PDA

View Full Version : Buy more guns/gear or learn a new skill?

Reagans Rascals
03-07-12, 05:47
Recently trying to decide between buying a few new guns (new calibers), some new shooting related gear, and some shooting related training or maybe going a different route and putting the money towards maybe learning a new skill or 2 such as getting a Rotocraft add-on and/or possibly a Seaplane add-on so I can broaden my flying abilities and be a little more versatile in my means of E&E :big_boss:....

Which do you find to be more beneficial in the long run?

guns/gear/training or learning a new skill

MistWolf
03-07-12, 05:54
If you expand your flying skills, it can lead to more money which will allow you to buy more firearms.

So the answer is- learning more will get you more. Ok, maybe this isn't what you meant as you mention the flying skills as a means of E&E. But still, learning skills to increase your income is the way to go

Reagans Rascals
03-07-12, 06:02
If you expand your flying skills, it can lead to more money which will allow you to buy more firearms.

So the answer is- learning more will get you more. Ok, maybe this isn't what you meant as you mention the flying skills as a means of E&E. But still, learning skills to increase your income is the way to go

the E&E was just there for comedic effect.

To have any perceived benefit from obtaining a Rotorcraft rating, besides sheer personal enjoyment, such as gaining employment, it would be years coming due to flight time minimums to be considered insurable...

basically it's just which do you feel would be more valuable an asset, multiple guns/ammo/gear on hand or an increased ability in other ways such as flying.

essentially ask yourself, which would be more beneficial to you... another gun... or maybe learning to fly

rob_s
03-07-12, 06:35
Easy
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/05/training-balance-and-how-good-is-good.html
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/06/training-balance-and-how-good-is-good.html

Once you have priorities these decisions are cake. I see the majority of people flailing around with no goals and no purpose (check out any of the "critique my build" threads). With goals and a clear purpose (stated or simply in mind), everything becomes much, much easier.

This is where someone will come in and say that the two choices presented here represent two different goals. If you see it that way, you're not really setting goals correctly and instead are setting a variety of disparate goals that will always be in conflict because they have no one, unifying, master goal that they all feed.

MistWolf
03-11-12, 04:36
For myself, broadening my skillset would be more beneficial than buying a new firearm, especially in a new caliber. Having the skills would increase my options when changing jobs and/or negotiating better pay. Plus, as my skillsets broaden, I personally gain greater confidence. Broadening my skillset has also kept me employed at good jobs while others struggled just to find work. My skills also allow me to do things for myself that I would otherwise have to pay somebody else to do. When an opportunity has come my way, having the skills needed has allowed me to seize it.

Increasing your skills is definitely more beneficial than new firearms, calibers and gear. How are you gonna use that stuff without having the skills to do so?

Armati
03-11-12, 18:45
The Army struggles with this all of the time. Culturally, Americans like to try to solve problems with some sort of new widget when what is really in order is better training.

duece71
03-11-12, 21:34
Recently trying to decide between buying a few new guns (new calibers), some new shooting related gear, and some shooting related training or maybe going a different route and putting the money towards maybe learning a new skill or 2 such as getting a Rotocraft add-on and/or possibly a Seaplane add-on so I can broaden my flying abilities and be a little more versatile in my means of E&E :big_boss:....

Which do you find to be more beneficial in the long run?

guns/gear/training or learning a new skill

Rotocraft=expensive. It would be fun though. There are not as many Helo pilot jobs out there as fixed wing. Most of the Corporate helo jobs pay very well and those dudes retire from that gig. Seaplane rating would be more for fun unless you want to fly in Alaska as a bush pilot. Not much pay money and a fairly large increase in the risk of the flying job. JMO. As far as shooting is concerned, I am in the same boat, only I have decided to stop collecting rifles/handguns/shotguns and learn to use what I have. I would vote for training and practice with the gear you have to find out what you like or don't like. Good luck.

sadmin
03-11-12, 21:57
New skill. I wish I could learn how to do other car fixes besides oil change and tire change. There is a higher probability that I will need to use that skill and I know bupkis about cars / trucks. I can follow directions like a SOB though, maybe I just need to buy a manual and stick it in my truck.

Wake27
03-11-12, 23:35
Easy
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/05/training-balance-and-how-good-is-good.html
http://www.kyledefoor.com/2010/06/training-balance-and-how-good-is-good.html

Once you have priorities these decisions are cake. I see the majority of people flailing around with no goals and no purpose (check out any of the "critique my build" threads). With goals and a clear purpose (stated or simply in mind), everything becomes much, much easier.

This is where someone will come in and say that the two choices presented here represent two different goals. If you see it that way, you're not really setting goals correctly and instead are setting a variety of disparate goals that will always be in conflict because they have no one, unifying, master goal that they all feed.

That post has a lot of wisdom.

As for the OP, I usually don't look at everything right now as SHTF this and SHTF that. I feel VERY out of place every time I find myself in the disaster prep thread where those guys all have 8,000 magazines and 3 billion rounds of each caliber. That being said, unless you can make a profit, or have some type of reward other than being happy, come out of either shooting or flying, I would just say do which would make you happier - go with your first instinct. If you can accurately engage a few targets at various practical ranges with your primary weapon systems, you probably won't benefit a whole lot from taking a balls out class on shooting and individual tactics (unless you're likely to be in a situation that would require such training). But, if you would get more enjoyment out of that (I probably would), do that.

NWPilgrim
03-12-12, 03:43
Depends on where you are with guns and firearms training today, and where you are in your career. You have to have some balance and not get carried away in one area and let others go stale. Are you proficient in the use of firearms for what you want to use them for? Is your job in jeopardy and new skills would improve your employability?

All things being about even I generally favor more skills. But it has to be for a purpose, not just any old skill that will not be productive for you or not used and end up stale itself. Skills not used soon become only memories.

The_War_Wagon
03-12-12, 07:07
I have been reducing calibers since 9/11, NOT expanding them (other than .22LR). STREAMLINING is part of my preparation.

That said, I'd DEFINITELY go the 'new skillset' route. As an old dog, I NEED to learn new tricks! :o

QuickStrike
03-12-12, 19:49
I'm trying to buy less guns and more practice ammo myself.

All those new guns you bought and put in a safe at home, aren't gonna save your life like some solid skill would IMO.

Sometimes I do tire of testing new guns for reliability and making sure the sights are on, fussing over accessories, etc..

Also being perpetually broke from buying guns just suck. :D

theblackknight
03-13-12, 01:16
Do both. Make a ultralite gunship.

No balls