PDA

View Full Version : Reactive Target Advice

ReRun
03-06-12, 15:23
Hey guys, planning a range trip this weekend and want to find some cheap suitable materials other than steel to create targets.

I am wanting something similar to the duraseal material but am concerned there may be some densities/thicknesses of rubber that won't absorb well causing ricochets. I'll be shooting .22-9mm-5.56.

I found a thick (2 inch) non-slip rubber mat that I was thinking of cutting targets from. Should I have any concerns from this? It's my first time to build a reactive target used for pistol ranges.

jaibo
03-06-12, 15:49
All I use here at the house is old political signs...Now if you are trying to build something for a silhouette target just do a quickie w/ 2x4's....that way there is no ricochet.... I have found the rubber self sealing targets a few times 1/2 off and picked up a few. The big Do-All gongs are good, they just don't move too much when hit.

ReRun
03-06-12, 17:06
Yeah, I typically shoot cardboard or paper with wooden stands. Looking for feedback on material that will react when hit and can be used for closer up pistol work as well as rifle. I guess I'm more concerned with what types of things (outside of the obvious) should I not use because its a safety hazard. Wasn't sure about things like thick rubber mats.

ReRun
03-08-12, 12:19
No thoughts on this from the gallery? C'mon, surely just about everything under the sun has been shot by this group at some point. I built a stand last night and will take a few things to try out as targets.

If no one has thoughts I guess I'll post an update and let you know how it works.

JSantoro
03-08-12, 13:07
Depends upon how close-up...but sandbags.

Like with steel, I wouldn't want to shoot them any closer than 7-10 yards with pistol....the stuff that fills them can come at you like spalls, even if it's no-kidding sand or soil with no rocks or gravel in it...but they're something you can pick up at a Lowe's or a nursery in sizable numbers, can be hung, and you'll definitely see something happening when they take a hit.

Downside:

-- They degrade fairly quick, so be prepared to replace them
-- If you don't simply suspend them from a rope or such, putting them on a stand or backer means a heightened risk for some weird bullet path/ricochet. Add distance or find other ways to mitigate.