PDA

View Full Version : Member orionz06 questions on 300 BLK feedback

mark5pt56
03-05-12, 16:24
Member orionz06 requested a thread to ask some key questions in regards to the 300 BLK. I also see the validity if you were given ammunition and you have input on the functioning of the equipment.

"Have you paid for .300BLK out of your own pocket to shoot it, what are your thoughts?"

The goal would be to have feedback on the equipment as well as it's a valid concern of the various brands that we see in other calibers. We all like to know how x brand works and if you have any issues with it.

I'll be straight to the point and this isn't a complete rehash of the site rules.
1-Nobody here needs to justify there purchases-I don't give a rat's ass if you don't like how people spend their money.
2-Until you've settled a particular problem with an item with the manufacturer per site rules, than don't bitch about it here.
3-If jim-bob put your upper together with a pipe wrench, duct tape and parts unknown except, as an example a barrel-don't blame who made the barrel if it doesn't work.
4-It's not a thread for you to whine about why do we need it, does your 5.56 do the job, etc, etc, etc.

Bottom line is carry on with genuine reports of factual information, not bloated reports of accuracy or hillybilly ballistic reports.

One example may be " I purchased x brand of factory assembled upper and have shot 800 rounds of ammunition to date. Tried 3 brands and found that x brand works 100% as do the others but this load is the most accurate by a small margin. I used all x brand magazines, lubed well and haven't experienced a single malfunction to date. I clean after every range session and have fired a maximum of 400 rounds without cleaning. I know it's not a full report, just an example.
What I don't want to see is "this caliber is shit, went out fired 100 rounds using irons at 100 from different positions. Was 15 degree's with 40 MPH winds and it would only barely keep them on a IPSC target.

I'm done for now--I wanted to make a point and if you have nothing factual or contributing-then simply don't post and go beat your head into the wall.

I would also like to say that I have a 6.8, a 300BLK and 5.56 carbines, like them all. I have a purpose for them. They all have a place in my opinion.

Keep it clean and have fun.

orionz06
03-05-12, 17:50
Thanks for setting this up.

GunnutAF
03-05-12, 19:18
O.K I'll bite.

I bought a CMMG 300 BLK upper off the net- found a gun shop down in TX that actually had one ! Probably paided alittle to much- but it was $85 cheaper then from CMMG. All said a done with the addition MBUIS and optic came to over a grand to switch over. My primary Mag is a Stoner 20 rounder, tried 30 round GI and they were not as reliable.

As for ammo- I bought 2 boxes of AAA 125gr pink tips for brass as I wasn't sure if I could find reloading dies right away. Good ammo consistant velocity(Chronied) Brass sucks for reloading- got 2 reloads before primer pockets were to loose- primers actually fell out!:(

Been using reloads- cast to be exact- primary plinking /target load is the Lee 150 gr GC bullet over 16.5 gr of IMR 4227 in reformed cases (FC). I'm not into the Subs just Suppers for me. Also reload the 125gr Speer TNT- Excellant SD/HD round, 130 gr Speer HP is going to be my primary hunting load. The one observation feeding in any mag one has to be very cognisent of the bullet olcove as load it to long it wil not feed properly becuase of the rib in 5.56mm mags. All together I'd say I got 200 rounds of trouble free shooting through it so far, I'm not an operator so take what I've said with a grain of salt. :D

v188
03-06-12, 10:10
Okay, my experiences. I wanted to try out the 300BLK, and had a Savage bolt gun in 22-250 that I never used. I took it to Mike Klos, New Melle Gun Shop, MO and had it rebarreled. Got it cerakoted green, looks great. It still has the Leupold VX2 on it that I used with 22-250.

How does it shoot? Well I haven't had any issues. I've shot some subsonic reloads, got/shot several boxes of Gunn, and have a case of factory UMC (115 gn?) if I recall the weight. I shoot it all behind a 30 cal suppressor. I got it too late for deer season, but I suspect it'll take a fair share of deer next season.

I think the round has lots more capability when the frag subsonic is realized. I'll probably pick up a shorty upper for my RR M16 sometime, but not sure it fills a useful role eg, blasting subs FA. Prob still do it tho.

As a cartridge I'm quite impressed for what it is, it does the job well.

Todd.K
03-06-12, 11:12
tried 30 round GI and they were not as reliable.

With factory or reloads?

GunnutAF
03-07-12, 00:27
Todd.K
That was with reloads! I'll have to go back and revaluate it again now that you mentioned it. I'll run some AAA 125 through and get back with you!;) Now that I've set the COAL for the reloads now that I think of it when I used the GI mags I was using a longer CAOL so like I said I'll run another test.:D

fastfive0
03-07-12, 08:18
I bought a 16" cmmg upper when they were released about a year ago. I have at least 800-1k rounds through it without any failures. I have shot all subsonic both suppressed and unsuppressed. Ammo has been Remington factory 220gr and currently working on handloads of 208 amax. Mags are pmags. My upper has the carbine gas system not the pistol.

orionz06
03-15-12, 17:34
I bought a 16" cmmg upper when they were released about a year ago. I have at least 800-1k rounds through it without any failures. I have shot all subsonic both suppressed and unsuppressed. Ammo has been Remington factory 220gr and currently working on handloads of 208 amax. Mags are pmags. My upper has the carbine gas system not the pistol.

What were your reasons for buying it, expectations, and comparison to 5.56? In short, why this and not 5.56? From reading your other posts it seems that you purchased another upper as well, I assume you are happy with the first.

fastfive0
03-15-12, 19:52
Well my initial reason for the blk was that I wanted a quiet host weapon for a 9mm suppressor. I saw a video from silencerco where they ran their osprey on a blk rifle and it was amazingly quiet. At that point I bought the only blk upper I could find in stock at the time. After becoming hooked on the caliber I started doing a lot of research and realized that the blk shines as an sbr. So since my girl took over the 16" from day one I decided I needed a shorter one. I'm sure you saw pics here or on pafoa. But really once I got past the "quiet factor" I realized the other benefits of the blk. It's really a great upgrade for a cqb gun over the 5.56. I do enjoy 5.56 but if 220gr subs where around $10/box my 5.56 rifles wouldn't see much use. As it stands right now my 6920 is still my go to shtf gun. But mainly due to abundance of ammo. When Walmart starts stocking blk that may change.

Hot Holster
03-15-12, 21:55
I also bought a CMMG upper, added a Spikes BCG, Spikes lower w/PSA MOE lpk kit, not suppressed, and for an optic, go ahead and laugh, a TruGlo multi reticle/dual color sight. Total weight is a bit over 7.25 lbs.

My intentions were for hog hunting. The first hunt I took 2 hogs with one shot.

I use PMags 20 and 30 round, AR Stoner 5 (hunting) and 10 round, and USGI 30 round with no feed problems. I have used 220gr, 130gr, and 125gr Gunn ammo, and 115gr UMC, at the range, and I use Atlantic Arms 125gr Nosler ballistic for hunting.

The rifle has not been able to cycle subsonic rounds, but everything else feeds, fires, and ejects without any issues. I am not the best shooter for accuracy but the rifle does the job keeping everything in fairly tight groups. At the range one day, I let a very good shooter fire a few rounds because of his interest in the 300Blk. His three shots (benched) were all overlapped just right of dead center at 75 yards.

I intend on getting another 300Blk upper and put an illuminated reticle scope on it for longer distance shots and night hunts. I also have two other AR's, an LMT, and a S&W M&P.

rob_s
04-03-12, 15:47
I'd like to hear from more of our 300 BLK shooters on this. With the ammo all but impossible to buy, are any of the guys stockpiling it actually shooting it?

We have a whole picture thread just for this one caliber, but none of the owners from that thread are getting to the range with them?

I will say that I paid $0 to shoot 1600 rounds of 300 BLK through a T&E AAC 9" upper (since returned). 1140 of that was 220 grain Remington subsonic through an AAC 762-SDN-6 can which I was given, 275 Remington 123 grain supersonic unsuppressed, and 190 22 grain unsuppressed.

I had 13 partial failures to feed with 220 grain suppressed, and 4 doublefeeds with the 123 grain unsuppressed. I was able to replicate the 123 grain feeding issue which stemmed from a too-short OAL allowing the round to shift in the magazine, and which was the same cause of the round ceasing production.

kdcgrohl
04-03-12, 16:04
I've been busy chasing down a problem with a 556 gun the last few weeks, but did get in a little range time with the 300.
12" Noveske, 762SDN6.
I have some Gunn ammo, which I didn't get a chance to test.
I had no problem with a couple magazines of Rem UMC and 220 subs.
I did have what was apparently an over HOT load of Atlanta Arms pink tips. Primer came out, case was forced back into the bolt hard enough to deform, extracted, then next round was jammed by that primer lodging between the bolt and an extension lug. AAA has offered to replace said ammo.
Unfortunately, this was just an optic zeroing outing. More to come.

Iraqgunz
04-03-12, 16:06
rob_s,

Why is the ammo all but impossible to buy? Just curious because I plan on building one very soon and I have been shopping for ammo. There seems to be plenty of it available.

I even found some Remington for 12.95 a box.

I'd like to hear from more of our 300 BLK shooters on this. With the ammo all but impossible to buy, are any of the guys stockpiling it actually shooting it?

We have a whole picture thread just for this one caliber, but none of the owners from that thread are getting to the range with them?

I will say that I paid $0 to shoot 1600 rounds of 300 BLK through a T&E AAC 9" upper (since returned). 1140 of that was 220 grain Remington subsonic through an AAC 762-SDN-6 can which I was given, 275 Remington 123 grain supersonic unsuppressed, and 190 22 grain unsuppressed.

I had 13 partial failures to feed with 220 grain suppressed, and 4 doublefeeds with the 123 grain unsuppressed. I was able to replicate the 123 grain feeding issue which stemmed from a too-short OAL allowing the round to shift in the magazine, and which was the same cause of the round ceasing production.

rushca01
04-03-12, 16:45

Rob. This is the first I have read of your review from your t&e of the 300blk. I am interested as I am looking to put together a 10" Noveske 300blk using the lmt cqb upper.

Granted its only a 1% failure rate overall, 17 failures over 1600 rounds. Majority was with a sub sonic suppressed round which is a niche product anyways with a 1.2% failure rate (14/1140). So if we take out the niche sub rounds our failure rate goes up 1.4% (4/275).

fastfive0
04-03-12, 16:55
Update* built a 10" blk upper around a noveske barrel with a pistol gas system a couple weeks ago. Have about 200 rounds through it since building and no fails with 220gr rem subs both suppressed or unsuppressed. Obviously the gun isn't even broken in yet but it's some info for you guys.
As for ammo my local gun shop usually keeps some 220gr subs in stock for me but buying bulk online hasn't been a problem. I know if at least two places I could order 115gr umc or 220gr subs from right now that are in stock and fairly priced.

JasonM
04-03-12, 17:20
Rob. This is the first I have read of your review from your t&e of the 300blk. I am interested as I am looking to put together a 10" Noveske 300blk using the lmt cqb upper.

Granted its only a 1% failure rate overall, 17 failures over 1600 rounds. Majority was with a sub sonic suppressed round which is a niche product anyways with a 1.2% failure rate (14/1140). So if we take out the niche sub rounds our failure rate goes up 1.4% (4/275).

Just a couple notes re:the ammo Rob had-

Both of it was from the very first runs of factory ammo,
The 220gr subsonic was initially loaded with too long of an OAL, causing feed problems. This round was quickly shortened and it feeds well now.

The original factory FMJ supersonic (the 123gr) just used existing 123gr 308 bullets, resulting in a way-too-short OAL. Rounds could shift around a lot inside mags and also have trouble feeding.

Robert worked with sierra and Remington to design a new supersonic bullet shape that had an ogive that hit the magazine rib properly and also allow loading to the proper (mag length) OAL. This is the bullet shape used in the Rem UMC 115gr as well as the 125 match.

FYI, YMMV, etc...

wahoo95
04-03-12, 17:58
I've got 400rds of 115gr UMC, 60rds AA Pink Tip, 40rds Gunn 130gr, and 120rds of 220gr Remington thru my 11.3" with no issues at all. I have been using Okay Ind. GI and a 20rd OD PMag with no issues.

10 of the Subsonics were shot unsuppressed to check function and the rest were shot with a SWR Trident 9 mounted via fixed barrel mount.

I have since removed the TAC-30 and mounted a Burris Fastfire II in a Burris AR Mount sighted in at 32 yds

Built my upper from the following:
DSArms Upper Receiver
Wilson Combat 11.3"
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Centurion 10.0 Handguard
Troy Low Pro Gas Block
DPMS Gas Tube
BCM Barrel Nut
DSArms Trident Flash Hider
Burris Tac-30
Leupold Mark 2 Mount
Magpul MBUS

Finally tracked down a set of dies so I will begin shooting it more once I start loading for it.

Blame any mispellings on Autocorrect & Tapatalk

rob_s
04-03-12, 18:29
rob_s,

Why is the ammo all but impossible to buy? Just curious because I plan on building one very soon and I have been shopping for ammo. There seems to be plenty of it available.

I even found some Remington for 12.95 a box.

Maybe it's not. If that's the case then I wonder even more why we don't see more posts in this thread.

I'm basing that off of all the "where is the UMC ammo" threads I see and the apparent lack of participation here.

rob_s
04-03-12, 18:30
The original factory FMJ supersonic (the 123gr) just used existing 123gr 308 bullets,
Right, which was originally one of the advertised benefits that we now seem to be moving away from as we go to custom 300 BLK projectiles.

JasonM
04-03-12, 20:59
Right, which was originally one of the advertised benefits that we now seem to be moving away from as we go to custom 300 BLK projectiles.

There are many .308 bullets that work well. Remington's 123gr did not.

SomeOtherGuy
04-03-12, 21:07
I have two 300BLK uppers in use. One I assembled using an AR-Stoner (Midway) 16" carbine gas barrel, the other is a factory DS Arms 16" stainless carbine upper into which I installed an LMT BCG.

I've had zero failures to feed, fire, or eject with either of those uppers, but have done only limited testing so far. The home assembled one originally had repeated failures to lock open on an empty mag, but that was traced to a defective PSA BCG (topic of a thread two months ago) and was fixed temporarily with a used BCM BCG and permanently with a new DD BCG. No failures to lock back since replacing the defective BCG, and no failures of any kind, ever, on the DSA upper. I have used Rev M Magpul Pmags and Troy CBIR mags. Again, limited testing so far.

Eventually the homebuild will be a scoped deer rifle and the DSA might become a household defensive carbine, if it continues to be completely reliable.

I have not had any problem finding 300BLK ammo in stock, and have tried 130gr Gunn, 155gr PNW, and 115gr UMC. I paid $13/20 shipped for the UMC and have also seen it closer to $11/20, plus shipping. Sources for ammo are easy to find at the 300blktalk forums. It's regularly in stock at Midway and AIM among others, and Bullseye Gunshop of Georgia seems to have a lead on the UMC due to a historical relationship with AAC.

As for bullets and prices, the UMC ammo is within the price range promised, but with a special and premium bullet instead of a carry-over AK bullet. To me that is a good value proposition. It costs less than any US-made, brass-cased 7.62x39mm or 6.8 SPC ammo that I know of. Sure, it costs 2-3 times what cheap Russian AK ammo costs, but that's comparing a cheapo steel-cased round to a near-match-quality, reloadable brass-cased round.

Although Remington is not offering the obvious 147gr-150gr FMJ bullet option, other companies are (PNW and another small manufacturer that I can't remember at the moment), and many reloaders are doing so as well. Based on what I've read it seems to work fine as a practice load, with velocities in the range of 2000fps.

rob_s
04-04-12, 03:01
There are many .308 bullets that work well. Remington's 123gr did not.

I wonder, then, why so many of the factory loads are caliber-specific and not based on available projectiles?

and for the reloaders, which .308s have been shown to work well in the AR platform system?

rob_s
04-04-12, 03:02
I've had zero failures to feed, fire, or eject with either of those uppers, but have done only limited testing so far.

How many rounds is this? Total or per gun?

Todd.K
04-04-12, 10:43
I wonder, then, why so many of the factory loads are caliber-specific and not based on available projectiles? It is the best way to get the loaded ammo to fit perfectly in 5.56 mags. Using 5.56 mags has advantages for price and availability, and drawbacks like the short ogive 123gr 7.62x39 bullet being less reliable and reloaders needing to pay more attention to bullet shape and OAL.

and for the reloaders, which .308s have been shown to work well in the AR platform system?
147-150 FMJ, most any "match" bullet, and the 125 NBT have all worked well for me.

Zhurdan
04-04-12, 12:30
I've shot 400 rounds thru my Noveske 8" and have another 300 sitting at the house.

I haven't had much of a problem getting ammo (Remington), but getting Barnes Black Tip bullets for reloading on the other hand, has been problematic.

No issues thus far with the rifle.

usmc45
04-04-12, 21:41
16" Noveske Barrel. 2K rounds of 147gr FMJ. 100% perfect. About 20% of that was suppresed.

foxj66
04-08-12, 17:49
Hi every one New member to the forum here, My blackout experience:

I build an upper using a wilson combat barrel in carbine gas length, BCM upper and BCG sitting on my CMMG lower. I have shot most of a box of subsonic 220 Remington and several different hand loads made from cut down 223 cases. The 220s don't always cycle and have always failed to lock the bolt back. The hand loads have used 110 Hornady SP and 150 and 165 sierra game kings all over H110 and they have functioned great no issues with them. Mags used have been Cproducts 10 rounders and 30 round pmags. It has shot nice clovers at shorter ranges but 5 shot groups at 100 yards are around 2" and I believe it was my fault not correctly using the Lead sled after a new scope arrives I will be trying it for groups again. I am also going to try some 100gr SJ from hornady that a local shop has for 12 a hundred.