont spend a dime anywhere that price gouges....

I'd rather go without than get bent over.

Exactly.

I have only reloaded for 45acp but I'm now setting up to start on the 4000 rounds of mostly LC brass I've been collecting.

I am currently in the market for a new pistol, but if things get out of hand I have no problem waiting until the gunmarket goes soft in a year or two.

03-12-12, 21:41
I have no problem waiting until the gunmarket goes soft in a year or two.

Where have you been hiding? Don't you know the world will end on 12/21/12?:D

a1fabweld
03-13-12, 00:02
I remember before the last election, right in the thick of the gun market chaos, quite a few people stated that it would be suicide for obama to go after guns during his first term when there are way more important issues that need to be addressed. However, they said if he gets a second term, watch out. I imagine those same guys butts are starting to pucker about this time & will continue to as election time gets closer.

I've already started hearing rumors that AR manufacturers are 1 year backordered at this point. I was looking over a few of my favorite ammo vendors today & availability seems to have started drying up. We still have 8 months to go before the elections. I can't imagine how fouled up the market will be by October. During the last frenzy I witnessed a guy at the range pay $1700 for a used DPMS rifle. OUCH!

hunt_ak
03-13-12, 01:12
I spoke with a rep at DD that told me that they have just recently (as of sometime last week) sold every possible rifle that they will be able to produce this year. He said their website needed to be updated to reflect lead times in to 2013...as in buying straight from DD. He also said they brought on a third shift and cannot keep up with demand...

Moose-Knuckle
03-13-12, 02:07
Will if Barry was the 2008 Salesman Of The Year, he sure has hell will be the 2012 Salesman Of The Year.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/AKS-74/obama-is-gun-salesman-of-the-year-reelection-2012.jpg

OldState
03-13-12, 14:34
This article is outstanding:

http://ammo.net/obama

With the shear numbers of new gun owners Obama has created, it looks like it will be increasingly hard for anti gun politicians to get elected for decades to come. Even with several recent shootings, the normal frenzy has toned down considerably. Ill put up with this frenzy for a year if it keeps this dope out of the White House and adds a few million more gun owners.

BTW, since Obama was elected I think I've counted 12 gun shows on TV. Say what you may of them, but overall I believe they are doing a great job at getting rid of the gun stigma that was created over the last 30 years.

NWPilgrim
03-13-12, 15:50
BTW, since Obama was elected I think I've counted 12 gun shows on TV. Say what you may of them, but overall I believe they are doing a great job at getting rid of the gun stigma that was created over the last 30 years.

I nominate Discovery Channel and History Channel for "Top Gunowner Recruiter" of the year. And Obama as "Top Toxic Lead Salesman of the Year."

a1fabweld
03-14-12, 23:11
I spent some time online today trying to find ammo for some friends & it's getting to be slim pickins in a hurry.