PDA

View Full Version : Going to Disney

Evil Bert
03-06-12, 13:30
The wife and I are planning a 10 day trip to disney this coming winter. I never leave the house without my EDC pistol. Whenever we go to the Outer Banks, NC, I take my pistol and my M4 with at least 2-3 full mags. Call me paranoid - whatever.

I live in VA and when we drive to FL, we cross a lot of state lines and some states are not as nice to firearms as others. My CCW in VA has full reciprocity with every state between here and FL except GA (why? dunno) but as long as it stays in my vehicle it is fine. We will likely not even stop in GA (we haven't before).

I am not concerned about the Pistol as I have the CCW, but the M4, as I understand should not be a problem either.

Any one know for sure about GA. I know there are no problems with NC, SC, FL. GA is just plain odd when it comes to firearms for some reason.

Pork Chop
03-06-12, 13:55
You can't take your ccw onto Disney property anyway. Just go have fun, we've been there 3 times & had a great time.

You may be able to leave it in your car, but Disney property is posted like a Court house.:p

kdcgrohl
03-06-12, 14:07
You can't take your ccw onto Disney property anyway. Just go have fun, we've been there 3 times & had a great time.

You may be able to leave it in your car, but Disney property is posted like a Court house.:p

Yeah, I didn't even try. Just left it at the condo.
My advice, get a good pack & take your own water bottles and snacks. Oh, and an otterbox for your electronics if you're going to do the water rides.

My first trip was @ 30 years old and it was a LOT of fun. Enjoy!

Pork Chop
03-06-12, 14:13
Yea, I should have offered that too. If you would like any other tips/advice about Disney feel free to pm me, but Disney is as anti-firearm as it gets.

I remember reading a story about them refusing to even allow off duty leo to carry on property awhile back, or something to that effect.

Evil Bert
03-06-12, 14:46
I guess I should have been more clear. I have no intention of taking into the parks. They stay in the vehicle in a special lockable compartment. My question is not about disney I know where disney stands. Disney policy is that guests with VALID CCW/CHP PERMITS can keep them in their cars just like employees under Florida Law.

So AGAIN, my questions is in taking my rifle and pistol across state-lines particularly when it comes to Georgia. NC, FL, and SC are okay. GA not so sure.

chadbag
03-06-12, 14:50
They are posted and you shouldn't do it etc. I did not when I was there (really).

However, there was nothing there that would have stopped me. Their "search" on entry is quite minimal in most cases and if you are deep concealment, they would never even get close.

Just FYI. I never ended up carrying there but it would not be hard for the discrete person to do so. (I have not been since 2009 but my 2007 and 2009 trips were identical experiences in terms of what I experienced getting in).

--

They won't stop a few water bottles or whatever, but I don't think you are supposed to bring in outside food and drink. So be discrete and don't bring in big coolers and stuff. We brought in some water bottles and apple slices and stuff.

But part of the fun experience is eating in the character restaurants etc or in Epcot at the country restaurants. So while our day to day food was brought (we left a cooler in the car and just went out and ate lunch in the car and went back in, and otherwise lived off a few discrete snacks and water bottles, plus ice cream bars we bought there), we ate at the Crystal Palace for Breakfast (kids loved that -- did it both times we were there -- Winnie the Pooh and gang and good old American Style breakfast), plus the Norwegian Pavilion restaurant and the German Pavilion Restaurant buffet for the 2 days we were at Epcot. We spent 7 days at Disney as a comparison. They are not cheap to eat at, but it is part of the experience for us to do it once or twice.

This year we have a California Disney trip scheduled for after Thanksgiving. Hopefully we will make it (dependent on business being good enough to afford it but we have the accommodation reservations made already). Have not been there since the early 1970s as a kid so I don't know what to expect.

Disney has been great fun for our family. I hope you enjoy it. (We had not been at all, ever to Florida, and I had only been to California as a kid around 35-40 years ago, but I took the family with to SHOT in Orlando in 2007 and 2009 IIRC and it was great fun. We also spent 2 days at Disney Tokyo in 2009 when visiting my MIL and SILs. We are diehard Disney converts now.) You can't be in a bad mood while there :-)

--

Evil Bert
03-06-12, 14:51
Yea, I should have offered that too. If you would like any other tips/advice about Disney feel free to pm me, but Disney is as anti-firearm as it gets.

I remember reading a story about them refusing to even allow off duty leo to carry on property awhile back, or something to that effect.
That policy about no guns in the park (period) for anyone is still in effect and likely always will be. However, read my comment above. Here is the link to the AP report: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?47970-Disney-revises-guns-to-work-policy&p=792106&viewfull=1#post792106

chadbag
03-06-12, 14:52
I guess I should have been more clear. I have no intention of taking into the parks. They stay in the vehicle in a special lockable compartment. My question is not about disney I know where disney stands. Disney policy is that guests with VALID CCW/CHP PERMITS can keep them in their cars just like employees under Florida Law.

So AGAIN, my questions is in taking my rifle and pistol across state-lines particularly when it comes to Georgia. NC, FL, and SC are okay. GA not so sure.

To be careful, just leave them locked in your trunk or lockable compartment per federal law and you are OK as you pass through GA.

obucina
03-06-12, 15:05
enjoy your upcoming stay in the Gunshine State :D

Pork Chop
03-06-12, 15:21
That policy about no guns in the park (period) for anyone is still in effect and likely always will be. However, read my comment above. Here is the link to the AP report: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?47970-Disney-revises-guns-to-work-policy&p=792106&viewfull=1#post792106

Gotcha. I've never felt the need to carry my rifle with me to Disney, but I think just following Fed law would treat you fine crossing state lines.

Didn't mean to try & rain on your parade either regarding Disney policy, I was just trying to help if you were unfamiliar.

Have a good day.

Palmguy
03-06-12, 15:43
If you feel compelled to carry at Disney, carry on person and don't print. Searches at the gate are usually limited to searches of bags or if you, for instance, are carrying a softball in side pocket of cargo shorts they'd probably ask to see what you have going on. Side note as has been alluded to earlier; Disney policy prohibits anyone except for on-duty LEOs with jurisdiction on the property from being in the parks with a firearm.

You are totally good to go for vehicle carry and storage if that's your thing, I'm personally not a huge fan due to people breaking into cars but to each their own.

If you have a concealed weapon license that is valid in Florida, it is not against the law to carry a concealed weapon on Disney property or in a park. You obviously must comply if you are asked to leave.

Just a Jarhead
03-06-12, 16:21
If you feel compelled to carry at Disney, carry on person and don't print. Searches at the gate are usually limited to searches of bags or if you, for instance, are carrying a softball in side pocket of cargo shorts they'd probably ask to see what you have going on. Side note as has been alluded to earlier; Disney policy prohibits anyone except for on-duty LEOs with jurisdiction on the property from being in the parks with a firearm.

You are totally good to go for vehicle carry and storage if that's your thing, I'm personally not a huge fan due to people breaking into cars but to each their own.

If you have a concealed weapon license that is valid in Florida, it is not against the law to carry a concealed weapon on Disney property or in a park. You obviously must comply if you are asked to leave.

This is absolutely correct. Disney is not on the list of No Carry area's in the law (see page 2 & 3 --> http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf .
"NO GUNS" signs in Florida have absolutely no force of law. See page 4 -->http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

It is private property though and they can ask you to leave if you are printing and they search you. But you can not be arrested or charged with anything unless you refuse to leave. May not be worth the hassle. They will not give you a second chance to get back into the park. Otherwise feel free to conceal carry away while in Disney World And/or leave it in your car!

glockeyed
03-06-12, 16:24

this^

here is a link to FL state statues. (http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/0790ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2011&Title=-%3E2011-%3EChapter%20790). transporting in a car is in there (i don't have time to find it for you right now) look for "securely encased"

outrider627
03-06-12, 16:39
Disney security is good at spotting things, so if you're gonna carry into the parks, make sure you don't print at all. Also, don't clip anything onto your pocket, whether its a knife or flashlight or whatever. They will see it and stop you and ask what you're carrying.

Obviously, if you are discovered they will ask you to surrender the item and/or leave. I know they will take knives and put it in secure storage at the gate office if you give it to them. I don't know what they would do with a handgun. Most likely they'll ask you to leave. Don't argue with them, because that will escalate the situation to armed trespassing and each park has at least one on duty LEO at the gate.

Evil Bert
03-06-12, 16:43
Gotcha. I've never felt the need to carry my rifle with me to Disney, but I think just following Fed law would treat you fine crossing state lines.

Didn't mean to try & rain on your parade either regarding Disney policy, I was just trying to help if you were unfamiliar.

Have a good day.

Oh no - fully appreciate your comments. We go to disney every year for 10 days. So this is like the 12th time we have gone. Just the first year I plan on thing my M4. You never know when this shit will hit the fan and my fear is I am stuck far from home with only a pistol and a few rounds, etc. I am weird... I know. :secret:

ST911
03-07-12, 12:13
I had no difficulty with Disney security at each of the parks. Same for Universal, SeaWorld, others. I made few if any tweaks to my normal practices. I was surprised at what I could have gotten in had I wanted to.

As always, active screening measures at the gates are only as good as the employee performing them and how motivated they are that day. Look dull, and pick a favorable screener.

Orlando airport personnel were pretty easy with only a minor hiccup, and TSA was as effective as ever.

Iraqgunz
03-07-12, 13:17
I lived in GA and used to have a permit from there. As I recall it (and if you use Google you will find plenty of info about GA laws) you do not need a permit to carry a loaded firearm in your vehicle, house, or business. IIRC Georgia considers your vehicle an extension of your home.

In order to carry in GA you will need either a GA permit or other one recognized by them.

This is what my Google-Fu revealed-

Basically, to carry a long gun you do not have to have a license to carry as long as you are not prohibited from owning a firearm. To carry a handgun openly or concealed in the state of Georgia (other than on your property or inside your home, car, or your place of business), you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129. To carry a knife designed for offense with a blade over 5 inches you must have a Georgia Weapons Carry License (or the older Georgia Firearm License) issued under code 16-11-129. There are exceptions, read below to find out what those are.